• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Super 15: Cheetahs - Crusaders in Bloemfontein (14-05-2011)

TRF_Ezequiel

Kanko Krazy!!!
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Sharks
Super%20Rugby.png

Cheetahs.png
Versus%20Super.png
Crusaders.png

When the Cheetahs travel overseas, it's an almost certain loss. This season they recorded their first ever win overseas, when beating the Waratahs 3-23 in Sydney. Can they do it again? we know by now that they can score tries. Sarel Pretorius has scored 8 so far and Riaan Viljoen scored a hat-trick last week when they beat the Lions. Sias Ebersohn at fly-half is also a very consistent kicker, having converted numerous tries this season. Their problem is in defense. Despite scoring 13 tries in the last 3 matches, they conceded 13 as well in those matches. Can they score another 4 tries against the Crusaders?

The Crusaders come off a win in Cape Town, but suffer from serious injuries. Israel Dagg and Sean Maitland being the latest additions to the infermory. Daniel Carter and Richie McCaw seem to have been declared fit to play, which is good news. The losses against the Blues and Highlanders seem to be isolated incidents, 2 months apart. Can they last another 2 months without a loss? Or will the Cheetahs cause an upset by beating the Canterbury side?

In recent years, the Cheetahs have only won once. In 2009, they managed to give the Saders a hard time, winning 20-13 in Bloemfontein. It was the first and only loss so far since the Cheetahs went solo in 2006. The only other match between the two in the Free State was in 2007, when the Crusaders won 28-49

2010 Crusaders 45-6 Cheetahs
2009 Cheetahs 20-13 Crusaders
2008 Crusaders 55-7 Cheetahs
2007 Cheetahs 28-49 Crusaders
2006 Crusaders 53-17 Cheetahs
2005 Crusaders 40-36 Cats
2004 Cats 37-39 Crusaders
2003 Crusaders 65-34 Cats
2002 Cats 30-37 Crusaders

Are you sure that Cardiff are that good. I mean being able to win a match your not even playing in....

Having Carter and McCaw back will be huge for the Crusaders. I'd expect them to win this game, though the Cheetahs could give them quite a scare.

McCaw will likely start ahead of Todd at 7 (as they had originally planned last week), which will set up a good battle between himself and Brossuw. Willie Heinz looks set to get his first Crusaders start at halfback, and while I still think Fruean is due for a rest, because of all the backline injuries the Crusaders have suffered he looks set to start again this week. I'd imagine Adam Whitelock and Tom Marshall will replace Sean Maitland and Israel Dagg respectively, with both Ryan Crotty and Brent Ward set to sit on the bench after just arriving in South Africa yesterday.

Adam Whitelock is injured too

going to be hard to call until the team is released

good news is that Ben Franks should be good, maybe he will start in the backs?

Why do I have a feeling that if I bet on the Saders, the Cheetahs will pull a 5 pointer from this match?

I didn't realise Cardiff were even playing! :p
(Take a look at the vBookie options)

Last edited:
Adam Whitelock is injured too

going to be hard to call until the team is released

good news is that Ben Franks should be good, maybe he will start in the backs?

Oops your right, Adam Whitelock has gone back to NZ too, forgot about that!

It seems likely that one of the new players may be brought straight into the starting lineup. Ward could either start on the wing or fullback (depending on where they want to play Tom Marshall), but there is also the option of moving Robbie Fruean to the wing and starting Crotty in the midfield alongside SBW.

Why do I have a feeling that if I bet on the Saders, the Cheetahs will pull a 5 pointer from this match?

I didn't realise Cardiff were even playing! :p
(Take a look at the vBookie options)

LOL

I will be at Bloemfontein stadium to help my family support their team against one of the best super rugby franchises. The cheetahs look better than ever and if they can only improve their defence system and put in more hits they are going to be a huge threat. Hope for the best and that my travel to Bloemfontein from Kimberley won’t be in vain, if it is o well at least I get to see the family.:)

I hope the Cheetash can avenge my poor Stormers. Wouldn't bet on it though.

Should be plenty of tries in this one. I enjoy watching both teams 'cos they play some good ruggas.

Where did that halfback Pretorius come from?...good player.

Should be plenty of tries in this one. I enjoy watching both teams 'cos they play some good ruggas.

Sam he comes from my hometown Kimberley and played for Griquas. And yes he is an amazing player.

I also expect a ton of tries. Will be sure to get as much Crusaders and Cheetahs into my fantasy team as I can make transfers LOL.

Pretorius is a Griquas player (Northern Cape Province with Kimberley as capital) and has been a dangerous player for 3 years now in the Currie Cup. He only got some regular gametime in Super rugby towards the end of last year where the Cheetahs made a bit of a comeback along with Bjorn Basson who was also a Griquas player but now signed with the Blue Bulls. He did enough end last year to convince Naka Drotske to drop his own (Free State) scrummie to the bench in favor of Pretorius. Exciting player but REEEEAAALy needs to do some work on his defense. Its worse than Coopers!! He drops 4 tackles each game (and doesn't make a ton of attempts either).

