[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 6: South Africa v New Zealand (06/10/2018)

Discussion in 'The Rugby Championship 2019' started by TRF_heineken, Oct 1, 2018.

1. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Venue: Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
    Time: 17:05 CAT (SA, GMT+2)
    Teams

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cheslin Kolbe, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Francois Louw, 7 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Tendai Mtawarira, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 Damian Willemse

New Zealand: 15 Ben Smith, 14 Waisake Naholo, 13 Jack Goodhue, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Rieko Ioane, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read (captain), 7 Sam Cane, 6 Shannon Frizell, 5 Scott Barrett, 4 Sam Whitelock, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Codie Taylor, 1 Karl Tu'inukuafe

Substitutes: 16 Nathan Harris, 17 Tim Perry, 18 Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 19 Patrick Tuipulotu, 20 Ardie Savea, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Richie Mo'unga, 23 Ryan Crotty

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Oliver Madden

Oliver Madden Academy Player

what a game this promises to be. the All Blacks have to be the favourites but they were huge favourites in Wellington and look what happened there. AB's should win but i'm certainly not writing the Boks off here!!. Could be an absolute blockbuster.

4. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

will be interesting what team we see, has to be whatever shag considers our first XV

5. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Well, it's the first time in about 7 years that Loftus Versfeld will be sold out for a Bok game. Tickets were sold out 2 days after the win in NZ.

Gonna be a cracker!!

6. SomeOke

SomeOke First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

I fully expect NZ to win this one, BUT you never know, at altitude in a packed stadium and anything can happen. We're going to need all our players to bring their best unlike our last game against Aus and preferably for NZ to be not 100% in their game.

Frankly if we can get some points on the board, and lose by a narrowish margin, I'd still be pretty happy.

7. Bull

Bull Bench Player

Club or Nation:

Bulls

Was jy ooit al daar op Loftus? As dit vol is en dit rof is.

I reckon the AB's should win unless the Boks improve significantly again after last week, just don't think the AB's will be caught with their pants down again as in the previous encounter but who knows? A lot will depend on who Rassie picks especially the loose trio and possibly the front row too.

8. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Ja ek was, en toe verloor ons 16-52...

I think it depends on a few things:
    1. The All Blacks fatigue after travelling from NZ to Arg and from Arg to SA.
    2. Altitude
    3. Boks improvement after the Aus match
    4. General fitness of both teams

9. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

a position we find ourselves in after losing a game at home that should have well and truly put away, takes me back to the Lions tour and since 2015 i think we are our own worst enemy and the all blacks have been beating the all blacks.

some of the losses we've had mostly come from our own mistakes and forgetting the intesity required to win a test match - red cards, yellow cards and leaving 12-15 points each game out on the tee during losses is poor by any1s standard let alone the number 1 team in the world

personally im kinda concerned where the team is at and how we have played inconsistent percentage rugby over the last few years, i would like to see Hansen pull the squads head in and get some structure and control to the games and get the leadership mentally stable in pressure points - something we have handled really bad since the retirement of McCaw. i think a lot of this comes down to the right selections and deciding who the main guys are for the job

losing 2 of the trott to a rebuilding Bok team is bad news and will have teams frothing at the mouth for a chance to play us and have a go

anyway, i still back us to win this one but the Boks at home is still the hardest game for the all blacks in world rugby imo and it will be battle to win

10. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

All Black team has been announced and added to the OP

11. The_Blindside

The_Blindside International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

British Irish Lions

What time is SA announcing theirs?

Yeah interesting selection of Goodhue at 13. Return of the big guns, but otherwise team as it is.

12. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

I like Goodhue so am happy about that but can we honestly not field the same team more than once?

13. SomeOke

SomeOke First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Generally around 12pm GMT+2.

Very strong AB team I have to say! I like Naholo at 14, the only positions that for me aren't 100% are not including Crotty, and I'm not sure Frizell is the best ball carrying loosie NZ has.

14. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Rassie has been announcing his teams when they play in SA usually at 13:00 and I guess he'll do the same.

Pretty much the team I suspected they'd select. Goodhue was the one guy who came on during the away game who was especially dangerous against us.

15. All Black

All Black Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Depends on the opposition we play. We makes changes accordingly.

Just as I thought - the SBW and Goodhue combo will take place. Some posters have alluded to SBW taking the step back and allowing for Crotty, ALB and Goodhue to be the first choices and thats just not the case. I like our midfield.

16. SomeOke

SomeOke First XV

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

I do think Crotty is pretty vital to the AB cause, but giving someone who has the quality of SBW a chance to nab that number 12 jersey is not the worst idea in the world. He's better than Crotty in most attacking aspects but he falls short in terms of organisation and leadership (I consider Crotty to be the "backline" captain).

Goodhue is a great find and probably the best 13 in NZ can't imagine any player slotting into 13 who is better than him at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  17. All Black

All Black Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Yep, Crotty has that game management as you say, and thats mainly because Crottys always played union. When I think about those qualities of Crotty, it makes it tough to leave him out. He aint too bad an attacker.

SBW is actually there for his defence. He quietly goes about doing a lot of 'off the ball' stuff but we manage to keep opposition scores low when he's out there for us.

18. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

why isn't he starting Crotty and Goodhue - good chemistry there from the crusaders, a natural combination, selection issues like this are doing my head in Hansen

19. All Black

All Black Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Defensive purposes. Brings that international experience.

20. AmericanRugbyFan

AmericanRugbyFan Academy Player

Country Flag:

United States

Club or Nation:

United States

Did I miss something on Damon McKenzie?

21. TRF_heineken

TRF_heineken RIP #J9

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

South Africa

Yes. He's at home due to family bereavement.

Update: Both teams have now been announced and added to the OP

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!