• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Hattrick on his debut wasnt it...but heard there were some big defensive issues lead t 1 or two tires against him. But playing with Fickou etc his defence will defo improve.
Watching some highlights, there were some minor lapses in defence but they didn't look like major blunders, he was covering gaps in the defence and then they exploited the space he left so yes he messed up, but he was being pulled out of position to cover gaps that had appeared elsewhere.

He has some serious acceleration and top end speed though. Be interesting to see if he maintains it or if 2nd season syndrome will kick in.

Hattrick on his debut wasnt it...but heard there were some big defensive issues lead t 1 or two tires against him. But playing with Fickou etc his defence will defo improve.
I saw a clip of the first try and it was just running fast in a straightline - but he was in field, not hanging out on the wing, which is drastically different to what England had him do
Very promising - be interesting to see what England do with him/if that leads to him just staying in France instead of moving back next year
I still think he'll end up at Bath, but they might not be so keen after he ditched them at the last second for Racing

I watched all of his tries, yes minor defensive errors gap in the defensive line for the first and full back a few yards out of position for his second.However no other back in that WC squad is scoring two of his tries. They would not have the gas and or strength
His last try he bumped a smaller defender who is all fairness went low although technique was questionable.

To win anything you need x factor players, just having all functional backs leads to a turgid kicking game as the opposition can set knowing they won't get gassed or stepped. Pace and or someone who can jink or both causes errors in defensive shapes as players are having to second guess.

To win anything you need x factor players, just having all functional backs leads to a turgid kicking game as the opposition can set knowing they won't get gassed or stepped. Pace and or someone who can jink or both causes errors in defensive shapes as players are having to second guess.
I mean you also need the gameplan to use them as well, tbf - otherwise Arundell would have done....anything, vs Argentina

Honestly you can def see Lancaster looking at Arundell as a 13 judging by how he is using him.
Running a lot of 13 lines, even getting the ball at first receiver passing needs work. He runs a really good arching outside centre line though that explosive power through a gap is hard to recreate.

I'm kinda hoping Arundell or Freeman get decent game time at 13 (Prefer Freeman) just because I feel we need more backs that can cover multiple positions.
If one of those two can cover Wing, Full back and 13 it gives England a lot more options.

Don't see him bumping anyone in that,

My question over him at 13 is his dodgy hands, but tbf Manu's passing was pretty suspect up until he was about a decade into his senior career so it's not necessarily a necessity

My question over him at 13 is his dodgy hands, but tbf Manu's passing was pretty suspect up until he was about a decade into his senior career so it's not necessarily a necessity
Last try bud

May --> Freeman (this is the toughest pick, lots and lots of good wingers about - really really rate Freeman though)
Youngs --> Warr
Lawes --> Pearson
Willis --> Underhill
Marchant --> Instinctively went with Kelly, but not so sure, there's a number of good options in the Prem atm. Will Joseph? Maybe Ojomoh?
Ribbans --> Isiekwe
I'd love to see Pearson given a few games but I think he'll go for Martin. Not that I'd be unhappy with that either..

Yeh he doesn't bump IMO, tbf doesn't need too. If he can get on the outside even just a bit his pace can make it massively hard to tackle his tree trunk legs.

Handling def an issue but I guess if he can get used to running the lines at Racing then he should develop decent enough handling.
If he can play wing for a few more seasons, whilst getting game time at 13 I can see him by the next RWC being a very dangerous 13. Similar to how NZ eased Ioane into the position.

Let him focus on winger / full back for the moment...iron out any defensive issues, work on his handling etc...just develop an alround world class winger...

I feel England have more wingers who could be potential internationals than outside centres.
Arundell
OHC
Radwan
Murley
Lynagh
Freeman
Watson (Already is but should still be a potential for the next RWC if fit)
Reed
Roebuck
Loader

And even in the u20's the wingers looked more impressive than the centres (Hendy and Cleaves)

I know Loader and Freeman have both been getting game time at 13 the past couple weeks due injury.

Last try bud
Missed tackle rather than bump, I was expecting a Will Muir-esque involvement
I'd love to see Pearson given a few games but I think he'll go for Martin. Not that I'd be unhappy with that either..
These are who I'd want as replacements in the squad, not necessarily in the 23 - Martin's already in the EPS (as is Underhill, tbf, but only as injury replacement for Willis, which I'd make a permanent switch now)

Missed tackle rather than bump, I was expecting a Will Muir-esque involvement

These are who I'd want as replacements in the squad, not necessarily in the 23 - Martin's already in the EPS (as is Underhill, tbf, but only as injury replacement for Willis, which I'd make a permanent switch now)
I watched the game with french angles. Tackle wasn't as bad as the angle in the highlights show. The straight on angle shows it was the strength in the legs that drove through the tackle.

I feel England have more wingers who could be potential internationals than outside centres.
Arundell
OHC
Radwan
Murley
Lynagh
Freeman
Watson (Already is but should still be a potential for the next RWC if fit)
Reed
Roebuck
Loader

And even in the u20's the wingers looked more impressive than the centres (Hendy and Cleaves)

I know Loader and Freeman have both been getting game time at 13 the past couple weeks due injury.
I have no issue at all with some wingers moving to centres...theres been so many successful doing that...if they have the skill set. Freeman could very well be one.

I just think id keep Arundel on the wing for the moment. Hes just so explosive / powerful and pacy....let him focus on being a real word class winger.

Especially when some of that list above wont be challenging the squad ...Radwan clearly not rated, Lynagh not so much....Watson an ongoing injury issue...is he available is he not? etc etc

He can't run though and moves like a tanker as a normal bloke at 19 odd stone should.

What you gain in a couple of lineouts a game you loose ruck speed (which is England's Achilles).he can carry and tackle just the same playing at 5.

Let him develop as a TH lock and let one of the many flankers we have play 6

An old coach of mine always insisted that a six should be fittest player on the team with most stamina. Martin will never be anywhere near that due to his build

An old coach of mine always insisted that a six should be fittest player on the team with most stamina.
Your old coach had never heard of scrum halves then! (flankers should be next)

I think Martin should be a lock only now...big dominant tight head lock.

If he wants an exact Lawes replacement it would be Chessum...but im not sure he will. Kennigham could be an option if you want a jumping 6 to replace Lawes aswell.

I think the replacements will be:
May - Murley
Youngs - Warr
Lawes - Pearson
Jack Willis - Underhill
Marchant - Atkinson / Kelly / Ojomoh - probably one of SB's big headaches...which centres to try to bring through.
Ribbans - Isiekwe

Your old coach had never heard of scrum halves then! (flankers should be next)
He was watching Ben Young's 😂 and then JVP standing on the wrong side of the ruck

I think the point still stands though. Martin would have to spend a career building up his stamina and fitness to play 6. You are shoe horning someone into a role where we have players who fit it better both athletically and positionally. If it were pre 2015 where we struggled with flankers then maybe

To gain the odd interaction per game. Whilst loosing out on defensive cover , breakdown and ruck speed seems daft

Latest posts