• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: THE GRAND FINAL! Reds v. Crusaders @ Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (09-07-2011)

I dont read too much into the result because of the travel factor. The crusaders errors and drop in performance in the last 20-25 min were very characteristic of a team that has put in too much travel. The reds on the other hand looked very fresh as they should after being at home for over three weeks and even having a weekend off.

The worst part is that if the crusaders had been 4th on the table instead of 3rd they would have played the reds the week prior in place of the blues. Without that trip to South Africa and back I think they would have beaten the Reds.

If you think that was good officiating, god help us.

Honestly compared to the cup final that Barnes did yes I think it was "pretty good" which is not quite "good" on the grand scale of things, but ok. As I said the one major issue I saw was that the touchies who called the lineouts not straight were not consistant for the two teams in a couple of instances. One being I think a critical call (or no call) in the game. Flynn's throwing was shocking and they weren't straight but the reds got away with a critical throw that wasn't straight in the 2nd half.

The ref let the players dictate things and only stopped play when needed and played long advantages. In that final I watched barnes dictated the whole game. Infact the 30min highlights of the game I saw at one stage was almost entirely Barnes blowing his whistle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I think this match should have gone to Craig Joubert. He is the best referee in the world at the moment and he is from neither Australia or New Zealand.

Leroy Houston has been released from his contract with the Reds :\

If you think that was good officiating, god help us.

First, let me say that the Reds thoroughly deserved the win; and they DID win it (it wasn't a case of the Crusaders losing it). It was a match too far for the Crusaders, and even though their players and staff won't make excuses, playing in three different time zones around the world on three consecutive weekends had to take its toll, especially as the opposition had a week off at home to lay in wait.

I don't have any real concerns about specific refereeing decisions in the match either, except that there might have been some obstruction in the lead up to Genia's try (but very marginal). However, I was singularly unimpressed with Bryce Lawrence, and thought he had another poor game. While his performance did not affect who won the match, he followed on from his below average performance in the Crusaders v Sharks qualifier in Nelson a couple of weeks back, continuing to miss knock-ons, forward passes, side entries at tackles and offside play by the pillars at ruck & maul; stuff that referees like Craig Joubert and Mark Lawrence don't miss. For example, see the position of Quade Cooper in the lead up to Brad Thorn's non try.

Of particular concern to me is that he seems incapable of keeping players onside in the backlines, and this leads to a stifling of back-play as the team with the ball has its time cut severely, resulting in them having little option but to kick. Whether its because he is too focused on other things, or just doesn't see the offside players because of poor positioning and/or peripheral vision is hard to say, but one thing is for sure; if I were coach of a team whose primary defensive tactic was the "rush" defence, I would want Bryce refereeing my lads every weekend.

All I can say is, thank heavens IRB regulations preclude him refereeing us during the Tri-Nations and the RWC. If were a supporter of England, Australia, South Africa etc, I would be afraid....very afraid!!!

He missed a helluva offsides, from both teams!
You spotted right on Cooper's one!! He was behind the last foot... of Crusaders side!!!

Scrummaging have been referred poorly, sometimes he conceded turnover when, to me, looked like a forced wheeling by 'Saders!
Also look at Rod Davies tackle without the ball of Freuan, the phase before Thorn non-try!! Ok maybe SBW wouldn't be able to offload anyway...

And the breakdown: Lawrence allowed everything (and this suited best Crusaders style!), a lot of confusion around the rucks... anything could happen there!

I dont read too much into the result because of the travel factor. The crusaders errors and drop in performance in the last 20-25 min were very characteristic of a team that has put in too much travel. The reds on the other hand looked very fresh as they should after being at home for over three weeks and even having a weekend off.

The worst part is that if the crusaders had been 4th on the table instead of 3rd they would have played the reds the week prior in place of the blues. Without that trip to South Africa and back I think they would have beaten the Reds.

Honestly compared to the cup final that Barnes did yes I think it was "pretty good" which is not quite "good" on the grand scale of things, but ok. As I said the one major issue I saw was that the touchies who called the lineouts not straight were not consistant for the two teams in a couple of instances. One being I think a critical call (or no call) in the game. Flynn's throwing was shocking and they weren't straight but the reds got away with a critical throw that wasn't straight in the 2nd half.

The ref let the players dictate things and only stopped play when needed and played long advantages. In that final I watched barnes dictated the whole game. Infact the 30min highlights of the game I saw at one stage was almost entirely Barnes blowing his whistle.

Urm ... what has Barnes got to do with this argument? Pretty weak in doing so.

Face the facts, Bryce was dire as was his assistants. It seemed one rule for one team and another rule for the other. The game for me was spoiled by Bryce and at times he took away the spectacle of the final by missing calls and allowing the rucks to become a free for all.

Reds won the game as they were the better side.

If you think refs are bad in the southern hemisphere look at ours Rolland is probably the best and we can't get him. Would gladly kill Poite and am not a fan of Pearson.

They're bringing the wrong Lawrence to the World Cup, I'm near sure that's the explanation.

look at ours Rolland is probably the best

I'd raise you Wayne Barnes without hesitation.

Ireland do get Craig Joubert for two pool games....aaaaagainst the US and Russia. <_<

Latest posts