• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand vs England 2nd Test (13/07/24)

Issue with Sinckler is or certainly was his ongoing back problem.

I think blooding Baxter will end up being a lot more beneficial than Obano getting a couple more caps. This was his chance to establish himself as 3rd, possibly even 2nd choice loosehead, but now I feel like he will probably be leapfrogged by Baxter.
I agree, Obano is a quality player but he just seems so start stop due to injuries etc. If he can consistently play now with no hindrance then he has a chance.
But with Iyogun, Haffar and Brantingham on the way there's going to be a battle royal for spots...

It hasn't happened in many, many years, but I have new-found respect for England as a rugby side.

I can't think of an England player that didn't make us work hard and some made us work really hard.

Maro Itoje. I'm not a fan of his, but he's a class lock. He was out on his feet at the end of the match, but still giving it everything he had. Bravo Maro.

The prop that replaced Marler, Fin Baxter, can be justifiably proud of his efforts.

Feyi-Waboso has got some wheels, hasn't he? Impressively difficult to handle.

Marcus Smith has got to have a lock on the no 10 jersey after that showing.

Ben Earl needs chaining up - he's a bloody handful that did your loosies proud. All over the park and while he sometimes crosses the line of legality, that's exactly what you want in a no.8

George Martin - rock solid. And only 23. I predict a long, illustrious career ahead of him. He continues to drive forward after contact, which is what you need in a scrappy lock.

Now I've got to give Borthwick a sincere apology. I never rated him as a coach as much as I did his playing, but he's showed me.

Excellent result, even if you went home empty handed. I thoroughly expect we're going to have a tough time of it at what used to be called Fortress Twickenham, and with the way your lot are playing right now, may very well regain that name.

Excellent effort, lads.

In all honesty I'm not writing Sinckler off for the next world cup either.
He seems to acknowledge his issues at least, if he can return to form in a couple years I see him coming back to the league and making the squad.

Generally speaking the last 4 rugby world cups winning squads only 2 props have been under the age of 27
Thomas du toit (24) (Injury call up in 2019)
Owen Franks (23) (2011)

Also interesting only 5 props have had over 50 caps
2023 - Nyakane (62), Malherbe (63)
2019 - Mtawarira (111)
2015 - Franks(77)
2011 - Woodcock (81)
Maybe. I'd like it to happen, but Sinckler has talked a good game for a long while now without ever really backing it up.

I wasn't ruling out Obano on age BTW. My point was more that this tour was an ideal chance for him and the red card was very poorly timed. Baxter came in and did well and there is plenty of competition at loosehead as @Geordie made reference to.

Shame tighthead isn't quite as healthy.

I have new-found respect for England as a rugby side.

EVgyvHhWkAg96_Y.jpg

In all seriousness I think these two sides showed they have their eyes on the world number 1 spot. It's within NZ's reach this year, we'll see how fast Robertson progresses his team and style of play.

For England they probably still need to figure out / develop a few areas. Front row seems to be a concern and their midfield isn't at the level of the other top 5 sides. Don't think it'll be long before Freeman takes that 13 jersey, no shortage of quality on the wings to plug that gap. I think they'll have a strong autumn, struggle a bit in the 6n because of a rough draw and then really come on from there.

Very soon we should have 5 teams capable of beating each other home and away and a well run Schmidt machine with the potential to throw a spanner in the works. Scotland will likely remain as they are also.

I agree with Zootalaws. This England team goes home with the respect of most NZ's.
Unlucky not to pick up one of the two Tests. They'll be very tough for AB's at Twickenham.
One great thing about the two games. No red or yellow cards.

I agree with Zootalaws. This England team goes home with the respect of most NZ's.
Unlucky not to pick up one of the two Tests. They'll be very tough for AB's at Twickenham.
One great thing about the two games. No red or yellow cards.
First time in a long time I just enjoyed being entertained by the game. It felt like both teams were just enjoying the level of game.

Especially enjoyed watching the mesmerising Telea slipping and gliding through, and in particular his incredible try finish in the corner too.

Death in the family meant I could only watch the game today and by God what a game. Felt like a World Cup knockout.

England could have easily won but ABs also left 3 tries on the table.

Beauden Barrett turning back the years was just exhilarating. Perofeta basically played himself out of the starting XV with that performance. Will be interesting to see what happens when Jordan returns.

If anyone's on Dmac's back they need to get off. He had a pretty good game, a few inaccurate kicks aside. His passing was good and one of his skip passes was simply outstanding.

Marcus Smith is some player too. Really impressive. Nearly took the game away from us.

Magnificent test match. More of that please.

Latest posts