• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 1: Australia v New Zealand (18/08/2018)

Agree but it was wayneBarnes on that touch. Probably watching for forward passes

Peyper was the ref and saw it on the big screen according to the commentators and decided not to YC Naholo. Ultimately it's Peyer's decision. No consistency.

Actually wasn't an Aussie, it was Andrew Merhtens who said that!

And he had a valid point. Not that the decision mattered in the end.
He was just pointing out that because of the camera perspective his head being onside doesn't make him onside.
From a camera at halfway a players head can be on the 22 line but his feet will be 5 or 10 metres in front.
The decision didn't end up being important but it was nice to hear someone using a wee bit of logic in the commentary rather than listening to Phil Kerns constant whining. He's a total joke.

Some thoughts as an Aussie:

1. Worst line-out in the modern era? Probably. They kept throwing it straight to Lurch. Boggles the mind.
2. God i hate how consistently the ABs infringe in their own 22. It's calculated and extremely effective. If only we had even a quarter of their nous.
3. Didn't want to see Naholo sent but it really highlights the clear inability for refs to consistently enforce WR directives. Koro got a yellow for the exact same tackle just last match. In SR they have been issuing yellows for beyond horizontal automatically. It's confusing.
4. Does anyone understand scrums anymore? They seem to be a possession lottery.
5. How bad are the Wallabies? I wouldn't be surprised if we never win the Bled again. We are actively getting worse, the player base is shrinking and interest waning. Kiwis the opposite. Won't be long before the Sydney test will be played in front of 30k (mostly Kiwis) and then a sellout on the return leg at Eden park.
6. Defense in the first half was reasonably good, but also the ABs bombed at least two tries. Think the Kiwis looked a little rusty to begin with. Second half, we fell to complete and absolute **** in every possible way and the ABs stopped dropping the ball.
7. The Aussies seem to have a really weak mentality. As calls start to go again them it seems that they really let it get to them.

I couldn't be arsed watching the SR final because it was a foregone conclusion. I suspect the world cup will be the same.

There are players that can't even make an extended ABs squad that would walk into the Wallabies. It's gotten to the point where young Australian players would prefer to go to NZ, do their time and try and make the ABs than play for their home country.

Hopefully the Bokkies can bring a bit of competition back to the Championship, but i doubt it.

In the first half, I understood why Hansen said the Wallabies was favourites going into that game. He would've been happy to be proven wrong in the second half when the Wallabies failed to maintain their grip, because the Wallabies had it.
They never had it. You bombed at least two tries in the first half. We were desperately clinging on by the end of the first half and you walked away with in the second. As you always do. France put up more of a fight than us.

And he had a valid point. Not that the decision mattered in the end.
He was just pointing out that because of the camera perspective his head being onside doesn't make him onside.
From a camera at halfway a players head can be on the 22 line but his feet will be 5 or 10 metres in front.
The decision didn't end up being important but it was nice to hear someone using a wee bit of logic in the commentary rather than listening to Phil Kerns constant whining. He's a total joke.

im sorry but thats not how perspective works, distortion only occurs in the depth, things that are vertical remain vertical

They never had it. You bombed at least two tries in the first half. We were desperately clinging on by the end of the first half and you walked away with in the second. As you always do. France put up more of a fight than us.
If you're leading at half time, you can definitely say you had it. I honestly did think you guys we're in a zone where you could weather whatever we threw at you guys. Unfortunately it's a game of two halves and you guys didn't come out the sheds.

I reckon second game will be closer. Whoever wins it will be by a narrow margin.

If you're leading at half time, you can definitely say you had it. I honestly did think you guys we're in a zone where you could weather whatever we threw at you guys. Unfortunately it's a game of two halves and you guys didn't come out the sheds.

I reckon second game will be closer. Whoever wins it will be by a narrow margin.
Can't be ****** getting my hopes up anymore ay.

Even if it's close run, ABs will tie up the bled for another year next weekend.

