[2018 Rugby Championship] Round 6: South Africa v New Zealand (06/10/2018)

Discussion in 'The Rugby Championship 2019' started by TRF_heineken, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Jack Reacher

Jack Reacher Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Agree, but SA came out with the right aggression and mindset but the final piece of the game plan went missing. They had ALL the ball so NZ would have been more than happy at half time - weirdly SA tries came from opportunistic plays almost against the run of play!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Jack Reacher

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Agree, but SA came out with the right aggression and mindset but the final piece of the game plan went missing. They had ALL the ball so NZ would have been more than happy at half time - weirdly SA tries came from opportunistic plays almost against the run of play!

4. Immenso

Immenso Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

There is.no Hong Kong game.

Both the Aus test and Japan test are in Japan, if that makes much difference.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jack Reacher

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Do any other NZ supporters read the tripe that is Player Ratings on the NZ news sites? I don't know why I do as it does nothing but wind me up! The writers manage to give 'assessments' of all 23 players within 30 minutes of the game. How can they possibly watch everything first time around?

• Like Like x 3
  6. All Black

All Black Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

And that's a great point and something I did mention earlier. Marx just goes through a lot of work and squatting down and then using all those muscles to pull the ball back outta there, it takes a lot of energy.

• Like Like x 2
  7. The_Blindside

The_Blindside International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

British Irish Lions

Yes, I think that’s what Mallet was saying that the ABs were cleaning past the ball at the point of contact at the ruck then taking out the Springbok player, who was in the breakdown at the same time; and the support player was immediately picking the ball to go around the corner. So it was very difficult to call obstruction.
    Whereas the Boks were just cleaning out over the ball and not taking out AB players.

Unless you’re saying ABs were clearing out illegally.;)

Video of Mallet’s point from around 5mins and 25secs in below video.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

cheers, i just guessed it was there because in the past we've played Aus there a few times

does make a bit of difference, any less travel is good for the boys

just another note, how much we missed Brodie and value his qualities was on full display in the two Bok tests, he's probably the best lock ever

• Like Like x 2
  9. All Black

All Black Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Quite a few of our top guns returning from injury for the EOYT. The ones I can remember are Brodie and Dane Coles.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

good to have Colesy back, but boy Taylor has been immense, i think we should still start Taylor and ease Dane back in

• Like Like x 2
  11. All Black

All Black Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

I say Marx is the best hooker in the world right now but I could not argue with anyone that thinks these two are. Colesy scores tries that only Keith Wood probably could and Taylor has just been instrumental in a lot of our offence. Totally agree with you.

12. saulan

saulan Bench Player

Country Flag:

South Africa

Club or Nation:

Stormers

Was at the game. Was pretty gutted with how it all ended but it was a great game to watch live and the team played well in the loss. Good to see some good progression over the year.

One thing that caught my attention though for the wrong reasons though was the Same Cane injury. He was on the ground for a while and it clearly was a neck injury, but when they brought on the golf cart to take him off safely for a neck injury, the team doctor refused it and made it out that it was a concussion test injury in case he could come back on the field (granted, I am judging this from the actions I could see from the sideline, but he clearly refused the cart and made a motion of knocking his head with his hand). Sam Cane then walked off the field with a broken neck, because the team doctor was looking out for the team's best interests of potentially getting him back on the field rather than taking the injury seriously. Player safety should always be the main concern in these situations.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

surly they wont take someone who's signed overseas, they'll take someone like Dillon Hunt, had a great super season, already has a cap and only 23 so still someone to build for the future

• Like Like x 1
  14. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

i was pretty alarmed as well

when he walked off u could see there was a real problem with his neck

the doctor will be in big trouble i'd say

15. Steeler

Steeler Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Manawatu

i think Todd only signed up temporary and he's meant to be coming back

heard big noise he's gunna make the aussie test.

pesonally i'd take Todd over Hunt for experience, we will need leadership and a cool head vs Ireland and England.

16. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

Gardner was excellent. Pretty lenient for the ABs frankly. Early in first half the ABs conceded 5 on the trot when under pressure. A lot of other refs would have carded you.

Thought he was even handed and allowed the game to flow nicely.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

They do this all match, every match. I'm pretty sure they've taken a trademark out on it.

18. mania

mania First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Samoa

It’s what I teach my kids. Step past the ball and fight for it over the advantage line. Fighting over the top of the ball lessens the margin of error

Totally legit for the past few seasons I been coaching kids

• Like Like x 1
  19. mania

mania First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Samoa

Gardner was awesome. Kept lines of communication open and explained himself really well. As nigelOwens whispers to himself I felt Gardner “didn’t f@$k it up”

20. Immenso

Immenso Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Did they? According to these live comms they didn't (while South Africa did actually concede 5 in a row which included a slapped down attempted intercept), using only one eye is limiting.

Actually. If Gardner had penalised PSDT for his lazy running under the posts on the 29th minute the Boks could have conceded 5 in a row twice, both sequences including try killing offences.

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/live-springboks-v-all-blacks-20181006-4

Anyway, '5 in a row' is just paint by numbers bullshit. Fortunately for the match we had a decent ref.

21. All Black

All Black Bench Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Yeah he was good. No real complaints from me. The ones he missed was pretty hard to see from where he was. Nah hes all good.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!