• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

For me the main thing about England going forward is who is going to be incharge of Englands attack.

Do we fit the players to the gameplan or gamplan to the players. We have Mitchell Smith Arundell and others. We can build a strong attack.

For me the main thing about England going forward is who is going to be incharge of Englands attack.

Do we fit the players to the gameplan or gamplan to the players. We have Mitchell Smith Arundell and others. We can build a strong attack.

You have to fit the game plan to the available players. Anything else is madness.

By gameplan, do you mean kick the ball every single phase no matter where you are on the pitch?

As I saw very little gameplan and really don't expect much to change, hope I'm wrong though.

Personally i think SB will go horses for courses as suits the opposition we're playing.
Can any of those horses hoof the ball half way up the pitch? I know the big thing about horses is they run fast but surely we can train one to kick the ball better?

You have to fit the game plan to the available players. Anything else is madness.
I agree the problem is both Jones and now borthwick are attempting at playing the exact way South Africa did in 2019. This is where the obsession with locks at six stemmed from imo
The difference is we don't have the players to play a slow kick chase game dominated by the set piece. If you look at where our strengths seem to be player wise ,it would appear that playing at pace with quick ruck speed is where our gameplay should focus. It definitely is not at scrum time, the maul or our tight game

Curry out until Christmas with a hip problem. Feared it could be chronic and require management for the rest of his career.

Guess we'll know more in a month or so, but sounds slightly ominous.

Curry out until Christmas with a hip problem. Feared it could be chronic and require management for the rest of his career.

Well he's had his career now, ditch him and get his twin brother in instead! obv joking, hes part of most of the good form we have and would be a huge loss if this was more serious

Sanderson saying it's "not tragic or career ending", but clearly some concern and talking about having to calm down Curry as human nature is to think the worst.

Even hearing talk like that makes me wonder, but we'll have to see. Hopefully it can all be managed without any drop off in performance or detriment to longer term health.

Well Felix Jones is on board now...an Irish man and hugely rated...so we'll see where he sits in the coaching team. i thought he was coming in as an attacking coach but i think he covers everything.

Giving Curry a year away from International rugby sounds the best
We have options
Underhill
Pearson
Ludlam
Evans
Kenningham

I said on another thread that despite being fairly young he has a much higher effective playing age. Players only have so many years in the tank and if you start early as Curry did the odds are he'll finish earlier too. Conversely with Pearson who started top flight rugby much later.

If he was advised to take a year out of all rugby to extend his career, that's one thing but I doubt he'd voluntarily just step away from England. Natural competitive instinct of the sportsman and, as you say, there are plenty of good options who would all sell their grannies to get his shirt. Time moves on very quickly and the graveyards are full of indispensable men. As news story of the week Just Call Me Dave once said to Blair "You were the future once".

Getting the expected response from a certain set of fans around the media...

Getting the expected response from a certain set of fans around the media...
I was trying to work out what you meant - then I remembered the semi-final, and I assume that's what you're referencing.
Which makes me sad.

Daily Mail saying Sinfield out and that if McKeller leaves Tigers for Aus Wigglesworth could be tempted to join Leicester as head coach

"It had been widely assumed that Jones would replace Kevin Sinfield as defence guru, but his attack credentials are understood to have left Wigglesworth unsure of whether the scope of his job could be altered.

One source claimed that the ex-Sale, Saracens and Leicester scrum-half had argued that anyone would struggle to set up an effective attack within the parameters of Borthwick's rigid system."

Big worry about that last bit because it is a worry of mine.
Whatever attack coach we bring in will have to work around Borthwick's system and that does seem extremely rigid.

Case in point looking at Tigers with Borthwick head coach v how they played with Wigglesworth as head coach last season.

Latest posts