• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Australia v New Zealand (20/08/2016)

On Foley, I don't really have an opinion on him, I've never really noticed him very much whether the Wallabies are winning or losing.
He seems to do an ok job.
However, when I put him up against a player like Stephen Larkham his shortcomings become obvious very quickly. Even measuring him up to noddy, you have to wonder if there are other options out there offer Cheika at 10.
Maybe giving Quayde a go is not a bad idea but wait until the AB games are over.

On Foley, I don't really have an opinion on him, I've never really noticed him very much whether the Wallabies are winning or losing.
He seems to do an ok job.
However, when I put him up against a player like Stephen Larkham his shortcomings become obvious very quickly. Even measuring him up to noddy, you have to wonder if there are other options out there offer Cheika at 10.
Maybe giving Quayde a go is not a bad idea but wait until the AB games are over.

During the England series Foley was one of England's greatest weapons. He can not kick to save his life. He missed 2 touch finders that could've easily led to Wallabies scores and off the tee was woeful. He's a good running 10, but can't manage a game and can't kick. If I was Cheika I'd have been looking to get Giteau in at 10 or at least have him kicking. Christian would've been a good option at 10 too, had we not had the awful news.

Agree Wallabies have a big problem at 10. The sad thing is I can't think of anyone else that's in contention for their starting 10 spot. Cooper isn't worth mentioning. If they don't find someone fast I can't see them regaining any sort of parity with NZ and SA any time soon. Unless of course they can get some form out of Foley, and build a game plan that suits his play.

Agree with @Larksea on all points really. Cruden is no impact man - at times he looked like he was trying a bit too hard to create things without building a lot of pressure first. McKenzie seems the man to take that role, though I can't see it happening in the RC.

Savea definitely not up to scratch but I wouldn't be surprised if he starts. Hansen really seems to like the power/small wing combo. Even an out of form Savea is going to need, in most cases, a two man drift across to contain him on defense. Besides which I definitely don't see any of the new lot aside from Tamanivalu starting, so Julian is really our only option. I do think he'll regain some form throughout the international season though under the AB management.

One thing though - it'll be fascinating to see how they use Ioane. He could be the guy to force Dagg out of the line up, though I hate to say it as a huge Dagg fan. Ioane Smith Savea could easily handle the back three duties.... :cool:.... interesting times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aussie are much better than that performance.
Woe betide the AB's if they take the Wobblies too lightly in NZ.
I really don't think we are sadly... Our performances in the RWC last year showed plenty of promise, but this year it's like we've regressed further than ever before. It's all pretty depressing really, and it seems a lot of junior talent coming through don't even want to play union any more.

Case in point - Latrell Mitchell has been a revelation for the Roosters this year and is only 20, but he went to one of the posh private schools on a Rugby scholarship and the ARU were keen to get him into the Wallabies developmental pathways. But he's Aboriginal and all his heroes - guys like Thurston and Inglis - play in the NRL and so he balked at playing rugby.

This is a serious problem for us, because for the longest time the morons at the ARU had just assumed that if the choice was between "playing at Penrith or Paris" then the youngsters would obviously go with the latter and play union. Turns out it's not that simple though; community and public profile are just as important and sadly Union isn't able to provide players with much of either these days in Australia.

Something that we learned a long time ago about players playing in Europe with their different style, is that they simply do not fit straight back in with the SH style of play.

The French "Foreign Legion" did nothing last night, not a bloody thing.. Giteau was off injured in the first few minutes and the rest (Genia & AAC) had no more than workman-like performances. These players were "X-factor" players in Super Rugby, but not any more.

Agreed - probably would've been a different kettle of fish if these games were taking place in NH conditions, as we know the SH conditions compliments the enterprising style of play, albeit the SR final. But yes from what i've seen from most players returning, they either struggle to get off the mark or they can't consistently match their previous best performance levels.

To be honest I think the Aussie pack is as good as it can be, if there going to try anything it would be Folau to 13 maybe DHP to FB and start Toomua at 12 to give a different point of attack and give the kiwis something else to think about.

But in all honest off the back of a poor Super rugby season and a poor Series against England, Australia's morale just isn't there, they string 3-4 wins together they might be a force again, like I said they have a very good team just not the spirit at the moment..

All Blacks found a listening device, they reported a listening device. How else were they supposed to handle it?

With all the techonoglical developments in surveillance technology it wouldn't surprise me if a large percentage of NFL teams use sophisticated equipment, especially with all the money they've got. There is not nearly enough money in rugby yet.

All Blacks found a listening device, they reported a listening device. How else were they supposed to handle it?

Maybe report it in a timely fashion rather than wait for days to maximise media distraction in the day of the game?

Maybe ensure they don't recruit lunatics as security advisors?

Maybe immediately offer condolences to the Aussie RU and apologise for it being one of their organisation that did this?

Maybe give Hansen a slap for appearing to denegrate the work of the Oz police by suggesting the charges against the NZ were farcical?

I could go on...

I could go on...
please dont and lets get back to rugby.
aus need to leave super, they just arent addressing the lack of development and next gen coming through

instead of concentrating on grassroots they try everything else and sundry. fix the bottom of the pyramid first.

motm - imo samCane and ryanCrotty. cane shades crotty ever so slightly.

please dont and lets get back to rugby.
aus need to leave super, they just arent addressing the lack of development and next gen coming through

instead of concentrating on grassroots they try everything else and sundry. fix the bottom of the pyramid first.
motm - imo samCane and ryanCrotty. cane shades crotty ever so slightly.

you totally zombied this thread! :p

spot on here. Foley got rattled against England and has never recovered.
this is a moot point. just like when people talk about getting rid of cheika.
truth is aus dont have any prospects to replace foley or cheika

Latest posts