• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

So if Ford and Farrell both move abroad and are not available from the autumn onwards who else is there alongside Smith.

So if Ford and Farrell both move abroad and are not available from the autumn onwards who else is there alongside Smith.
Fin Smith.

Possibly Charlie Atkinson if the move to Gloucester works out.

And if Fin Smith goes to Scotland as is rumoured?
Scotland wanting him doesn't mean he's rumoured to go,
He's born and raised in England, plays in England, played for England age grades, trained with England seniors, has made no indication that he wants to play for Scotland

I do wonder if it will make the RFU long term look self sabotaging as with the club game less popular than the international game it could come across to a public more familiar with football and the sucess Harry Kane and Jude Bellingham are having abroad.
I guess he is as English as the likes of Rowlands, Tompkins, Thomas et el are Welsh. For me unless one your parents directly qualifies you, you should not qualify to play for a nation based on a few years residency or a grandparent....

Going back to the case in point. I would not rule out FW playing for England given the state of finances in Wales and the lure of a hybrid contract if he continues to play well

I guess he is as English as the likes of Rowlands, Tompkins, Thomas et el are Welsh. For me unless one your parents directly qualifies you, you should not qualify to play for a nation based on a few years residency or a grandparent....

Going back to the case in point. I would not rule out FW playing for England given the state of finances in Wales and the lure of a hybrid contract if he continues to play well
I wasn't talking about him. I was talking about Farrell going to France and the confusion for non club rugby followers that moving abroad bans you from the national teams.

And if Fin Smith goes to Scotland as is rumoured? Not a great pool.

It's the most high profile postion in rugby.
Perhaps not, but that's not unusual.

France have Ntamack, Jalibert, Hastoy and Carbonel. No other nation has that kind of depth.

Closer to home, Sexton seems to have a successor in Crowley, but he's a significant step down from what they've been used to. Ross and Harry Byrne don't inspire confidence and Carty and Carbery aren't good enough.

It's probably even worse for Wales with Biggar's retirement and Anscombe almost permanently injured. They seem to be looking at Owen Williams or Ioan Lloyd …

After Russell, Scotland have Hastings who is a bit of a crock and doesn't seem to be favoured by Townsend or Kinghorn played out of position. That's why they're chasing Fin Smith.

He qualifies through his dad I think?

Perhaps not, but that's not unusual.

France have Ntamack, Jalibert, Hastoy and Carbonel. No other nation has that kind of depth.

Closer to home, Sexton seems to have a successor in Crowley, but he's a significant step down from what they've been used to. Ross and Harry Byrne don't inspire confidence and Carty and Carbery aren't good enough.

It's probably even worse for Wales with Biggar's retirement and Anscombe almost permanently injured. They seem to be looking at Owen Williams or Ioan Lloyd …

After Russell, Scotland have Hastings who is a bit of a crock and doesn't seem to be favoured by Townsend or Kinghorn played out of position. That's why they're chasing Fin Smith.
And we all saw he difference between Pollard and Libbok …

With Mo'unga going, it'll be interesting to see what NZ do. I'd assume McKenzie takes he 10 shirt, but there's not much depth behind him.

And if Fin Smith goes to Scotland as is rumoured? Not a great pool.

It's the most high profile postion in rugby.
So... the argument is that if you take away our top 3 options, our bench option starts looking a little dodgy?
Which makes England somehow unique?
Because every other nation has experienced international quality at 5th and 6th choice for every position,... presumably.

So... the argument is that if you take away our top 3 options, our bench option starts looking a little dodgy?
Which makes England somehow unique?
Because every other nation has experienced international quality at 5th and 6th choice for every position,... presumably.
Except two are probably gone already/gone this summer.

Except two are probably gone already/gone this summer.
Define "probably / already"]
Because so far, Ford is under contract for next year, FSmith has a history of rejecting Scotland's premature offers, and the Farrell rumour has been actively denied - so all are currently well under a 50% probability.
Now that doesn't mean that we're nailed on to have all 3 of them available next year, but certainly nowhere near your "probably / already"

I'm also not convinced Ford would move overseas. IIRC, he was always angling to move 'up North' to feel more at home and be closer to family etc. when he was at Bath. That doesn't suggest he'd particularly covet a move abroad.

Latest posts