• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Oof okay yeah that does change my mind a bit actually. Didn't realise Spencer was so old tbh, part of me still kinda sees him as the young Wigglesworth deputy. Thought he was currently like 28-29. In that case I'd for sure to be considering Warr to start more.
So what? It's all about evolution....building a side to start working on this 6n..NZ Summer tour...and so on. Evolution...repalce players as they go...

The next world Cup will take care of itself.

So what? It's all about evolution....building a side to start working on this 6n..NZ Summer tour...and so on. Evolution...repalce players as they go...

The next world Cup will take care of itself.
I mean if we've got 2 good managerial 9s I'd rather pick the one who's 24 than the one who's (apparently) 31.

I mean if we've got 2 good managerial 9s I'd rather pick the one who's 24 than the one who's (apparently) 31.
Generally id agree 100% but it does depend on who's dominating games. And at the moment the elder is doing that and if he did it for a few years whilst bringing the younger off the bench and start a few games until hes elder is slowing down then we're OK...

Nah, that's mad, Warr's been so good the last 14 months - he's way ahead of Quirke in every aspect of the game barring ball in hand threat/speed, Raffi was fit for the second half of last season but only started 3 games

Considering the game plan SB has it's only Watson who's more suited to it - Roebuck is crazy good at retaining kicks
Agreed. I have no loyalty towards Sale (particularly considering I can't stand Sanderson) but @TRF_Olyy is right.

Quirke has more 'x factor' but Warr is the preferred starter on merit. I see Warr as an unflashy 9 who quickly and accurately whips the ball away from the breakdown, has a good kicking game and is a reliable, tenacious defender. What's not to like?

Roebuck looks very well suited to test rugby. As well as a good aerial game, he's big, quick and fast and I'd fancy him to do well if given an opportunity.

I'd be happy enough with both in the senior squad but as we're playing another country's full test side, the A game will capture players so at the very least they should be involved vs. Portugal.

At least the board will no longer be continuing with the dubious Ojomoh for England suggestions!

At least the board will no longer be continuing with the dubious Ojomoh for England suggestions!
Why? Was he poor?

Just a quick flit through the reports were Bath in all were poor...I've seen Jeez Stuart is &×%% etc etc...

So … 2024, here we are …

My hopes and fears for England are as follows:

Hopes

• The RWC has re-invigorated the squad a little and restored a bit more belief. Style was severely lacking, but 3rd place is still something to be fairly proud of. The positive start we've seen from English sides in Europe might also feed in to this.
  • The enforced changes result in a significant change in playing style. From what we've seen so far, Borthwick might not be inclined to play more expansive rugby, but as it is, his hand may be forced.
  • Smith gets a good run of games at 10 and is a bit more of a catalyst for attacking rugby.
  • Change brings opportunities for some who have been 'bit part' players up until now. Ben Curry and George Martin for example.
  • We're competitive in the 6N. I don't see any realistic chance of us winning it, but I'd like to see us run France and Ireland close and beat the rest (Scotland in particular). I don't think third is wildly optimistic. Second is unlikely but possible if Ireland and France struggle to adapt to life without Sexton and Dupont. Fourth is not unlikely, but we're talking about my hopes here!
  • Looking further ahead, the AIs look very tough. I'd love to give one of NZ or SA a bloody nose. Both is unlikely.
Fears

• The enforced changes mean we see disjointed performances that don't give us the right opportunity to improve our gameplan or find out about some of the newer/fringe players getting their chance.
  • Not much changes in the 6N pecking order - we beat Italy, scrape a win vs. Wales and lose to the others. 😐
  • We have a pretty good 6N but revert to Farrell at 10 for the AIs in a major retrograde step. 🤮
  • We look a million miles off of beating NZ or SA in the AIs.
  • We end 2024 in a worse place than where we started. No further forward and still playing turgid shite.
I'm sure there's plenty I've missed, but that's just top of mind … anyone else?

Hopes

• The RWC has re-invigorated the squad a little and restored a bit more belief. Style was severely lacking, but 3rd place is still something to be fairly proud of. The positive start we've seen from English sides in Europe might also feed in to this.
  • The enforced changes result in a significant change in playing style. From what we've seen so far, Borthwick might not be inclined to play more expansive rugby, but as it is, his hand may be forced.
These 2 are the big ones for me. The English prospects for the most part have been playing some quite good rugby. SB doesn't have an excuse any more for the dross we were producing. If we continue with dross it's because he is choosing it. Again dross =/= simple. We can have a simple, well executed gameplan and I'd be fine with that but having a completely directionless mess full of fundamental errors is just not excusable for any England coach.

I want to see us Smash Scotland and South Africa off the park....

All else is a bonus :p

These 2 are the big ones for me. The English prospects for the most part have been playing some quite good rugby. SB doesn't have an excuse any more for the dross we were producing. If we continue with dross it's because he is choosing it. Again dross =/= simple. We can have a simple, well executed gameplan and I'd be fine with that but having a completely directionless mess full of fundamental errors is just not excusable for any England coach.
Agree...we need an attack...and we need to get the kicking game well in check. Less stupid kicks...more quality well executed ones at the right time with the best kick chase...

I'm fully against a kicking/ set piece gameplan because we don't have the players. If bothers takes the current set of players and tries to make some 2007 gameplan fit them he's an idiot. I get what he did at tigers as it fits their DNA but we don't have that player base.

is Bothers out of date? Or will be adjust to the player base. The squad selection will dictate this but I'm guessing only enforced changes due to the quantity of them.

I'm fully against a kicking/ set piece gameplan because we don't have the players. If bothers takes the current set of players and tries to make some 2007 gameplan fit them he's an idiot. I get what he did at tigers as it fits their DNA but we don't have that player base.

is Bothers out of date? Or will be adjust to the player base. The squad selection will dictate this but I'm guessing only enforced changes due to the quantity of them.
ALL teams have some form of kickig and set piece game. Its just adapting it appropriately to the players you have.

If you dont have a strong kicking and set piece game at international level you will struggle.

ALL teams have some form of kickig and set piece game. Its just adapting it appropriately to the players you have.

If you dont have a strong kicking and set piece game at international level you will struggle.
The key part of any plan is to have it on your terms.
With the current England it seems to be so prepared that the opposition are ready for it, often not competing at the ruck to ensure the numbers of blockers.
Both the Boks and ABs kick when they see an advantage in doing so.

That's not what I said. Kicking is very important but a gameplan build on just kicking and then set pieces needs to have a set of players we don't have. If your only hope of scoring points comes from set pieces then you need strong set pieces.

There is also a massive difference between having a kicking gameplan and just kicking the ball to try and compete. That's not a gameplan, that means you've got no other plans and are just smashing a 50/50 in the air. It's got its place but it's got to be part of a tactic, not the entire tactic.

Look I know that every time someone questions bothers you run to his defence like his PA or something but it's only South Africa that use that style of gameplan and they have a monstrous set of forwards, we don't. It's fair to criticise his tactics so far as they have been poor. If we had a better attack, or any attack we would have been in a WC final.

Latest posts