• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Japan vs England - 22/06/24

Is that 2 consecutive red cards for Ewels at international level?

Although I want Japan to get something from this game, I don't want Eddie Jones to get anything from this game.

Overall job done. After the frantic start England settled and never really lost control and tbh not really tested.

Probably the top 3 for me were Underhill, Earl and probably Mitchell.

1st Japanese try should have been avoided, but 2nd was just some fantastic handling skill.

Win is always good, but NZ will be a far tougher test.

Overall very happy with that, japan threw alot at us and we kept them out in that first half, we took our chances well and looked decent.

By no means the finished article have alot to work on to beat NZ but we should be competitive and have a decent chance.

Please can someone help? England had nine forwards on (before Ewels idiotic card). A forward replaced Freeman I think, but I missed why?

Please can someone help? England had nine forwards on (before Ewels idiotic card). A forward replaced Freeman I think, but I missed why?
Presumably because we only had 3 backs on the bench - pretty standard.

Can't say that I noticed it though.

Surprised that neither coach is speaking Japanese. Eddie is certainly fluent, and Borthwick spent 4 years over there.
That sort of thing goes a long way, but I guess that have an eye on the English-speaking press.

Had we not used all our subs by that point? Did we go down to 13 when Freeman went off?

Marler came on just after halftime, definitely saw Dan out there, Ewels obv was on and Curry came on for Underhill (who somehow came back on for CCS and stayed on for the rest of the game, so not sure how that worked)
Unless Stuart came on for Freeman but pretty sure he was already on by then too

Had we not used all our subs by that point? Did we go down to 13 when Freeman went off?

Marler came on just after halftime, definitely saw Dan out there, Ewels obv was on and Curry came on for Underhill (who somehow came back on for CCS and stayed on for the rest of the game, so not sure how that worked)
Unless Stuart came on for Freeman but pretty sure he was already on by then too
Does Ewels count as coming on? I thought he just decided to be a *** again and get himself sent off.

Not a lot to read into that bar job done against an overpowered, inexperienced team. Little more than a shakedown before the main event.

M Smith started v well but went a bit south, missing a couple from the tee and picking up his yellow.

Can't argue at all with the Ewels decision and glad Leitch wasn't badly hurt. On a personal level I do feel for him a bit having fought so hard to come back from a horrendous injury and the humiliation of the Ire red. But a stupid action that will almost certainly finish his Eng career on a real low.

Underhill really is in form. Pleasure to see.

Had no problems with the rugbypass coverage. Well done them.

Latest posts