• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Australia v New Zealand (20/08/2016)

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
140916065417362597.png

140916065414622115.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065415463267.png

Venue: ANZ Stadium,Sydney
Time: 12:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

- - - Updated - - -

All Blacks travelling squad for the test:

Forwards: Dane Coles, Nathan Harris, Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Owen Franks, Kane Hames, Joe Moody, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Brodie Retallick, Patrick Tuipulotu, Samuel Whitelock, Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Kieran Read, Ardie Savea, Liam Squire, Matt Todd.

Backs: Tawera Kerr-Barlow, TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Cruden, Lima Sopoaga, Ryan Crotty, Malakai Fekitoa, Anton Lienert-Brown, George Moala, Israel Dagg, Waisake Naholo, Julian Savea, Ben Smith.

Kane Hames and Matt Todd have been included as cover for Moody (left in NZ) and Sam Cane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has Sam Cane also been left in NZ? Would like to see Ardie start at 7.

Dane Coles surely can't be fit after his rib injury. He did not look fit during the Super final.

Will be interesting to see how the Wallabies respond after losing the series 3 zip at home to England. Especially after all the overseas Wallabies return. They also look a different team with Pocock in there.

If the Aussie performance in super rugby is anything to go off I reckon theres a chance a camera on Michael Cheika for the 80 minutes could be more entertaining than the game.

Cannot get my head around Aussies being defending champs after their performances in WC QF, Super Rugby and series against England. I think they are stronger than people think, are coached pretty well by Cheika and are my favourite for second place overall. Would be fantastic for the tournament if they could pull off a shock, as realistically this is one of only two fixtures the ABs have a reasonable chance of losing. But I think the Kiwis will win by 7-10.

Australia will win this - despite NZ's depth they are coming into the tournament with injuries which is uncharacteristic for them.
Aus also have older players with a lot of test caps under their belt compared to NZ who's main stays retired after the world cup - experience could be the difference.

Cannot get my head around Aussies being defending champs after their performances in WC QF, Super Rugby and series against England. I think they are stronger than people think, are coached pretty well by Cheika and are my favourite for second place overall. Would be fantastic for the tournament if they could pull off a shock, as realistically this is one of only two fixtures the ABs have a reasonable chance of losing. But I think the Kiwis will win by 7-10.

Barnes. Get your head around that name as he was the reason Australia won that tournament last year. Ridiculous refereeing performance in Sydney last year. Plus the championship last year was only 3 matches each with the focus on the WC.

- - - Updated - - -

Australia will win this - despite NZ's depth they are coming into the tournament with injuries which is uncharacteristic for them.
Aus also have older players with a lot of test caps under their belt compared to NZ who's main stays retired after the world cup - experience could be the difference.

Dunno about that NZ were 3 or 4 tries better than Australia when it really mattered last year. Still plenty of experience in this team.

Hmm - after seeing what England did to OZ, it is difficult to imagine anything short of a 20 point NZ victory, if I am being honest. Still, the OZ have a way of arriving big for these games, and always believe in themselves against NZ, so hopefully will be a close contest. Just cannot see it.

Last edited:
Would like to see Faddes (SP?) get a sniff with the ABs. Occurs to me that he might be too "ginger" to make an ABs squad. The Tony Brown syndrome. :)

How many gingers have ever represented the ABs anyway? I always think of dark hair and muzzies.

Not many gingers in World Rugby in fairness. Who have been the great Gingers? No Gilligans Island jokes please. :)

Last edited:
Radiosport.co.nz reporting the NZ team as:

[FONT=&quot]The full side is: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Malakai Fekitoa, Ryan Crotty, Waisake Naholo, Beauden Barrett,Aaron Smith, Kieran Read, (captain), Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Owen Franks, Nathan Harris and Wyatt Crockett.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The reserves are: Codie Taylor, Kane Hames, Charlie Faumuina, Liam Squire, Ardie Savea, TJ Perenara, Aaron Cruden and Julian Savea.[/FONT]

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/sport-news/rugby/barrett-beats-cruden-for-starting-position-against-aus/

Nothing unexpected in the All Blacks team, happy to see Barrett starting but would have been equally happy with Cruden there.

Pretty huge that Hames will likely earn his first test cap given than he wasn't even in a Super squad at the start of the season. Not sure if he's actually signed with any of the teams next year.

I'll never understand putting the worlds best full back in Ben Smith on the wing ...... Is NMS injured still ?

Yeah I believe he is still out injured. Also Dagg played so well against Wales and Smith is easily capable on the wing.

Yeah I believe he is still out injured. Also Dagg played so well against Wales and Smith is easily capable on the wing.

