• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: New Zealand - Australia (25/08/2012)

the wallabies weren't at the races today, did not get why they were kicking the ball away when in possesion. don't think it was robbie fault, hopefully the wallabies will bounce back strong

Barnes will switch codes to AFL next year. Pretty sure the Swans or GWS will pick him up on current form

Very harsh critics. Watched this game after my team won our U21 devision, so was not in a good state to analyse it, but it looked like the All Blacks dominated avery facit of the game. Not the most exciting match ever, but still a good result. Cooper and Deans have called it the best All Blacks team ever with the best performance, think that may be hyperbole, but you can't be too picky when the #1 side beats the #2 in the world by 22 points.

I think this allblack team is miles ahead of any other nation at the moment, probably the biggest gap yet.

probably agree with that especially after the autumn series where they made a good irish side look like a sunday pub team

Its a Blackout.

First down-trou for Australia since 1973 when Wales did it.

First since 1`962 for the All Blacks

SBW and Read were outstanding tonight (one of the surely MOTM)

Deans will be gone after this I think

Agreed although I would probably go with Read because he was everywhere but SBW certainly hammered the Aussie defense.

As for Deans part of me hopes you are wrong because I like seeing the All Blacks win but I suspect at the very least this is his first and last 4 Nations

great result, ok game for the all blacks. They have built on last week gained a little more continuity. Still maybe a little guilty of lacking patients on attack I think that will be their main lesson to take from this game.

I think accross the park improvements apart from two areas I think. Romano did not do so well, ran into a bit of trouble at the lineout and made some mistakes around the field. This is the 2nd game in a row now he has been subbed early and Retalick has come on and done a very solid job. we may see Retalick get starts now.

Also Was not super impressed with Crockett, really saw this as his big chance IMO Ben Franks is clearly the better option right now. Maybe Bring Charlie onto the bench if woody is still injured. Not quite as bad but I was looking for more from Gear this game. He's been solid without being much of a threat. I look at the way Ben Smith played off the bench, think maybe smith is a better option to start than Gear.

A lot to like though

McCaw and Messam were very good in particular on defense and countering the increased Aussie efforts at the breakdown. Read was brilliant, this trio seems to be working well and Vito was impressive when he came on. Really happy seeing Messam and Vito ahead of Thomson. I think they have finally got it right there - Should have been that way last year.

Aaron Smith great again, two games in a row he has outplayed the best 9 in the world (Genia)

SBW pretty much man of the match or at least level with Read - big loss for NZ rugby, hope he is back in NZ within two years, a season in Japan and a season in the NRL, a League world cup then back to the CHIEFS and AB's

Better game from Jane, some good touches very very solid. Dagg was great, better than last week IMO.

Aussies and Deans are in trouble. Deans should go, I know people are saying he should not be a scape goat and maybe he does not have the players and has injury issues but again the aussies had the wrong game plan. Wallabies are losing the tactical battle, they kicked way too much and had no creativity on attack

Right, We won. Convincingly. But this was far from a classic AB's performance. We dominated in nearly every facet of play, but our finishing was truly woeful - it takes more than one hand to count how many tries we blew! If we had been clinical we probably could have put 50 points on this Australian side, but I suppose it is hard to be too critical with a 22-0 win...

First up, Australia. In general they were very disappointing in most aspects, though their desperation on defense was very impressive at times. They were generally out played up front, but the pick of the Wallabies for me was probably Sitaleki Timani. I was very critical of his inclusion initially, as I didn't think he did enough work, but he has more than proven me wrong over these two tests! He was everywhere - making key tackles, running with ball in hand, and hitting plenty of rucks. If the rest of the Aussie side had his commitment it would have been a much closer match! Sharpe was pretty solid too, though not as effective as last week. Michael Hooper was the other standout for Australia. He was brilliant at the breakdown, made a pile of tackles, and looked good with ball in hand - it seems a strange this to say, but Australia didn't miss Pocock at all! The other two loosies were disappointing (again) - I defended Dennis after last weekend, but he was even less effective this week, while Higginbotham is still far too loose for this level of rugby. Samo made a good impact again for a second week in a row, so could well be in the starting lineup for Australia's next match.

Not a lot to say about Australia's backs. Cooper seemed to be playing within himself, which makes him far less dangerous. Ioane was probably the only dangerous back again, while Ashley-Cooper looked as solid as ever (a great try saving tackle again this week..).

For New Zealand there were probably less standouts in the forwards than last week. Crockett was pretty solid (apart from being penalised at the first scrum!), while Franks was probably the pick of the tight-five. Romano had a bit of a disappointing match after a great match last week - it was obviously a tactic, but he kept passing the ball (poorly) rather than running it up (which is his strength). Retallick looked good again when he came on, and I expect he will start in the next test.

