• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Would've thought he could get to 25 caps with the length of his deal. Obviously a risk though.
EQP qualification probs impacts him at Exeter too.
I think they closed the loophole about renewing early so never receiving offers from the regions (that Tom Francis used to stay at Exeter for so long) so he'd need 25 caps by the end of next season (I think?) and there's not 25 tests before then

I'm guessing he's heard the WRU aren't dropping that rule because I would've expected him to declare for Wales and hope they bin the rule by the time his current contract runs out

I mean, it's a bit poachy. Can't deny that. Also can't blame England or him for doing so
The main reason I don't think it can be called poaching is that by the sounds of it the RFU haven't done anything duplicitous or underhanded in getting him to defect, ie. guaranteeing him a place in the 23 (*cough* Scotland *cough*). It's a case of the WRU taking themselves firmly out of the race by forcing him into an ultimatum rather than the RFU doing unsavoury things to get ahead in the race.

Add in that he has a legitimate England connection rather than just residency and this really isn't a controversial move at all IMO.

The main reason I don't think it can be called poaching is that by the sounds of it the RFU haven't done anything duplicitous or underhanded in getting him to defect, ie. guaranteeing him a place in the 23 (*cough* Scotland *cough*). It's a case of the WRU taking themselves firmly out of the race by forcing him into an ultimatum rather than the RFU doing unsavoury things to get ahead in the race.

Add in that he has a legitimate England connection rather than just residency and this really isn't a controversial move at all IMO.
Yeah that's fair enough. Though I think these things are not duplicitous most of the time. But this is definitely a WRU problem as I think if we didn't have this rule he'd probably turn down England to play for Wales but as you say we've forced him to make this decision.

I can't really comment on the heritage thing as I have no idea what it is. For all I know both his parents were born in England though, and again I'm assuming, but I'd imagine his parents have been living in Wales for at least as long as Feyi-Waboso was born (so 21 years)

I think they closed the loophole about renewing early so never receiving offers from the regions (that Tom Francis used to stay at Exeter for so long) so he'd need 25 caps by the end of next season (I think?) and there's not 25 tests before then

I'm guessing he's heard the WRU aren't dropping that rule because I would've expected him to declare for Wales and hope they bin the rule by the time his current contract runs out
It's not an extension in the same way though, it's a new deal so surely different? And as long as he isn't capped he can get a contract without affecting him. Whereas Francis was capped and had extensions built into his contract.

Trying to work it out does show how incredibly complicated it all is.

It's not an extension in the same way though, it's a new deal so surely different? And as long as he isn't capped he can get a contract without affecting him. Whereas Francis was capped and had extensions built into his contract.

Trying to work it out does show how incredibly complicated it all is.
Maybe he's out of contract this year, and the rule is your can't get your first cap in a renewal year or something?

Does he deserve to be an England squad? That would be something Id be interested in hearing from chiefs fans. Seems unfair if the it is at the expense of Radwan, Murley et e

On current form, yes. Radwan has scored a couple of good tries and should be involved, but Feyi-Waboso has been standout pretty much all season.

Murley has barely played due to injuries, so it would be understandable not for him to be included.

On current form, yes. Radwan has scored a couple of good tries and should be involved, but Feyi-Waboso has been standout pretty much all season.

Murley has barely played due to injuries, so it would be understandable not for him to be included.
He has only played six games hasn't he ? He has looked good in the snippets I've seen. However is he any better than other current form players such as Reed, or Sleighthome

He has only played six games hasn't he ? He has looked good in the snippets I've seen. However is he any better than other current form players such as Reed, or Sleighthome
9 starts this season (12 including Prem Rugby Cup). He's had a few ****les which has led to him missing games.

For me the most impressing thing about Feyi-Waboso is how much stuff he creates by himself when there's nothing really on. Sleightholme had some good finishes yesterday but really that's what they were: finishes. Feyi-Waboso gets involved around the park and makes stuff out of nothing. Honestly haven't seen too much of Reed this season so won't comment on him.

Would also add that compared to the likes of Murley, Sleightholme, Radwan, Reed, etc. I do see Feyi-Waboso as the most gifted athlete. Not quite as fast as Radwan or Reed but considerably more powerful and perhaps even more powerful than Murley (who I'd say he's noticeably faster than).

Basically in answer to whether he deserves a spot in the full squad; some will say yes, some will say no. I wouldn't say he's an absolute shoe in but I also don't think it can be called a case of just bringing him in to cap him. He is playing great rugby.