Yeh i suppose I'm just a believer in playing in your best position . I think I'd have started a Naholo, Smith and Savea back 3

Wallabies lineup:

1. Scott Sio (18 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (105 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (66 Tests)
4.Kane Douglas (23 Tests)
5. Rob Simmons (62 Tests)
6. Ben McCalman (48 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (54 Tests)
8 David Pocock (56 Tests)
9. Will Genia (66 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (30 Tests)
11. Dane Haylett-Petty (3 Tests)
12. Matt Giteau (102 Tests)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (34 Tests)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (114 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (41 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (64 Tests)
17. James Slipper (77 Tests)
18. Allan Alaalatoa* (0 Tests)
19. Dean Mumm (46 Tests)
20. Scott Fardy (33 Tests)
21. Nick Phipps (42 Tests)
22. Matt Toomua (32 Tests)
23. Rob Horne (32 Tests)

Last edited:
Folau at fullback, Genia back from france, still has not retired Giteau and Hooper still at 7 Pocock at 8. Just LOL.

Cheika has learnt nothing. I guess on the bright side if they go well in this game Cheika might think thats the way forward. Mistakenly imo.

I actually think they could give us a hard time in the scrum though. I mean Wyatt has looked rubbish all year and Franks looks to have been going through the motions for about 5 years.... Moody is a massive loss for us as well as Coles. Really annoyed to see Julian named on the bench. Total waste of selection that guy he should of been dumped outright for the season imo to give someone else a shot.

Last edited:
I'll never understand putting the worlds best full back in Ben Smith on the wing ...... Is NMS injured still ?

Yeah, daggs picked up his game a bit but if smith had to be moved out of position I would have preferred it be for Mackenzie

Yeh i suppose I'm just a believer in playing in your best position . I think I'd have started a Naholo, Smith and Savea back 3

I don't think you'll see that combo any time soon with the ABs; certainly not starting. They tried it in he 1st test v Wales and it just didn't fire; not helped by Savea being out of form. Something about playing two out and out wingers. I think ABs look better with 1 out and out winger (Naholo or Savea when in form/maybe Lowe if Savea's lack of form continues), one full back (Ben Smith or Dagg) and one winger cum/full back in the mound of Ben Smith or NMS when he returns.

Folau at fullback, Genia back from france, still has not retired Giteau and Hooper still at 7 Pocock at 8. Just LOL.

Cheika has learnt nothing. I guess on the bright side if they go well in this game Cheika might think thats the way forward. Mistakenly imo.

I actually think they could give us a hard time in the scrum though. I mean Wyatt has looked rubbish all year and Franks looks to have been going through the motions for about 5 years.... Moody is a massive loss for us as well as Coles. Really annoyed to see Julian named on the bench. Total waste of selection that guy he should of been dumped outright for the season imo to give someone else a shot.

Crockett is responsible for a great majority of collapsed scrums IMHO. But that's another debate. That oz front row is pretty lightweight if you ask me, and I don't see them posing a threat to the abs pack even if you are without Coles. Sio is rubbish, and got mauled by Dan Coles in the England series. Again, my opinion only. Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of fellas resting at scrum time.

somewhat surprised you don't rate hooper and pocock TBF. They each have the ability to be right pests and a lot depends on the flow of the game, the score, run of play and bounce of the ball. I wouldn't bet against either of them being out of place in the match.

genia is miles better than that useless Phipps lad. Talk about being the most predictable half back in rugby. I wonder how that lad ever got into a national side, so lacking in adventure is his game. " here, let me just pass it out to Bernard ...... Again!!!!" :)

i just hope it's a close game and hard hitting.

Last edited:
Half the time with Phibbs the pass goes to ground or over the dead ball line, good defender though.

Last edited:
The Aussies are always tough, and tougher at home but they must be worried because...

• Listening device found in team meeting room at All Blacks' hotel in Double Bay

• A police investigation is underway and hotel has launched own inquiry

• Bug may have recorded team meeting, says NZ Rugby boss Steve Tew

• Aussie rugby boss is "utterly disappointed" media broke story "on match day"

• ARU categorically denies involvement

• Police boss questions delay in discovery being relayed to authorities

• Wallaby great says revelation is "blight on classic contest"

Australian police are investigating why it took days for New Zealand Rugby to come forward about a bugging device found in the All Blacks' team meeting room at a Sydney hotel.

The device was found on Monday, hidden in a chair at the InterContinental Hotel in Double Bay during a routine security check, but wasn't reported to police until today.

The All Blacks have been staying at the hotel ahead of tonight's Bledisloe Cup opener against the Wallabies.

New South Wales Police held a media conference about the discovery this afternoon.

Asked whether the six-day delay made the investigation tougher, Superintendent Brad Hodder told reporters that "any delay in any investigation's always tough but we'll look at that information".

"We will be looking at all the avenues and what part of the legislation it comes under, in particular ... we'll look at telecommunications offences and the Devices Listening Act," he said.

- - - Updated - - -

How much can you learn from an All Blacks team meeting?

"All right boys, you know your roles, go out there and nail it."

Latest posts