• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: New Zealand - Australia (25/08/2012)

the thing I see with Dans game is that he does not always deploy his running game.

Maybe due to game plan or maybe if he is carrying an injury so he holds back to look after it.

Then other times he will run and he cuts sides to shreads.

The way I see it I think Dans running game is the best in the world. He's just very smart on when he should and should not actually deploy it.

It's a good idea, actually saw something similar from Barrett this year. He will go 34-60min without even looking like he's going to run then all of a sudden he sees a tired defender and he will cut a team to shreads and set up a try with a linebreak & 40-50m run that seemed to come from nowhere, very smart player.

the thing I see with Dans game is that he does not always deploy his running game.

Maybe due to game plan or maybe if he is carrying an injury so he holds back to look after it.

Then other times he will run and he cuts sides to shreads.

The way I see it I think Dans running game is the best in the world. He's just very smart on when he should and should not actually deploy it.

It's a good idea, actually saw something similar from Barrett this year. He will go 34-60min without even looking like he's going to run then all of a sudden he sees a tired defender and he will cut a team to shreads and set up a try with a linebreak & 40-50m run that seemed to come from nowhere, very smart player.
Yep.

It's called adapting - in Dan's case, it's to do with the fact that he cannot rely on just doing that every time anymore, but he's still just as deadly, just in a different way.

Barrett; is very smart by using it sparingly, too. Even though he looks a bit funny running.

Effective funny running at that. ;)

that's the brilliant thing about carter, sure he has a good all round game, but his decision making (knowing when to employ one strategy over another) which makes him an awesome player.

Yip, it also keeps the defenders guesing... is Carter gona run, kick(territory), pass, chip kick, grubber kick... same with Barrett, Cruden, Lambie and Goosen oh yeah and Morne Steyn, no wait... :p

Not really, he is no Morne Steyn or Jonny Wilkinson in that respect and he's no JMH in terms of his tactical kicking but his dangerous running game and ample opportunities afforded to him by his pack tended to gloss over that. I would still rate him as the best flyhalf in test rugby albeit the level of competition is not great as it had been in the past. Definitely not the player he was and McCaw's decline is also visible, I think they will be phased out over the next year. It's emotive for NZ supporters so I would expect their views to differ, father time however waits for no man.

Or this 62m kick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4S-cAXCtw4Hard

to demonstrate a kickers ability, especially when discussing consistency, but Carter's kicking is probably the best in the world. Certainly in terms of tactical kicking, but I'd rate him as very, very good goal kicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts