• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Hmmmm...
Is it okay to theorise here? There's certainly a dark mystery to this show.
2 episodes in, and Ali and I have got:
The show's title - highly unusual in being essentially impossible to use as a search term. Rabbie Burns would consider this a spoiler for our theory.
Writers from Lost.
Theme tune by The Pixies (thanks for the confirmation)
Travel by tree - to an unearthly realm no less
Surrounded by forest
Runestones of protection (our theory would be stronger if these were flint arrow/spear heads [yes, I know, scrapers not spear heads])
Promises / bargains going horribly wrong (enchantment?)
Story told by the siblings in the campervan - (We both feel that we should be able to identify a "lake of tears" but can't, certainly can identify other bits of Norman's story though)
Ominous murder of rows (in title sequence and travel-by-tree)
A "host" of monsters

We're far from firm in our theory, (of course, 2 episodes), but I'm expecting:
Lumps of iron to counter the Host
Horses (probably black)
Gifts of food
Glamour
More bargaining than "we can help" and "I'm granny, honest"
A ring of mushrooms surrounding the entire town

Half expecting the Grimm's, Lady Guest or Gaiman to get a consulting credit.

Last edited:
Hmmmm....
S01E03
So, is Burnham Wood coming to Dunsinane?
Geography is famously as trustworthy as the inhabitants of the... realm I'm theorising about.

S01E04
I remember a tree, upon a hill,
If it stood there then, does it stand there still?
If it doesn't stand still, but moves about,
Then open the gate, and let it out.
Spike Milligan
Yes, yes they do move about.

Confirmation of the "travel by tree" aspect, rather than the one ambiguous shown and the throw away comment. Everyone got here by tree - except Victor, the original inhabitant from the 60s.
And the single most obvious tree-portal you've ever seen.
Professor Umbridge / Death mark messages... I'm drawing a blank in terms of my theorising.
Victor (poor kid, how long was he alone for? Decades? That'd go quite some way to explaining his... erm... awkward social interactions.

"Interesting" that they only need a map of (contiguous) USA to notate everyone's portal of arrival. Seems odd that t respects human borders that way. I don't put this down to anything in the lore though.

@Which Tyler it seems you really like this show. But more I was watching it,more it reminded me "Lost" (as I mentioned before), so I'm already prepared for the same: more and more mysteries and..no real explanation in the end. Although I love Lost, but I wouldn't put too many expectations on the scenario this time either.
I liked "Jasmine" for some reason, don't remember what was the episode 😄:
Jasmine_pro.jpg

Started Rings of Power season 2. Remembered the 1920's Daily Telegraph style Irish caricature hobbits existed and stopped watching.

In all seriousness it really is a dull show for me. Just feels so small and narrow, despite being the most expensive TV ever.

Last edited:
I just watched this excellent movie on Amazon Prime. 👍

1725693619042.png

Last edited:
At the risk of rekindling the "is it right to boycott a cast/crew of hundreds because of the actions of one man?" debate...

At the risk of rekindling the "is it right to boycott a cast/crew of hundreds because of the actions of one man?" debate...

Hmmmm its hard, on one its hard to separate Sandman from Gaiman the TV show has been driven by him quite vehemently so it hard to separate it from him.

The other is Gaiman has denied the allegation (naturally) but also hasn't denied his relations to these women just that it was consensual. Unlike Brand/Singer/Spacey/Depp/Whedon (why has Depp been allowed a career back?) where these things were pretty much an open secret Gaiman has pretty much a reputation of being a stand up bloke. I guess time will tell but I'm unsure if he's quite for the noose yet.

I think we had the discussion around the Harry Potter TV series before.
Personally, I generally try to separate the art from the artist - but I don't always succeed - which in turn means I'm more towards the not-boycotting end of the scale by inclination.
I also try to balance my personal decisions on the severity of the offence, and how many others such a boycott (if widespread enough to cause cancellation) would be hurt. And, of course, trying to tie it to the norms of the time the offence was committed.

I think I brought up examples of Clapton, JKR-as-author and JKR-as-showrunner before.
Clapton as a solo artist, or JKR as author seem like a well targetted boycotts. As in, yeah, there are a few other people who'd be effected, the sound technician or the editor, for example, but 99% of the impact would be felt by the individual. Equally, they won't be harmed at all by me boycotting things of theirs that I already own.
On the other hand, my reading of potter isn't likely to be affected by her stance on Trans-rights, as it just doesn't come up in those books (though I believe it does in her detective novels, which aren't my genre). But my listening of some of Clapton's lyrics, and singing of things like Swing Low will absolute be tarnished by his views. For Gaiman, some of the stories (Caliope springs to mind immediately) would be tarnished, and as part of an anthology such as Sandman, that would probably spread.
JKR (or Gaiman) as show-runner - yes, they're a driving force and will be personally impacted by a possible cancellation, but so will 1 dozen directors who are even more of a driving force, and another dozen producers who may or may not be equally involved, not to mention the principle actors who would be massively affected, and the bit-part actors who might struggle to get another job in the industry - the camera-men, CGI artists and hundreds to thousands of others who are heavily involved in the project, even if they're not the faces...
So it's just... more complicated than that - for me at least.

Gaiman-specific allegations probably need a thread of their own - but yeah, so far, they seem more disappointing than abhorrent. coerced consent and/or power differentials rather than a frank lack of consent - which in turn is a relatively new form/severity of offence. NB, I believe some of the Gaiman allegations are pretty historic, but others are more recent - I generally rely on Ali to tell me these things as I have no time for celebrity gossip, and she's refusing to look into these as she's a huge Gaiman-fan and is wanting to not tarnish his works in her mind's eye. She largely (but not entirely) agree with me on the above, as we do discuss these things in the round.

Last edited:

Latest posts