Peyper was the ref and saw it on the big screen according to the commentators and decided not to YC Naholo. Ultimately it's Peyer's decision. No consistency.
I haven't seen the incident but if it was Peyper's call nothing was ever going to come from it. He's the most dangerous ref in rugby, I only see him in autumn and summer internationals and the odd RC game but remember multiple occasions where he has let direct and reckless contact with the head go unpunished.

I haven't seen the incident but if it was Peyper's call nothing was ever going to come from it. He's the most dangerous ref in rugby, I only see him in autumn and summer internationals and the odd RC game but remember multiple occasions where he has let direct and reckless contact with the head go unpunished.

I honestly don't know what to make of this tackle, on the one angle it looks like a clear yellow, but on that angle from behind Naholo, it doesn't look like Naholo is doing the lifting through the horizontal and flipping Folau.

Also, Folau didn't land on his head or neck, and even used his arm and shoulders to protect himself when going to ground, which could also be a mitigating factor.

I'd be very interested to see if the citing commissioner will investigate this matter any further.

I honestly don't know what to make of this tackle, on the one angle it looks like a clear yellow, but on that angle from behind Naholo, it doesn't look like Naholo is doing the lifting through the horizontal and flipping Folau.

Also, Folau didn't land on his head or neck, and even used his arm and shoulders to protect himself when going to ground, which could also be a mitigating factor.

I'd be very interested to see if the citing commissioner will investigate this matter any further.

I don't think Naholo was cited because it didn't meet the red card threshold.

So the only difference between Ben Smith's YC (@1:50) in the World Cup final and Naholo's non YC is that Folau stuck his hand out to break his fall. I thought it was the tackler's responsibility to ensure the tackled player tipped past the horizontal is brought safely to ground? I am sure no player tackled like that wants to land on their neck nor should they be thinking that they should not protect themselves to get the tackler yellow carded.

Just a total lack of consistency.

So the only difference between Ben Smith's YC (@1:50) in the World Cup final and Naholo's non YC is that Folau stuck his hand out to break his fall. I thought it was the tackler's responsibility to ensure the tackled player tipped past the horizontal is brought safely to ground? I am sure no player tackled like that wants to land on their neck nor should they be thinking that they should not protect themselves to get the tackler yellow carded.

Just a total lack of consistency.

I don't think it's that clear cut though. Ben Smith's video shows how he lifts the player and then dumps him down, whereas in Naholo's video, it doesn't clearly show that he as the tackler is lifting nor twisting Folau into falling in such a manner as that it could constitute dangerous play.

I think these 2 videos have a lot of contrast between them in the motion of what the tackler is doing when making contact with the attacker.

I could be completely wrong on this though. It just seems that Naholo isn't lifting Folau when he made contact and that it's more the natural process of how Folau is going to ground.

You can actually milk a penalty by just hoping up and ending up with your legs in the air.

It is possible...

I saw it as Folau putting himself in danger by trying to twist to escape whilst being lifted slightly, but not beyond the 90, he had been released by then.
Naholo certainly didn't lift and drive, more lift then fall, but wouldn't have complained if it was a yellow.

I saw it as Folau putting himself in danger by trying to twist to escape whilst being lifted slightly, but not beyond the 90, he had been released by then.
Naholo certainly didn't lift and drive, more lift then fall, but wouldn't have complained if it was a yellow.
i agree. to me it looks like folau jumps. he's solid on one leg and then that leg is suddenly parallel to the ground with his other leg.
i'd still say a yellow but did folau try and draw a penalty? dangerous precedent but shows a lot of skill on folaus part.

i wish charlieNgatai was eligible. he'd be the perfect counter punch to losing crotty. combined with ALB, SBW, laupmape or Goodhue charlie would really unleash the ABs backline i reckon.

kepu is a constant cheat. in goodhues try kepu was clearly holding him back without the ball. luckily goodhure was still able to accelerate away from kepu's grasp and be on hand for the final pass.
gosh kepu, if u gonna cheat at least try and be effective. cheating and still not able to stop a try is totally losing.

Latest posts