• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

I'm a big fan of Sleightholme. He's not extravagant but he's very powerful, fast and direct...and he just knows how to score tries. I would absolutely have him in the squad...but I'm well aware there's alot of wingers at the moment who could be in ahead of him. Sleightholmes biggest problem as mentioned above is his injury record. It could well be the thing that gives his competitors the advantage.

I fully expect Roebuck to be in..and Freeman is in outstanding form. But I know he's been hugely impressive at 13. The extra weight and muscle they've added on him this season (ans the other saints players) is clearly making a huge difference.

Don't think he's as good as Carpenter or Hodge at 15 or as good as the likes of Sleightholme, Roebuck, Reed, etc. on the wing.

Could be a useful guy to have on the bench though covering centre, wing and fullback.
Stats say otherwise. I think Hodge is going to have to fight quite hard in training get the 15 back

Stats say otherwise. I think Hodge is going to have to fight quite hard in training get the 15 back
Chiefs love possession. They always prefer to run the ball rather than kicking it. That's why Wyatt's running metres and defenders beaten are so high; he runs from deep more than any other fullback in the league. Stats never tell the whole story.

Don't get me wrong, I like Wyatt, but he's behind Hodge and Carpenter by a reasonable margin IMO.

As for what happens when Hodge gets back, I'd be very surprised if 1st choice isn't 11. Wyatt 14. Feyi-Waboso 15. Hodge 23. Hammersley as it was at the start of the season. Baxter's good at rotating though so Hammersley will still get plenty of game time.

I'm a big fan of Sleightholme. He's not extravagant but he's very powerful, fast and direct...and he just knows how to score tries. I would absolutely have him in the squad...but I'm well aware there's alot of wingers at the moment who could be in ahead of him. Sleightholmes biggest problem as mentioned above is his injury record. It could well be the thing that gives his competitors the advantage.

I fully expect Roebuck to be in..and Freeman is in outstanding form. But I know he's been hugely impressive at 13. The extra weight and muscle they've added on him this season (ans the other saints players) is clearly making a huge difference.
How's Brown getting on at falcon's? He was Coventry's best player last season was gutted when he left.

Chiefs love possession. They always prefer to run the ball rather than kicking it. That's why Wyatt's running metres and defenders beaten are so high; he runs from deep more than any other fullback in the league. Stats never tell the whole story.

Don't get me wrong, I like Wyatt, but he's behind Hodge and Carpenter by a reasonable margin IMO.

As for what happens when Hodge gets back, I'd be very surprised if 1st choice isn't 11. Wyatt 14. Feyi-Waboso 15. Hodge 23. Hammersley as it was at the start of the season. Baxter's good at rotating though so Hammersley will still get plenty of game time.
Is that back three/23 the cheapest in the league? Absolute bargain for Chiefs especially given the players form this season. Hodge and Waboso both rapid and highly capable of an outside break with the added benefit of Waboso good at beating the first defender in contact. Hammersley looking good and learning fast.

Both have England potential in a couple of years realisticly, if they stay injury free/on form.

Is that back three/23 the cheapest in the league?
Gotta be - 2/3 still academy, one still on a deal they signed for a mid-season move and Wyatt I doubt will be on too much

Reed/Roebuck/Carpenter will be a pittance compared to some, too - Roebuck and Carpenter still on their first contracts and Reed was barely a squad player when signing his current deal, but then TOF on the bench will bring it up

Is that back three/23 the cheapest in the league? Absolute bargain for Chiefs especially given the players form this season. Hodge and Waboso both rapid and highly capable of an outside break with the added benefit of Waboso good at beating the first defender in contact. Hammersley looking good and learning fast.
Right now for sure. But that will change. We're gonna have to fork out some serious cash in the next couple of years resigning all of the academy lads.

All of Tuima, Pearson, Fisilau, Cairns, Wyatt, Feyi-Waboso, Hodge and Hammersley will have gone from academy/back-up guys to prem starters and internationals since they last signed contracts. Would have thought each will be wanting an increase of at least £100k from where they are now. Also not sure what kind of contracts Jenkins and Tshiunza are currently on but they'll both be wanting big increases too.

Good thing we're apparently £1.8 million under the cap.

England face going into their Six Nations opener against Italy in February with a rookie loosehead prop as Joe Marler, Ellis Genge and Bevan Rodd are injured while Mako Vunipola will have missed four weeks running up to the game through suspension. - The Times.

England face going into their Six Nations opener against Italy in February with a rookie loosehead prop as Joe Marler, Ellis Genge and Bevan Rodd are injured while Mako Vunipola will have missed four weeks running up to the game through suspension. - The Times.
If all of those really are out then I wouldn't be at all worried about Obano starting.

If all of those really are out then I wouldn't be at all worried about Obano starting.
With the exception of Marler he's a pretty big upgrade on the others,
Mako still being in the conversation is nuts

Genge being out does throw a spanner in the captaincy works - I was expecting him to be named (wouldn't be my choice, but was VC before and the journos "in the know" have been touting him)

How's Brown getting on at falcon's? He was Coventry's best player last season was gutted when he left.
In and out of the team...he's played well then dissappear. It's one thing is fans are criticising Codling for..he's mixing the team up too much..and dropping the players who play well.. or moving them to positions where they aren't playing so well. Or John Hawkins..plays great at 6...6'5 mobile , powerful player does the nitty gritty...but then moves him to lock in place of McDonald or Cardell who are playing great aswell.
It's a headscratcher at times.

In and out of the team...he's played well then dissappear. It's one thing is fans are criticising Codling for..he's mixing the team up too much..and dropping the players who play well.. or moving them to positions where they aren't playing so well. Or John Hawkins..plays great at 6...6'5 mobile , powerful player does the nitty gritty...but then moves him to lock in place of McDonald or Cardell who are playing great aswell.
It's a headscratcher at times.
Well if you don't want him anymore...

Latest posts