• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

I'm still sceptical on Mitchell but I imagine he'll be first choice going into the 6N - didn't really cover himself in glory vs Tigers, not seen a 9 charged down so many times in ages, and we all know SB loves a kick

When's JvP due back? Also not fully sold on him, but he'll likely step straight into Youngs' void

Will be interesting to see if SB keeps Care around for another season as the experienced pick.
I don't think we really need an experienced option tbh - especially if Wigglesworth stays on as coach - would rather we bring new blood in to get them camp (and hopefully game) experience

I'm still sceptical on Mitchell but I imagine he'll be first choice going into the 6N - didn't really cover himself in glory vs Tigers, not seen a 9 charged down so many times in ages, and we all know SB loves a kick

When's JvP due back? Also not fully sold on him, but he'll likely step straight into Youngs' void

Will be interesting to see if SB keeps Care around for another season as the experienced pick.
I don't think we really need an experienced option tbh - especially if Wigglesworth stays on as coach - would rather we bring new blood in to get them camp (and hopefully game) experience
Ah I disagree, 9 and 10 i would always be tempted to have an 'experienced' option. Obviously not needed if you have an established shirtholder with a wealth of intl experience already, but we don't unfortunately.

Ah I disagree, 9 and 10 i would always be tempted to have an 'experienced' option. Obviously not needed if you have an established shirtholder with a wealth of intl experience already, but we don't unfortunately.
My thing is I don't see Care being in the 23 if everyone's fit (I'd guess at Mitchell/JvP in whatever order) - if it's just for an experience-in-training situation then surely Wigglesworth is enough of a fountain of knowledge for them to learn from?

For me the issue is if Care isn't available the drop off in terms of experience is huge. Same with George at hooker unless LCD is fit. We know Care can do the job if needed, so let others get some experience.

If we want an older, experienced scrum half in good form, would it be such a wild shot to bring Spencer into the fold? I also feel I have to eat my words regarding Russell at Bath, he has added quite a lot and I've been told that the attitude in the team has changed as well, largely driven by him. Russell seems to have brought out the best in Spencer again.

Im actually gutted about that one...hes exactly the player we've been looking for in the back row. Explosive...huge engine, strong defence and electric attack.

I guess it opens the door for someone else but Earl will be a big miss.

Im actually gutted about that one...hes exactly the player we've been looking for in the back row. Explosive...huge engine, strong defence and electric attack.

I guess it opens the door for someone else but Earl will be a big miss.

He will.

His real point of difference is his pace and ball carrying. We have loads who can do the dirty stuff and be competitive at the breakdown etc but far fewer who carry that level of athleticism and attacking threat. Mercer would be the obvious replacement but he's currently injured too. I like T Willis a lot, but he's a different kind of a player and we have to accept that. Dombrandt and Barbeary are both further back in the queue and I don't want a part time 8 like Curry or Ludlam (although the irony is that's exactly what Earl was).

(although the irony is that's exactly what Earl was).
Worth noting, that even with that, Earl has started more than double the number of games at 8 than Ludlam, who in turn has near-enough double the number of starts at 8 than Curry.
Yes, Earl's a part-timer at 8, but he's a part-timer with a whole season's worth of starts there - more when you include "from the bench".

Sad news Re Curry, although Sanderson is saying not that sounds very serious to me.When fit Curry is a class act when paired with another flanker

On the good news front Earl should be fit for 6N, it's a 6-8 week rehab as opposed to 3 months. Underhill, Earl and Willis would be very tasty. Better still would be Mercer at 8 if fit with Earl and Underhill on the flanks

There's still another Curry who's a quality player....

Really pleased to hear Earl should be fit...of he can remain in the WC form rhem he is becoming one of our most important players.

Underhill and Earl gives us one hell of a pairing to start with...it means you can possibly put in a more novice player...Pearson? He looks one hell of a player 'potentially '

6 Pearson
7 Underhill
8 Earl

Now that has 2 very good carriers, 3 huge engines, physicality and very strong defence....

And gives us a chance to see if Pearson can make the step up...

Tom Curry confirmed out for the whole season, needs an operation on his hip to clear out all the....whatever is going on in there

View attachment 18475

That's worse than originally implied.

Turning into his annus horribilis.

Hamstring injuries to both legs one of which caused him to miss the 6N. Losing Prem final. Ankle problem over the summer, didn't play any warm ups. The red. The whole Mbonambi thing. Now this.

Not getting great vibes but hope I'm very wrong.

We don't know exactly what caused this problem, or Earl's, but as far as I know neither was the result of a single obvious incident. We know the Eng players were flogged in the run up to the RWC - just hope there's no link there.

Nature of pro sport means someone else gets a chance. Underhill, Earl and Mercer / Willis does have a ring to it.

What are people's thoughts on Joe Batley? I admittedly don't watch a huge amount of Bristol so I don't have a great idea of what he's like as a player but I've been impressed by him on a number of occasions. Very dynamic and a great ball carrier for a lock. 6'7, ~125kg. Could he work his way into the conversation for a squad place?

Has he got some big flaws I'm unaware of?

We'll be down to Baxter and Brantingham at LH soon...

I didn't know Lozowski had done his ACL either...

Latest posts