• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: THE GRAND FINAL! Reds v. Crusaders @ Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (09-07-2011)

Heck of a match by the Reds. I thought they were going to blow it toward the end there when Genia decided to put in yet another box kick right when they had the Crusaders under pressure (Robbie has to coach that out of him... ) and Carter hammered the ball deep back into Qld's half. But luckily Qld's defence held up and they managed to hold on.
Unbelievable win for Qld and all Aussie supporters who've spent so long in the Super Rugby wilderness. Suncorp is definitely the best place in Australasia for a Super Rugby final too, the atmosphere there was utterly electric. Unbelievable for a state that is so League-focussed.

Congratulations to the Reds and their fans here on TRF. Thoroughly deserved, awesome game.

All I'm going to say is Zac Guildford confirmed why he is an average winger. Never hit the line with any pace, didn't throw a single good pass, got fended by a lock and beated to the try line from 40-50m out and missed crucial tackles.

Fiji, but he's been capped by Australia

I'd love to see him in the Aus squad again, but I think the fact he's older than a lot of the teams Grandparents will count against him :p

Back to the game. Missed out on it but I read the summary on super15. The best team won. Congrats Reds. I hope the Ozzies can keep up this level during the Tri Nations and RWC.

Played Reds and deserved.

But wow Bryce Lawrence was dire.

Bryce was dire in the Crusaders-Sharks match as well... That guy should have not been given the final. I preferred Craig Joubert or Chris Pollock

Terrible Reffing, terrible game, amazing outcome :p The last 20 minutes almost had me falling out of my seat D:, Cory Flynn may have had money on the Reds to win? because damn he had a woeful game.
Love that the Crusaders midfield was shutdown so well by Tapuai and Faingaa and that Will and Quade were shut down equally as well, was a hard fought match. Congratulations to the Crusaders for making it this far in such a difficult year for them, I was shocked that people booed Richie when he was giving his speech I assure you they are the Reds bandwagoners, you don't boo the other teams captain when he's giving his speech.

Did anyone see Digby do the dougie (dance move, for those who dont know) after his try. That guy is just awesome, I wish he played for Samoa.

Did anyone see Digby do the dougie (dance move, for those who dont know) after his try. That guy is just awesome, I wish he played for Samoa.
I saw it, I was down on the field at that stage :) Albert Anae was like "You gotta do the full set Dig, you promised."

I saw it, I was down on the field at that stage :) Albert Anae was like "You gotta do the full set Dig, you promised."

Haha he probably would've had his team not embraced him. He's the peoples champ, a crowd favourite especially at home. Even if you dont like Digby, his try scoring celebrations will get your attention.

Theres some tutorial videos on youtube on how to dougie. I might check it out lol...

Haha he probably would've had his team not embraced him. He's the peoples champ, a crowd favourite especially at home. Even if you dont like Digby, his try scoring celebrations will get your attention.

Theres some tutorial videos on youtube on how to dougie. I might check it out lol...
Def a crowd pleaser and a big shame hes a wallaby and not with the Manu Samoa. As happy as I am with our current wingers (Alesana, Sailosi and Lemi), What a tandem David Smith and Digby Ioane could've made for us if they were available.

Can't believe we lost!

Too many mistakes by the Crusaders.

Congrats to the Reds though.

yeah bit of a shock, crusaders just didn't look themselves. Pretty obvious playing in NZ then SA then AUS in 3 weekends on the trot took it's tole. last 25min in particular Crusaders just looked out of it but the dropped ball and mistakes, crusaders done so well dispite all the travel but this was one week and one strong opposition too many. Both the Reds trys though very impressive I wouldn't expect a fresh crusaders side to let those in. The main difference between the two was really the fact the reds have been at home the last 3 weeks and only had two games where the saders have gone from home to SA then to AUS.

The Refing was pretty good but I have to say Stewart dickenson showed his colors again. 3+ crusaders lineouts called not straight and letting two very similar reds throws go in the 2nd half one would have been a fantastic position for the Crusaders. And I'm pretty sure dick was the one calling them.

Well done to the reds, been a great year. Backs are scary good.

Crusaders won't be happy with themselves. lineout was a shocker, Cory flynns throwing seemed to be a big problem not just the crook ones but many others missed their target. In such close games no team can expect to give away ball at 6 or more lineouts like the crusaders did and still win. McCaw looked very rusty and slow. Some basic mistakes - obviously still has a lot of work to do recovering from that injury.

Elis showed good vision with his kicks and really got involved but his clearance was woefully slow! Does anyone else see it? He pulls the ball out and stands with it then looks around and passes in that extra second he wastes the opposition defense advances and getting the ball past 2nd 5 becomes impossible! kahn fotuali'i comes on and passes straight out of the scrum/ruck without wasting time and all of a sudden the backline has some room to move. It's a fundamental issue with Elis's game and it scares the crap out of me that he's been selected for the AB's today. All Blacks backlines have struggled with slow ball from Elis in the past and will do so again when he gets his shot.

yeah bit of a shock, crusaders just didn't look themselves. Pretty obvious playing in NZ then SA then AUS in 3 weekends on the trot took it's tole. last 25min in particular Crusaders just looked out of it but the dropped ball and mistakes, crusaders done so well dispite all the travel but this was one week and one strong opposition too many. Both the Reds trys though very impressive I wouldn't expect a fresh crusaders side to let those in. The main difference between the two was really the fact the reds have been at home the last 3 weeks and only had two games where the saders have gone from home to SA then to AUS.

