• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Reds - Crusaders in Brisbane (29-05-2011)

You forget that not all New Zealanders support the Crusaders...

The ref was atrocious - whether the Crusaders didn't help themselves (as they didn't adjust to bad calls) or not is another story, it still remains that the ref was useless.

There were calls (or lack of) that went the Crusaders' way ( I recall one blatant forward pass from a line out), but a vast majority of bad calls were in favour of the Reds.

I agree!
Horrible display by Dickinson, forward pass missed, but also the scrum that led to Crusaders' last penalty to me there were nothing against the Reds and Daley: Daley was doing well against Ben Franks who's not a monster of scrums, AND always there was a Crusaders' flanker who was pushing against the Reds' prop.
NZ did that against SA in last 3N, right when Franks was there, and now they did it again (oops :D ), rule doesn't allow that, and this must be cleared by IRB before the RWC.

But I agree, the most decisive bad calls by Dickinson went for the Reds.

anyway...

GO THE REDS!!!

I used to give the kiss of death anytime I bet on the team I support, but this time I didn't: I said to anyone Crusaders by 10, but I was hoping (of course) for a Reds win!
:D :D

Now you can kill me :D

It seemed the Crusaders didn't know what to do with the ball... they made good pick and go, but they did it too late and Reds defence was very accurate.
SBW was pretty anonymous in attack, and very lazy in defence: he didn't tackle and he created some space for Reds's backline... not a good performance from him.

Today won the right team, the one that has been able to mix a good attacking flows, but also a solid defence.
Reds only lacked kicking game today, but for any kick they did, an amazing well organized defensive line ran upfield without giving space to Crusaders backs.

Crusaders just didn't have space to work.

Last edited:
I swear the next time Quade Cooper kicks a pointless up and under I'll throw him on the ground.

Reds will be hard to beat at home, i'm picking/hoping for a victory to the Crusaders ... maybe by 2 points

... My prediction wasn't looking too bad up until the last minute ... well done Reds

Apparently Suncorp is at capacity that they allow for games that aren't internationals about 50,000 tickets sold. Can't wait.

Looked like an awesome game to be at in terms of crowd atmosphere, and it being such a closely fought tussle between both teams- did you go?

well I knew the kiwis would ***** and moan a lot about losing this one, but i didn't think it would be this bad.

We all know how much it sucks to lose in the last minute from a penalty goal, and I agree it was at first a strange call by the ref but upon closer inspection it falls into the rules and was illegal. Nearly all of you kiwis are whinging about the calls the ref made - he made just as many bad calls and missed calls from the reds point of view as well.

It's as simple as this, Stu Dickenson told Richie numerous times all through the first and second half that he had to watch himself around the ruck. Whether these were the correct calls or not by the ref it doesnt matter, being a preofessional rugby player, they have to realise where the ref is being strick and play by his rules for those 80 minutes - Richie didn't play it safe and lost you the game.

It was a 4/11 penalty count. I don't see how it was as unbenificial for the Reds as it was for the Crusaders.

Dickinson should not be reffing this level of footy, he can't do it. Especially in a game like this where it could potentially cost a team a play off spot.

The Reds probably deserved to win regardless, and that's fine. But it shouldn't come about because of the ref. If Caplain or someone of the like had been officiating it could have been the game of the season judging by the performances.

P.S. I'm a Canes supporter.

Dickinson should not be reffing this level of footy, he can't do it. Especially in a game like this where it could potentially cost a team a play off spot.
A brilliant game spoiled by a totally incompetent referee.

Dickinson really is showing now that he is past it, but not before he has cost the Crusaders any chance of a home playoff spot. A dozen missed forward passes knock-ons, phantom penalty decisions, and a complete lack of any affinity for the game of rugby.

Thank heaven this fool has been passed over for World Cup duty.

Don't wait till the end of the season Stu; retire now and save yourself from further embarrassment.

Crusaders were totally robbed by Dickinson

I sat down to watch this game 100% confident that the Saders would win and as soon as I saw Dickinson was the ref I changed my mind and realised the team that won wasn't likely to be the best team.

Not just that massive forward pass in the opening try. But his work at the breakdown, lineouts and scrums was amature at best. And I wont even get started on the knock on's he missed, a couple of huge howling knock on's leading up to the reds final drive that won the game. Bad calls went both ways but more went against the crusaders for me to safely say that Dickinson had a major impact on the outcome of the game.

It's a massive shame, because if Kaplin, Lawrence or Walsh had been the ref we would have been treated to what I think would have been the game of the season. But in it's place we are reminded of the single biggest problem Rugby faces today - the impact of the ref on the game and the lack of quality consistant refs at the top level. And while we should be talking about how good Carter and Cooper were. Everyone will be talking about how crap the ref was because IMO he had a bigger impact on the game than either of those stars.

