• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Earl is viewed as a 8 by Borthwick.
So don't see Dombrandt and Mercer going.

Can see another flanker option going instead

Earl is viewed as a 8 by Borthwick.
So don't see Dombrandt and Mercer going.

Can see another flanker option going instead
Is that necessarily true? Borthwick had Earl playing 7 until Billy got banned. I don't think it's as binary as Borthwick seeing Earl as a flanker or 8; he sees him as a back rower who is very capable at both.

Also unsure what other flanker is really in contention beyond the 5 already in there.

So are these 4 expecting to play for England until they are 65? What happens when they no longer make the team (on merit)?

(in reply to the X post on the new England player representation setup)

Every time Mako and Cole are mentioned somewhere an angel is crying.

'Owen Farrell is considering turning his back on English rugby, with the Saracens fly-half in talks to sign a multi-year contract with Racing 92, Telegraph Sport understands.

Farrell's contract with Saracens, his boyhood club, runs out at the end of this season and, in a bombshell development, Stuart Lancaster's club on the outskirts of Paris are closing in on the signature of England's best known player.

Midi Olympique and L'Equipe, France's respective rugby and sport newspapers, reported on Friday that Farrell was in "advanced talks" with Racing 92 from the start of next season, reuniting with World Cup team-mate and England starlet, Henry Arundell. The papers reported that Farrell would sign either a two or three-year deal, with L'Equipe adding that a verbal agreement had been made between the two parties.'

'By November 2024, the Rugby Football Union will have offered up to 25 'hybrid' (enhanced Elite Player Squad) contracts to its England internationals. The identities of those offered hybrid contracts remains uncertain - aside from Arundell, Maro Itoje and Jamie George - but should Farrell cross the Channel at the end of the season, with his international future undefined, it could be that the offer of a hybrid contract was not forthcoming from the RFU. Farrell was, however, offered the chance to remain Saracens' marquee player ahead of Itoje in November.'

So if he signs before the Six Nations then they will have to pretty much confirm a new full time captain. If he hasn't then they might continue with the rumoured plan that every match might have a different captain.

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts on that squad.

Firstly (I hate saying this) I don't think Pearson deserves a call up right now. Just haven't seen anything to say he's playing at that level unfortunately.

Watson isn't playing at the moment so how can we have him in the England squad. He's not fit and shouldn't be near the team yet.

Tight head makes me want to cry. Can we not just find a SA with an English granny?

Not so sure SB will recall Dombrant, who knows.

Firstly (I hate saying this) I don't think Pearson deserves a call up right now. Just haven't seen anything to say he's playing at that level unfortunately.
I think Pearson deserves a call up, he's had two seasons as one of the top backrowers in the country - that's enough for me.
I would look at him as a 6 though, wouldn't start him at 7 over the other options

Tight head makes me want to cry. Can we not just find a SA with an English granny?
Literally Nick Schonert :p
He's had an iffy season though, some massive games some pretty poor - he's got a tendon issue in his foot that they're having to manage, some weeks he can barely walk some weeks he's 100% fine

Sinfield to leave altogether after the summer tour. Seems daft to have him in a new role for a few months and then depart just as his message might be starting to filter through. Similar principle for Strawbridge, what's the point of a few weeks?

Slightly surprised that Wiggles remains.

You can't really judge Harrison on Marler, George and Cole - they'd be teaching him. Have to look at how he develops others….a lot of work to do.
Not a massive fan of having him in charge of the attack.

With regards to Farrell I was hugely shocked to see him being linked so strongly with a move abroad. I just assumed he'd finish at Sarries. Sounds like he's properly turned his back on England. I don't blame him tbf. It's a joke the amount of abuse he gets.

Telegraph claiming that Borthwick has spoken to feyi-waboso. Also name dropped ton of other players Roots, Slade and Fisalau from Exeter. Freeman, Obano, Haffar, Brantingham and Baxter others he has been impressed with

Which ultimately means he has been talking to Young's and May to rethink retirement and will call up both Vunipolas 🙄
Has it come out how Feyi Waboso is qualified for England?

I do wonder if it will make the RFU long term look self sabotaging as with the club game less popular than the international game it could come across to a public more familiar with football and the sucess Harry Kane and Jude Bellingham are having abroad.

Hardly new though, with folks like Charles Richardson, the Mekon and that ******* hack Fissler around

Latest posts