• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Press fairly united in thinking the Farrell deal is just a matter of time. McCall not being drawn but talking of transitions and ends of journeys - likes of Goode, Maitland and the Vunipolae all coming to the end too, but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't happen.

On Farrell, clearly all the abuse has been a part but I wonder just how much the tedious treadmill of international rugby was a factor - the never ending camps, the same opposition etc. His Dad likely to coach the Lions is an added complication - I suspect senior would make it very hard for junior to avoid accusations of bias.

Whichever 10 we end up with we must play to their strengths. I like M Smith a lot but there's no point playing him with instructions to stick the ball in the air.

Agree with @BPM on Ford being settled up north, but anyone's head can be turned by a large cheque book especially if it's a final deal.

Your penultimate paragraph is the key. Smith really needs to be given the opportunity to properly run the show in a set up that maximises or at least takes advantage of his strengths. Picking him and asking him to constantly kick the ball away would be such a criminal waste.

It's not just the 10 either. The kicking strategy is an insult to the ability of most of our backs, who are capable of so much more.

It's not just the 10 either. The kicking strategy is an insult to the ability of most of our backs, who are capable of so much more.
What compounds how bad a strategy kicking the leather off it. Is that we hardly ever steal opposition ball off their line out and also look likely to get cut open if they run it back at us
If anything I'd suggest a kick chase set piece arm wrestle strategy, is juxtaposed to the actual playing staff we have. Thus the poor results and performances. Since we attempted to copy South Africa's strategy post 19 wc

Not exactly full England, but Eng U20 have a warm-up match against Bath United ahead of the J6N
Match Report

Really hate that
WRU being ******* idiots, they need to draft in an amendment for uncapped/players from foreign academies asap

Really hate that
WRU being ******* idiots, they need to draft in an amendment for uncapped/players from foreign academies asap
Has it changed from allowing them to call someone up who wasn't offered a contract in Wales?

I feel very conflicted here … I'm strongly opposed to poaching. However, when we are very often on the receiving end of this, a little occasional payback seems sort of fair … I emphasise the 'sort of' as I genuinely believe he should be playing for Wales.

As @TRF_Olyy has said, Wales are machine gunning themselves in the feet here.

Really hate that

He sounds very level headed, seeking stability and thinking of his long term future beyond rugby and if a by product of that is choosing England over Wales then so be it. I'm quite impressed with his rationale.

Has it changed from allowing them to call someone up who wasn't offered a contract in Wales?
The issue is that he has multiple years left on his medical degree and he wouldn't be allowed to play for Wales beyond his current contract without moving to a region (which he wouldn't be able to do without giving up on his degree)

How's he actually eligible?

Pretty crazy that Cardiff Uni didn't accept him since he had the grades and is also y'know, an elite rugby player. I'd have thought they'd be leaping to give him a scholarship.

Apparently one of his parents was born in England, though everyone's being incredibly vague about it
In that case I have literally no issue with this. We have a legitimate claim to him; it's not just some residency ********. Wales have had every single opportunity to capture him and have rejected him every step of the way.

There's no reasonable way that this can be considered poaching. He's a good player with his head screwed firmly on, I'd welcome him with open arms.

Bit of a shame but not to gutted as we have lots of decent wing options and ultimately don't want anyone who doesn't want to play for wales. Can't blame him as he has to put his studies and long term future first I suppose but yeah, **** him. lol

In that case I have literally no issue with this. We have a legitimate claim to him; it's not just some residency ********. Wales have had every single opportunity to capture him and have rejected him every step of the way.

There's no reasonable way that this can be considered poaching. He's a good player with his head screwed firmly on, I'd welcome him with open arms.
I mean, it's a bit poachy. Can't deny that. Also can't blame England or him for doing so

Actually **** that, i'm being way too nice. No welshman should ever join England. First the Vunipola's and Randall now this dude. They're dead to me.

The issue is that he has multiple years left on his medical degree and he wouldn't be allowed to play for Wales beyond his current contract without moving to a region (which he wouldn't be able to do without giving up on his degree)
Would've thought he could get to 25 caps with the length of his deal. Obviously a risk though.
EQP qualification probs impacts him at Exeter too.

Latest posts