Hmmmmmm, for some reason I can't view the second page...

Mon the Cheetahs, strut your stuff, beat the Crusaders, help the Sharks qualify for and win the Superugby ***le, and take a drive down to Durban for contract talks :p

I geniunely think they can win this one, in fact I am placing all my vBookie cash (26) on this

I hope all those placing bets on the Cardiff Blues aren't too upset when they don't pitch up to play..

Crusaders team to play Cheetahs named ... some interesting re-shuffles in the back line, plus two prominent All Blacks back :)

http://www.crusaders.co.nz/news/crusaders-team-to-play-cheetahs/517/news.aspx

Crusaders team to play Cheetahs
Thursday, 12 May 2011
The Crusaders welcome back captain Richie McCaw and first-five Dan Carter for their match against the Cheetahs in Bloemfontein on Saturday night (5.10am Sunday NZ time).

McCaw missed last week's victory over the Stormers in Cape Town after a head knock against the Force and returns to openside flanker.

Carter has not played since injuring his hamstring in the match against the Sharks at Twickenham on March 27.

Also back from injury is Ben Franks (lower back), who left the field against the Force and wasn't available for last week's Stormers match. Franks will start at loosehead prop, with Wyatt Crockett moving to the reserves bench.

Willi Heinz starts at halfback, replacing Kahn Fotuali'I (knee) and Tom Marshall starts at fullback, replacing Israel Dagg (thigh).

Ryan Crotty will start at centre outside Sonny Bill Williams, with Robbie Fruean moving to the right wing following Sean Maitland's foot injury last weekend. It will be Crotty's first inclusion in the match-day squad this season.

Auckland ITM Cup fullback Brent Ward, who was called into the squad this week, is on the reserves bench, as is halfback Steve Alfeld, a Crusaders wider training group member.

Crusaders head coach Todd Blackadder said: "We have managed all the players carefully this week due to the tough nature of last week's match, but we expect everyone to be ready for this tough challenge against the Cheetahs. Our new squad members have slotted in well and we know they will do the job for us."

Crotty, Alfeld, Ward and Crusaders wider training group member Tom Taylor joined the squad this week after the injured Dagg, Maitland, Fotuali'I and Adam Whitelock returned home to Christchurch.

Not considered due to injury were Israel Dagg (thigh), Sean Maitland (foot), Kahn Fotuali'I (knee), Adam Whitelock (chest muscle), Andy Ellis (thumb), Brad Thorn (calf) and Sam Whitelock (ankle).

The Crusaders team to play the Cheetahs at Free State Stadium in Bloemfontein on Saturday, May 14, kick-off 7.10pm (NZ time: Sunday, May 15, kick-off 5.10am), is:

Ben Franks
Corey Flynn
Owen Franks
Luke Romano
Chris Jack
George Whitelock
Richie McCaw (c)
Kieran Read
Willi Heinz
Dan Carter
Zac Guildford
Sonny Bill Williams
Ryan Crotty
Robbie Fruean
Tom Marshall
Quentin MacDonald
Wyatt Crockett
Joe Wheeler
Matt Todd
Steve Alfeld
Matt Berquist
Brent Ward

The team looks strong even though they have lost a few players to injury, though getting McCaw and Carter back is bound to make any team look good! The Crusaders back three doesn't look as potent without Maitland and Dagg, though Fruean could cause some damage with more room to move on the wing. It could be quite a high scoring game, but I think the Crusaders should take it by 10-15 points.

You take that backline lightly at your peril. Crotty's mean and disciplined on D even if his running game is average and his kicking nonexistent. Marshall has been good for Tasman, may even make Daggs absence go unnoticed. Very good player for u20s was Marshall. Good to see Todd getting much deserved rest. I personally would've started Crockett and Owen again because the Cheetahs packs are usually strong in the scrum but he'll no doubt make a second-half appearance.

Pretorius is a Griquas player (Northern Cape Province with Kimberley as capital) and has been a dangerous player for 3 years now in the Currie Cup. Exciting player but REEEEAAALy needs to do some work on his defense. Its worse than Coopers!! He drops 4 tackles each game (and doesn't make a ton of attempts either).

Oh thats bad news about his defence, especially considering his position. Defence can be fixed though just a bit of extra work from a good coach will see him get past that and Im sure he's surrounded by them so its just a matter of time 'till he gets that sorted out.

Everytime I see the Cheetahs try-scoring highlights, hes always on the TV screen, whether its scoring, supporting or assisting. Very good consistent attacking machine.

Ooooe, that Crusaders line-up doesn't look any worse for wear does it. Crusaders by 12 in a try feast.

The clever bet here is to not go with your heart if your an South African looks like this one will be all over except the shouting.

Latest posts