Thank God he's not at the world cup, the IRB know he's crap. It's about time SANZAR got the memo.

A brilliant game spoiled by a totally incompetent referee.

Dickinson really is showing now that he is past it, but not before he has cost the Crusaders any chance of a home playoff spot. A dozen missed forward passes knock-ons, phantom penalty decisions, and a complete lack of any affinity for the game of rugby.

Thank heaven this fool has been passed over for World Cup duty.

Don't wait till the end of the season Stu; retire now and save yourself from further embarrassment.

I sadly only got to watch the first 20 mins before heading to work and got to admit he was dire, from what I read he got even worse.

Err, no. Its a common misconception, but not right.

Once a ruck is formed, it remains a ruck, even if players are no longer bound over the ball.

[TEXTAREA]
LAW 16.6 SUCCESSFUL END TO A RUCK

A ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves the ruck, or when the ball is on or over the goal line.

LAW 16.7 UNSUCCESSFUL END TO A RUCK

(a) A ruck ends unsuccessfully when the ball becomes unplayable and a scrum is ordered. The team that was moving forward immediately before the ball became unplayable in the ruck throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, or if the referee cannot decide which team was moving forward before the ball became unplayable in the ruck, the team that was moving forward before the ruck began throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, then the attacking team throws in the ball.

(b) Before the referee blows the whistle for a scrum, the referee allows a reasonable amount of time for the ball to emerge, especially if either team is moving forward. If the ruck stops moving, or if the referee decides that the ball will probably not emerge within a reasonable time, the referee must order a scrum.
[/TEXTAREA]

I don't understand to what this is referred to, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c47OilYALzs#t=3m20s

1) Was that ruck over?
2) Did McCaw went through the gate?

To the first question, I really cannot answer, someone here could make this clear?

To the second the answer is clearly NO. He's not through the gate, you can see it.
But once the ruck is over, you just need to arrive from the back of the ruck and pick up the ball, no more ruck, I suppose no more gate.

Anyway, some nz ref spoiled Hurricanes - Reds match not calling a enormous forward pass in 'canes 3rd try and giving a doubtful penalty against the Reds at min. 80, with Cruden killing them.

Fair enough
:D

:p

Last edited:
Just watched the game, holy crap that ref crew blew. His touchies had to have seen some of the forward passes/knock ons. Marred what should have been marque game, damn you Steve Walsh for getting injured.

Way to go Reds, like I said before you cant take this team lightly, not that I think the 'Saders did at all. Samo, Ioane, Higgenbottom, Cooper played well. Their defence was strong too.

It was there for the Crusaders to win but no. I thought that there was a try for them in the last 10 mins and I think the Reds might have felt it too, so the Reds gave them a penalty right in front tempting McCaw to take the shot at goal and guess what??....McCaw took the bait IMO, which only gave the Saders a 1 point lead and gave the Reds less than 8 mins to get a try, drop goal or penalty.

No doubt the reff missed a few things but reffs always do that. Thats one of the things a team can not control, is the reff obviously. You just go to carry on and the Saders did but Carters re-start kick was just a gift to Genia to kick it out.

Two famous come-from-behind Queensland victories on the same park within five days of each other.

To cap it off I bet on a Crusaders lead at halftime/Reds win paying $5.50. BOOM

... My prediction wasn't looking too bad up until the last minute ... well done Reds

Looked like an awesome game to be at in terms of crowd atmosphere, and it being such a closely fought tussle between both teams- did you go?
I have been to every Reds game this season :)
Every game last season
Every game the year before
Most of the games the season before that
About 4 the year before that :p

I've always been a Blues supporter which anybody in NZ would know means you dislike the Saders...They were seriously hard done by though. Dominant at scrum time, donimnant at lineout time... Lets just say completely dominated the set piece...Carter dominated the terrirtory kicking as well as the goal kicking. Cooper apart from the last kick and some clever kick return work showed his flakiness. One try from the reds should have been rubbed out due to the gridiron pass that lead up to it...the other was pretty lucky.The Saders just showed a little inaccuracy finishing. Other than that all things pointed to Crusaders win... Dickinson is such a muppet. Where were the touchies? horrible officiating all round spoiled what promised to be the most mouth watering game of the year, and at the end of the day the team that was dominating didn't get the fair result... I'll once again state that I don't like the Crusaders, but a neutral opinion.

Every game last season

You must be racking up the flyer miles.

Two famous come-from-behind Queensland victories on the same park within five days of each other.

To cap it off I bet on a Crusaders lead at halftime/Reds win paying $5.50. BOOM

By the looks of it you weren't the only one. I'm sure Dickinson also put some cash on the reds. :)

Every game last season

I am starting to think you are involved with the Reds somewhere down the line :p

Every game last season

I think maybe you should stop being such a band wagon supporter, and maybe put a bit more effort in to supporting your team :D

Latest posts