Messam was far more accurate than last weekend, but continued to be punishing on defense which is great to see. McCaw was solid, but the pick of the loosies was Read, who was everywhere in attack and defense. If there is a better number 8 in world rugby I would like to see him!

Aaron Smith continued his good introduction to test rugby, and showed that he is a very strong defender too, making a number of tackles this match. Carter was good, but the standout back was probably SBW, who showed just how much he will be missed. He ran much straighter than last weekend, breaking numerous tackles, and his offloading was far more effective this week. Nonu was ok at centre (very solid on defense), the SBW/Nonu combo again wasn't overly effective (at least compared to a Nonu/Smith or SBW/Smith combo..).

Gear and Jane again didn't get a huge amount of space this week, but were generally pretty effective with the little ball they had, and showed good work-rates. Dagg was at his enigmatic best. A number of early errors, but some brilliant running, and work under the high ball as the game went on. Oh, and that guy that came on at centre (and then fullback) was complete class... if only I could remember his name ;)

Thing thats scary for the other nations is that imo the AB's are just cantering through the season so far... even though they arent putting up huge scores they are really dominating the opposition and when the games finished even when its close you can see it in the eyes of the opposition that they are well beaten. Brian O driscol at the end of the irish series was a great example of this. And last night Genia was almost falling over himself praising the Ab's.

Im beginning to wonder weather the hardest games for the Ab's this year might come from Argentina at home. Seriously they are pretty good on their day (usualy at home) imo.

And again i agree with Darwin on Ben Smith man he's unlucky that Dagg is around. Could they start him at centre in the upcoming tests? He's another Kahui imo and deserves a go.

Last edited:
yeah, as I said above I think on current form surely Ben Smith should be starting at 11 ahead of Gear. Gear has been solid but Smith has looked genuinely dangerous and created some chances. Gear has just really been taking the ball strongly into contact and doing the basics.

Still a lot of potential in this all black side, but it has to be said. When SBW leaves he will have genuinely left a gap in the all blacks arsenal that will be missed. Unique attacking threat, ever improving decision making and better than solid en every aspect even his kicking game, high work rate and very very good defender.

Even his biggest critics should have been completely silenced by now. in a few years in NZ rugby he's won an ITM cup, a super rugby ***le, bledesloe cup and a world cup.

I really hope he does have his year in Japan, year in the NRL, maybe a selection for the League world cup and goes straight back to the chiefs.

I thought Aaron Smith had an excellent game; and so did Ben Smith in the time he was in. I can only imagine how good this A team would be with Conrad Smith (to round out the AB -Smith trifecta). ;)

Would love to see either Ben or Savea start in place of Gear; and for Sam Cane to come back.

Right, We won. Convincingly. But this was far from a classic AB's performance. We dominated in nearly every facet of play, but our finishing was truly woeful - it takes more than one hand to count how many tries we blew! If we had been clinical we probably could have put 50 points on this Australian side, but I suppose it is hard to be too critical with a 22-0 win...

First up, Australia. In general they were very disappointing in most aspects, though their desperation on defense was very impressive at times. They were generally out played up front, but the pick of the Wallabies for me was probably Sitaleki Timani. I was very critical of his inclusion initially, as I didn't think he did enough work, but he has more than proven me wrong over these two tests! He was everywhere - making key tackles, running with ball in hand, and hitting plenty of rucks. If the rest of the Aussie side had his commitment it would have been a much closer match! Sharpe was pretty solid too, though not as effective as last week. Michael Hooper was the other standout for Australia. He was brilliant at the breakdown, made a pile of tackles, and looked good with ball in hand - it seems a strange this to say, but Australia didn't miss Pocock at all! The other two loosies were disappointing (again) - I defended Dennis after last weekend, but he was even less effective this week, while Higginbotham is still far too loose for this level of rugby. Samo made a good impact again for a second week in a row, so could well be in the starting lineup for Australia's next match.

Not a lot to say about Australia's backs. Cooper seemed to be playing within himself, which makes him far less dangerous. Ioane was probably the only dangerous back again, while Ashley-Cooper looked as solid as ever (a great try saving tackle again this week..).

For New Zealand there were probably less standouts in the forwards than last week. Crockett was pretty solid (apart from being penalised at the first scrum!), while Franks was probably the pick of the tight-five. Romano had a bit of a disappointing match after a great match last week - it was obviously a tactic, but he kept passing the ball (poorly) rather than running it up (which is his strength). Retallick looked good again when he came on, and I expect he will start in the next test.

