• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: THE GRAND FINAL! Reds v. Crusaders @ Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (09-07-2011)

Well done Reds, a few crucial mistakes by the Crusaders ... Cory Flynn may have played himself out of an All Black recall with his not straight throwing, and Brad Thorn's decision to go himself with all those players in an overlap situation

It was a good game but I expected better quality. Reds were deserved winners.

Great game by the Reds, well done to the Crusaders as well.

Good job Reds, nice to have a new champion. The Crusaders played their best rugby last week I'm afraid. Flynn was abysmal (Elliot for AB's?), Richie looked out of form, Thorn gave away a stupid penalty and his white line fever cost the saders a try. Guildford also had an ordinary game while Carter, Williams and Freuan tried their hardest in the backs.

On the positive side for NZ though we saw why Carter is miles ahead of Cooper, Coopers kicking was aimless at times and the greater urgency on defence gave him little room, which he couldn't cope with. Genia also had a shocker bar the try, which was a little unusual but still brilliant. Credit where it's due though the Reds showed that to focus on just Cooper and Genia all the time as their key players is unfair when they have some outstanding players outside them, and in the forwards.

Well done Reds, am I worried about the world cup though? Not really, a dry Brisbane field is a whole different story to a soggy Eden Park. I also don't think you can get away with your scrum being torn to pieces on a wet field :p.

Enjoy the win anyway Reds fans. I think in future I might just stay neutral for these types of finals, it feels weird being disappointed in a Crusaders win :D.

Genia also had a shocker bar the try, which was a little unusual but still brilliant.

He suffered a lot from a pack that was often bested. He wasn't at his imperial best, but if you were to have switched the halfbacks, you could arguably have switched the scoreline.

Great game, innitaly I wasn't that bothered who won because I've cheered for these two teams all year, but the moment Genia made the break I was screaming at the TV and woke my neigbour up when the Reds won. I do wonder how big an impact this shall have on the World Cup and/or Tri-Nations- Carter, despite scoring that brilliant try, didn't seem to have the hang of finals Rugby, where as the Reds did, after they got past the inital breakdown mishaps.

Scott Higginbotham was superb today - Had a great season, got to be in the Wallabies lineup for 3N/WC, much better form than Elsom has been in for a while

I do wonder how big an impact this shall have on the World Cup and/or Tri-Nations- Carter, despite scoring that brilliant try, didn't seem to have the hang of finals Rugby, where as the Reds did, after they got past the inital breakdown mishaps.

I don't think it means a huge amount to be honest. Carter himself wasn't too bad I didn't think, and the issues that the Reds had at the breakdown/scrum would have led to much more difficulty in a potentially wet or dewy NZ field than they did on a dry one. Also the AB's have a decent hooker :p.

Scott Higginbotham was superb today - Had a great season, got to be in the Wallabies lineup for 3N/WC, much better form than Elsom has been in for a while

This is also helped by Elsom being injured.

The last time Elsom emulated Higginbotham's current form, he was playing club rugby in the Northern Hemisphere. He had a season relatively free of injury on return to Australia.

Who will play 8 for Australia?

I'm not trying to take away anything from Higginbotham he has superb. Also is that meant to be a subtle dig at the Northern Hemisphere?

I'm not trying to take away anything from Higginbotham he has superb. Also is that meant to be a subtle dig at the Northern Hemisphere?

No, it's a point of reference. I live in Dublin and I own a Leinster season ticket.

It echoes the thoughts expressed by Australian fans over the past few seasons on the lukewarm performances of their captain and, to some, once-icon.

Congrats to the Reds... They are the deserved winner of the ***le. 1st overall, beating the Crusaders (twice), Blues, Bulls, Stormers and Waratahs during the season and scoring some brilliant tries.

They played the most entertaining rugby as well with eye-catchers Quade, Genia, Digby and strong forwards to form a Radikilous pack with Horwill, Daley, Faingaa, Higginbothom

Latest posts