• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Do we know how the squads are actually working? As in is there going to be a separate England squad and England A squad or is it going to be a full 50-man EPS training together for the whole Six Nations period?

Do we know how the squads are actually working? As in is there going to be a separate England squad and England A squad or is it going to be a full 50-man EPS training together for the whole Six Nations period?
No, the only confirmed info (other than the three coaches above) is that Borthwick is picking the match day 23

I reckon it'll be like the summer A games where it's a mixture of some EPS players and some brought in solely for that one game

I don't think it makes sense to have the two completely separate if only because once you get down to your 5th? 6th? choice in some positions you don't really learn anything - especially with the number of injuries we have in some positions. Like who'd be on the bench at loosehead for the A game when we're already missing 4 looseheads from the EPS?
Would presumably be an u20s guy who'd be better off having an uninterrupted u20s 6N

Genge being out does throw a spanner in the captaincy works - I was expecting him to be named (wouldn't be my choice, but was VC before and the journos "in the know" have been touting him)

If he ever was truly in contention that moment has surely passed.

No great options but George as an interim looks the least bad to me. Taking a punt on Itoje might raise him to the next level….or not. Barnes was advocating Earl the other day.

With the exception of Marler he's a pretty big upgrade on the others,
Mako still being in the conversation is nuts

Genge being out does throw a spanner in the captaincy works - I was expecting him to be named (wouldn't be my choice, but was VC before and the journos "in the know" have been touting him)
Sounds more like it will be Jamie George.

He deserves it on merit and attitude, I just don't like the idea in general as it puts further reliance on him and would likely result in even less minutes given to Dan, if Curry wasn't injured he'd be my first pick without a doubt.

I just don't like the idea in general as it puts further reliance on him and would likely result in even less minutes given to Dan,
Yeah that's my only issue with it - I'd like a look at a third option as well, but if JG is captain he'll probably play 70 a game

Maybe name him and Itoje as co-captaind and chop and change (though I do still question whether Itoje wants to captain)

Is Captain the same importance as it was years ago? Does it actually matter who is Captain?

I actually think it's more important these days than in the past

Not from a galvanising/team speech kinda standpoint, every side has multiple players who will be big talkers/motivators etc.

But with how convoluted the rules have become having a good rapport with the referee and knowing how to get them on your side and the ability to draw their eye to things is massively important

Look at the relationship Farrell has had with referees over the years and how that's blown back on us because they've no interest in having a dialogue with him

Is Captain the same importance as it was years ago? Does it actually matter who is Captain?
I think when it comes to getting the ref on side and being able to point out opposition infringements, absolutely. Regardless of how impartial they try to be, a ref is still human and is going to be less inclined to listen to the concerns of someone they feel is constantly yapping and whinging in their ear than someone they feel has a bit more gravitas to them.

I think when it comes to getting the ref on side and being able to point out opposition infringements, absolutely. Regardless of how impartial they try to be, a ref is still human and is going to be less inclined to listen to the concerns of someone they feel is constantly yapping and whinging in their ear than someone they feel has a bit more gravitas to them.
Well I can agree with that aspect...but i mean in general of the team efc.

Is the Captain as important as in the past.

I'm not sure it is...

Well I can agree with that aspect...but i mean in general of the team efc.

Is the Captain as important as in the past.

I'm not sure it is...
Define in general of the team, if not having the ref pinging the team left right and centre and marching them back maybe not but ref comms/management has to be their single most important task (captaincy wise) other players can create the moments and help collectively galvanise the team with actions and or talk, at international level you'd expect the team to consist of elite athletes who need little to no inspiration or motivation.

On field's the obvious captaincy role and very important, but it's far more than that - setting the tempo during training, being an ear for the players especially the younger ones, being both the coach's bridge to the players and the prime point of challenge to them, then there's the media and sponsor commitments, not to mention being the social media lightning rod etc.

All the while keeping your own personal form.

It's a well rewarded but very tough gig. The lack of leadership around the team has been a big disappointment for years. Leadership matters.

'George Ford's hopes of being named England's first-choice fly half at the start of the Six Nations Championship are in the balance after he underwent two injections after a knee injury.'

Latest posts