Messam was far more accurate than last weekend, but continued to be punishing on defense which is great to see. McCaw was solid, but the pick of the loosies was Read, who was everywhere in attack and defense. If there is a better number 8 in world rugby I would like to see him!

Aaron Smith continued his good introduction to test rugby, and showed that he is a very strong defender too, making a number of tackles this match. Carter was good, but the standout back was probably SBW, who showed just how much he will be missed. He ran much straighter than last weekend, breaking numerous tackles, and his offloading was far more effective this week. Nonu was ok at centre (very solid on defense), the SBW/Nonu combo again wasn't overly effective (at least compared to a Nonu/Smith or SBW/Smith combo..).

Gear and Jane again didn't get a huge amount of space this week, but were generally pretty effective with the little ball they had, and showed good work-rates. Dagg was at his enigmatic best. A number of early errors, but some brilliant running, and work under the high ball as the game went on. Oh, and that guy that came on at centre (and then fullback) was complete class... if only I could remember his name ;)

what? no mention of ben smith :O omg...

i think Dagg was very selfish at times... he blew 2 tries by not passing... and i think Ben Smith looked better than him when coming on... ui think they need to drop dagg for ben smith... man ben smith reminded me of Cullen when he broke the line... :'(

how good is aaron smith??? he kicked Genia's ass home and away... wow... who needs experience??? then again playing behind such goods forwards, I WOULD BE TOO :p not taking anything away from aaron lol

man i just love nz fans... still won by 22points but not satisfied ;) we have high standards or just arogance :p if this was SA, any win will do lol no matter how crap...

gotta say i was a tkb fan during super rugby but seeing aaron smith now in black, clearly a better choice

yeah, as I said above I think on current form surely Ben Smith should be starting at 11 ahead of Gear. Gear has been solid but Smith has looked genuinely dangerous and created some chances. Gear has just really been taking the ball strongly into contact and doing the basics.

Still a lot of potential in this all black side, but it has to be said. When SBW leaves he will have genuinely left a gap in the all blacks arsenal that will be missed. Unique attacking threat, ever improving decision making and better than solid en every aspect even his kicking game, high work rate and very very good defender.

Even his biggest critics should have been completely silenced by now. in a few years in NZ rugby he's won an ITM cup, a super rugby ***le, bledesloe cup and a world cup.

I really hope he does have his year in Japan, year in the NRL, maybe a selection for the League world cup and goes straight back to the chiefs.

While I agree that Gear hasn't been fantastic, he's really had no oppertunities. Ben Smith did look good, but he was at centre and fullback (both positions I think he's better suited to). I'd much rather see Savea get a shot with Ben Smith getting more time at fullback. I'd even rather see Ben Smith to fullback with Dagg on the wing than Ben Smith at wing.

While I agree that Gear hasn't been fantastic, he's really had no oppertunities. Ben Smith did look good, but he was at centre and fullback (both positions I think he's better suited to). I'd much rather see Savea get a shot with Ben Smith getting more time at fullback. I'd even rather see Ben Smith to fullback with Dagg on the wing than Ben Smith at wing.

Agree entirely. Smith deserves a run at fullback, with Dagg on the wing. Jane, Dagg, Smith are all natural fullbacks, so Hansen could play around with their roles if he so desired.
I think Smith is much quicker than he is given credit for. I think it was against the Rebels he scored one or two tries and showed some good pace coming into the line.

another here wanting to see dagg on the wing and smith at fullback....it just seems a natural thing to try, they were happy for dagg to play on the wing when mil's was around

another here wanting to see dagg on the wing and smith at fullback....it just seems a natural thing to try, they were happy for dagg to play on the wing when mil's was around

Well, Mils was one of top fullbacks of the professional era, possibly the best (alongside Montgomery and Latham).
Dagg can still attack from deep, NZ can just have a wing hang back if necessary. The number means very little.

The Dagg, Jane, Smith combo may be seen against SA who have gone back to box kick/bombing as their way to attack. All three are good under the high ball and at counter attacking so if ever there would be a game to see them in the back three that would be it.

I never really got the fuss around Ben Smith, but I think he looked fantastic on the weekend. He is making a believer of me.

dagg at 11 and smith at 15 would be good but it's not going to happen, dagg has 15 pretty much covered unless he's injured, hansen is less likely to tinker compared to Henry. Smiths best shot at gametime is at 11, Gear has been fairly solid. But he's not Ben Smith.

That crazy guy - TRF_Darwin I think his name was - has been ranting on about Ben Smith for years. Everyone thought he was simply a nutter (TRF_Darwin, not Ben Smith), but oh how things have changed ;)

Latest posts