The Refing was pretty good but I have to say Stewart dickenson showed his colors again. 3+ crusaders lineouts called not straight and letting two very similar reds throws go in the 2nd half one would have been a fantastic position for the Crusaders. And I'm pretty sure dick was the one calling them.

Well done to the reds, been a great year. Backs are scary good.

Crusaders won't be happy with themselves. lineout was a shocker, Cory flynns throwing seemed to be a big problem not just the crook ones but many others missed their target. In such close games no team can expect to give away ball at 6 or more lineouts like the crusaders did and still win. McCaw looked very rusty and slow. Some basic mistakes - obviously still has a lot of work to do recovering from that injury.

Elis showed good vision with his kicks and really got involved but his clearance was woefully slow! Does anyone else see it? He pulls the ball out and stands with it then looks around and passes in that extra second he wastes the opposition defense advances and getting the ball past 2nd 5 becomes impossible! kahn fotuali'i comes on and passes straight out of the scrum/ruck without wasting time and all of a sudden the backline has some room to move. It's a fundamental issue with Elis's game and it scares the crap out of me that he's been selected for the AB's today. All Blacks backlines have struggled with slow ball from Elis in the past and will do so again when he gets his shot.

If you think that was good officiating, god help us.

I still as an unbiased on looker from the UK believe that the Crusaders are the better team but made far too many mistakes and it ultimately cost them. Also, a few crusaders most notably mccaw had absolute shockers. I thought horwill and tapuai had stormers and also for the crusaders the lock pairing of thorn and whitelock got through a hell of a lot of work. But as i mentioned earlier the crusaders made far too many mistakes and it ultimately cost them.

All I'm going to say is Zac Guildford confirmed why he is an average winger. Never hit the line with any pace, didn't throw a single good pass, got fended by a lock and beated to the try line from 40-50m out and missed crucial tackles.

I agree Guildford had a poor game - he himself is the first to admit that too. His game wasn't quite as bad as many have suggested: I certainly didn't remember him missing any crucial tackles, indeed I thought he had a very strong defensive game. He only missed two tackles during the match, the one on Horwill (which was a bad miss), and could have been crucial had the whistle not been blown a few seconds before, and one when Quade Cooper stepped him when he chased through too quickly after a kick. He actually made a number of crucial tackles throughout the game; game stats (www.foxsports.com.au) suggest he made 6 tackles and missed only 1 (I'm assume the one on Cooper, as the Horwill missed tackle wouldn't have been included). Compared to some of the other Crusaders outside backs (Fruean made 5, missed 5; Maitland made 2, missed 3) it makes Guildford look pretty good! Guildford also saved the Crusaders a couple of times under pressure in the right hand corner after kicks through by the Reds - on one occasion he put in a huge touch finder from inside his 22 that went out <10m from the Reds goal-line. Again I'm not suggesting he had anything other than a poor game, but playing a poor game in the final does not take much away from the outstanding season he has had.

Onto the game itself. Congrats to the Reds - I felt they thoroughly deserved the win. As expected they struggled at the scrum, but did well to negate the Crusaders dominance for a lot of the match by getting the ball quickly out the back of the scrum, though they struggled more as the match went on. I thought Ben Daley and Saia Faingaa both were very strong around the field. The Reds dominated he lineout (though this was helped by Flynn's poor throwing), Horwill in particular stood out. The loose-trio again had strong games. Higginbotham has some fantastic skills for a loose-forward; it will be interesting to see whether Deans finds a place for him in the Wallaby 22.

Genia scored a brilliant individual try, but struggled to distribute behind a pack going backwards. I also thought he box-kicked far too often on turnover ball, as at times it looked like the Crusaders would have been stretched had the ball been spread wide. Cooper was reasonably quiet, but I thought the centre pairing of Tapuai and Faingaa probably got the best of SBW and Fruean, largely due to their strong defense. I thought Tapaui looked particularly dangerous with the ball in hand too, at times I thought it was Ioane was with the ball such was the danger he was posing! Davies looked good in space, but he did lose the ball in contact a couple of times, and missed a few tackles. I very impressed with Lance, particularly his strong physical running. Ioane had a very mixed game; he looked great with the ball in hand and scored a great individual try, but he looked very shaky under the high ball, and collecting the loose-ball - I'm Henry and co. will have taken notice of this....

Flynn had a bit of a shocker for the Crusaders at lineout time, which was strange as he's actually been pretty accurate all year. The Crusaders props again had strong games, but neither of the locks stood-out in this game. I felt Thorn blew a try too when he went himself despite having about a 5 on 1 overlap outside him. McCaw's lack of form still worries me - he was largely ineffective at the breakdown, and his handling let him down a number of times. Hopefully it is just a lack of gametime that McCaw is suffering from. Keiran Read was the pick of the loose-trio, though even he wasn't as effective as he has been in recent weeks. Ellis and Carter were ok, as was SBW, though again I think he forced the offloads far too often. Fruean again showed why he is not ready for the AB's, continously running out of the line and missing tackles or leaving huge gaps in the Crusaders defence. As mentioned before Guildford was poor, but Maitland was equally poor; he struggled to tackle Ioane, knocked on (an admittedly difficult) pass with the try line open, and failing to prevent Genia from scoring despite Genia clearly being his man.

Latest posts