I just hope Borthwick doesn't mess him around. England have a history of this, though less under Borthwick. He seems very level headed and I doubt he will take being jerked around for long. If we're genuinely going to cap him as he's good enough then do it. Don't make a big fuss and then not actually do anything.

Sleightholme is a good player but as I've said a good few times before, he cannot string a run of games together.

Right now, there is a huge opportunity for wingers with England. Neither shirt is in any way nailed down.

In theory, Watson would be in one of them. However, he is rarely ever fit these days and hasn't looked great on the few occasions he has played. I'm not even sure I'd pick him in the squad right now.

As I see it, we have a long list of candidates and both slots are open.

Fitness permitting, I'd go with Freeman and Murley as I think that gives a balance of size, power, aerial ability, finishing and kicking skills. With Murley having been mostly absent so far this season, I'd look at either Feyi-Waboso or Radwan. I also like Roebuck.

I like Reed but I see him as offering something similar to Murley, Radwan and Feyi-Waboso, just not quite as good.

Hassell-Collins is interesting, but I feel like he needs time away to bed in at Tigers and get back to the level he was at 18mths ago.

Cokanasiga and Malins will be in the mix, but neither are good enough IMO.

Lynagh is a real wildcard for me. If he can get fully fit, I think he's a contender.

9 starts this season (12 including Prem Rugby Cup). He's had a few ****les which has led to him missing games.

For me the most impressing thing about Feyi-Waboso is how much stuff he creates by himself when there's nothing really on. Sleightholme had some good finishes yesterday but really that's what they were: finishes. Feyi-Waboso gets involved around the park and makes stuff out of nothing. Honestly haven't seen too much of Reed this season so won't comment on him.

Would also add that compared to the likes of Murley, Sleightholme, Radwan, Reed, etc. I do see Feyi-Waboso as the most gifted athlete. Not quite as fast as Radwan or Reed but considerably more powerful and perhaps even more powerful than Murley (who I'd say he's noticeably faster than).

Basically in answer to whether he deserves a spot in the full squad; some will say yes, some will say no. I wouldn't say he's an absolute shoe in but I also don't think it can be called a case of just bringing him in to cap him. He is playing great rugby.

And what, 5 or 6 before this year?

Yes, he's an evident talent and playing great rugby but we can't even call him a one season wonder yet let alone think about second season syndrome and we have no idea how he'll deal with the inevitable dip in form.Taking a step back it's almost comical that we're talking about someone so inexperienced in the context of national teams and potentially playing at the highest levels the game has to offer.

Watson for me is the same as Manu. We know he's good enough, but he has a long history of injuries. Let him play at club level and don't push him too hard. If we're desperate he can always slot in quickly.

The lads immense. We'll be down this season and even if by a miracle we're not...there's gonna be a host of incredibly talented young kids leaving us and moving to top sides...Pepper will be one of them.
Feel sorry for your supporters. I'm from Consett (now based in the Midlands) and a few of my mates are Falcons fans. They're very depressed about the future of the club. Hopefully they can find some owners who want to take the club forward soon.

I reckon they'll cap him in the A Game but have him in the full EPS (I initially thought EPS and A squad would be separate but if it is going to be a 50man EPS I could see a number of those playing in the A Game but training with the proper squad)

Senior squad I reckon we're gonna be pretty disappointed with and SB will go with three of Watson/Malins/Daly/Steward (though after dropping Malins in the world cup I'm hoping he's not as high up the pecking order and might get replaced)

I've not seen much mention of him really but is Thorley still on the radar? He looked decent for Gloucester today.

And what, 5 or 6 before this year?

Yes, he's an evident talent and playing great rugby but we can't even call him a one season wonder yet let alone think about second season syndrome and we have no idea how he'll deal with the inevitable dip in form.Taking a step back it's almost comical that we're talking about someone so inexperienced in the context of national teams and potentially playing at the highest levels the game has to offer.
I see the point, but on the flip side England can definitely be accused of being too conservative in their selections at times. I'm not saying pick him, but just because he's young and new doesn't mean you have to dismiss him either. From what I've seen (which is admittedly limited), he is exactly the kind of player England have been missing. Someone who can make good breaks in limited space. He's a player who you would be genuinely excited to see get the ball and there haven't been too many of them for England. We used to have Robinson, Manu did the job in a different way. May could create something out of nothing, but tbh could also spend the game running sideways. Arundel was hyped up, but he's gone now. Maybe it's a bit harsh on the other players, but how many of them are regularly making breaks from absolutely no where?

Latest posts