• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

The Telegraph in two different articles says the squad is announced on January 18th with no mention of anything important or interesting happening today,

Reshuffle in/confirmation of the coaching staff:

Felix Jones confirmed as Defence Coach
Kevin Sinfield moves to Skills and Kicking coach
Andrew Strawbridge (ex-All Blacks skills consultant) on a short term deal (first 4 weeks of the 6N) focusing on the breakdown
Wigglesworth remains as Attack Coach
Tom Harrison remains as Scrum Coach

Reshuffle in/confirmation of the coaching staff:

Felix Jones confirmed as Defence Coach
Kevin Sinfield moves to Skills and Kicking coach
Andrew Strawbridge (ex-All Blacks skills consultant) on a short term deal (first 4 weeks of the 6N) focusing on the breakdown
Wigglesworth remains as Attack Coach
Tom Harrison remains as Scrum Coach

Sinfield to leave altogether after the summer tour. Seems daft to have him in a new role for a few months and then depart just as his message might be starting to filter through. Similar principle for Strawbridge, what's the point of a few weeks?

Slightly surprised that Wiggles remains.

You can't really judge Harrison on Marler, George and Cole - they'd be teaching him. Have to look at how he develops others….a lot of work to do.

I get that but if the World Cup taught us one thing it's that you need a properly powered up front 5.

Haven't seen too much of Isiekwe this year bar one game in the flesh when he was excellent. One stat I saw this morning is that he has the 2nd most line out steals in the Prem, only behind McFarland.

I wouldn't be looking at Baxter for LH yet as he's not a first choice for his club. OK, he's got Marler in the way but that should be a minimum requirement.
But Coles hasn't looked underpowered against any of the big teams this year, nor have saints forwards in general. Overall Coles is ahead of Tizzard and Isiekwe in terms of skills and gameplay but he is still a 5 so would be competing for that Chessum spot with Martin clearly a 4 and Itoje still a hybrid.

I wonder if Itoje packed on a bit of weight after Borthwick took over and the terrible jones' influences wore off.

Seems daft to have him in a new role for a few months and then depart just as his message might be starting to filter through. Similar principle for Strawbridge, what's the point of a few weeks?
Probably can't afford to buy out the remaining 6months on his contract, after already buying out however long of his Leicester one

Martin clearly a 4
Locks are weird in England, I've noticed most (all?) teams in the league have their 4 packing down at 5
I'd say Martin is definitely a tighthead lock in terms of frame and playstyle - as is Wiese at Sale - but both wear 4 and packdown at 5

Locks are weird in England, I've noticed most (all?) teams in the league have their 4 packing down at 5
I'd say Martin is definitely a tighthead lock in terms of frame and playstyle - as is Wiese at Sale - but both wear 4 and packdown at 5
Yep, been that way for a while. Think the only exception may be Sarries where Itoje always wears 4 and I think does always scrummage at loosehead.

What's even weirder is that while at Tigers Borthwick operated with that system but since moving to England has always had his tighthead lock actually wear the 5 shirt.

I don't get it at all but I guess it doesn't really matter either. You can generally tell which of a lock pair is going to scrummage at tighthead just by looking at them.

But Coles hasn't looked underpowered against any of the big teams this year, nor have saints forwards in general. Overall Coles is ahead of Tizzard and Isiekwe in terms of skills and gameplay but he is still a 5 so would be competing for that Chessum spot with Martin clearly a 4 and Itoje still a hybrid.

I wonder if Itoje packed on a bit of weight after Borthwick took over and the terrible jones' influences wore off.

Was making the general point about underpower v form rather than Coles specifically. If he's becoming a genuine option then great.

I'm less keen on distinguishing 4s and 5s. In particular both need to provide serious ballast to the scrum. I strongly prefer both to be salmon on steroids in the line out and while conceding a back rower can cover that I prefer to see them as another not instead. And I want both to hit horribly hard in the tackle and breakdown. And both must be at least 6' 7" 😀

Isn't Launchbury going OK at Quins?

Telegraph claiming that Borthwick has spoken to feyi-waboso. Also name dropped ton of other players Roots, Slade and Fisalau from Exeter. Freeman, Obano, Haffar, Brantingham and Baxter others he has been impressed with

Which ultimately means he has been talking to Young's and May to rethink retirement and will call up both Vunipolas 🙄

Also name dropped ton of other players Roots, Slade and Fisalau from Exeter.
How's he England qualified? Must be parents/grandparents.

Also surprised he's name dropped Haffar. He's played 2 prem games this season, both off the bench.

He will play for Scotland now im pretty sure. English dad Scottish mother after all. Can't blame the lad in all fairness....
Yep, sadly means he'll likely leave Sale at the end of the season
Sanderson said they're negotiating against Edinburgh, I'm guessing the SRU will sweeten the deal to get him to leave England

Latest posts