• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Redpath or Ojomoh, both of whom are better than Lawrence at IC.

Now that Francis has left, he'd probably be 3rd choice at IC - but even then, it's probably better to leave him at 13 and have someone else IC (Butt and Wright are both perfectly at home in either centre berth, Bailey and Harris are also options there), than to not have Lawrence exploiting that bit of extra time and space.

Again, it's like asking "so who do you play at wing, if you have Watson at FB?"
I waa thinking more for England QC...

Hopefully not Manu. Im a big fan of Seb Atkinson...but maybe we go for the club combo Ojomoh and Lawrence.

9 Mitchell
10 Ford / Farrell / Smith
12 Ojomoh
13 Lawrence

Lawrence can't play 13 for England until he starts playing there for his club.

#spreadtherumour

I think we need 4 strong centres in the England team, I'd happily take Seb and Max as our two 12s and just work on them over the next few years but we could also do with a back up 13 as well.

My worry for both of those is that Max isn't first choice at Bath and he looks a little off the pace when I've seen him (that might be unfair) and Seb plays for Gloucester, so won't get anywhere with England.

So who do you play with him at 12?

Kind of depends if they'll ever see the ball. If they're just going to chase high kicks then we might as well convert Steward (I think I'm joking). No point in having creative players if they don't get the chance to show those skills.

Bit of a puff piece on Fin Smith in today's Times. He's progressing nicely although did say that Borthwick's challenged him to control more matches with his kicking.

Kind of depends if they'll ever see the ball. If they're just going to chase high kicks then we might as well convert Steward (I think I'm joking). No point in having creative players if they don't get the chance to show those skills.

Bit of a puff piece on Fin Smith in today's Times. He's progressing nicely although did say that Borthwick's challenged him to control more matches with his kicking.
That's really depressing, control more matches with his kicking, ugh. Statements like that make me think Borthwick is actually a poor coach as he's so short sited on his specific vision even if it's wrong.

That's really depressing, control more matches with his kicking, ugh. Statements like that make me think Borthwick is actually a poor coach as he's so short sited on his specific vision even if it's wrong.
Most international 10s have to be able to do that...and then have the ability to open it up. Nothing surprising here really.

Thing with Finn Smith is he's a very good alround 10 anyway with Worcester he controlled the game well with kicking

Don't get me wrong you don't win test matches playing like Quins or Saints but you need to be able to turn it on
Thats my thoughts. i dont mind a kicking gameplan at all, as long as the point of it is to keep them back then use field position or a mistake to attack...and actually have an attack, imagine us playing SA in that SF, when we got the ball in a good position we still kicked it because our attack couldnt step up.

Ben Earl out with a "nasty knee injury" apparently.

With Curry out also you'd assume Underhill in pole for the 7 shirt...

Opens the door for Pearson Tom Willis to come in.

Bit worried that Pearson might be injured too, he was subbed early yesterday, for a teenager making his debut (so not likely a preplanned sub), and didn't really do anything before the sub

Dropping like flies....

So for Italy it's
4 Itoje
5 Martin
6 Chessum
7 Underhill
8 Tom Willis

Nut sure about Ludlum SB doesn't seem to see him as a starter.

And Martin is more of a lock than Chessum.

Hopefully it's not so serious for Curry or Earl...

Nut sure about Ludlum SB doesn't seem to see him as a starter.

And Martin is more of a lock than Chessum.

Hopefully it's not so serious for Curry or Earl...

The same Ludlam who has started half of SB games?
He might not be viewed as a starter but if Earl and Curry are out I would be amazed if he isn't starting

V Italy How would people feel about

9 Mitchell
10 Farrell or Ford
12 Seb Atkinson
13 Lawrence

V Italy How would people feel about

9 Mitchell
10 Farrell or Ford
12 Seb Atkinson
13 Lawrence
Not enough lineout jumpers for my liking.

I agree, wonder which one of Max O or Seb will get their chance with England first. Would rather have smith at 10 though and some pace on the wing but think in reality we need some kind of settled time to bring people in to.

I'd go

1 Genge
2 Theo
3 Cole
4 Itoje
5 Chessum
6 Ludlum
7 Underhill
8 Willis
9 Mitchell
10 Ford (guessing it will be rubbish Farrell)
11 Freeman
12 Max O (club combo)
13 Lawrence
14 Murley
15 steward (to keep continuity but needs phasing out)

16 George
17 really not sure, would have gone VRR but he's been out
18 painter/ collier any solid lump
19 Martin
20 Pearson
21 care
22 M Smith (Farrell can do one)
23 Daly

Quite a few positions up for grabs I think. The big thing is what he'll do with the front row and back line and most importantly tactics.

SB had months with them before the WC and came up with a shocking gameplan. Let's see how bad it can be after getting a load of new squad members in and only having a few weeks 😂

Latest posts