• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

I would like to see M Smith, OL and Freeman, seems like a pretty reasonable balance, I am surprised and impressed by how quickly Freeman has picked up defending the 13 channel (although the international stage will be tougher). Actual 12s do need looking at but there are already a fair few forced changes and with no 12 completely outplaying another and age profiles probably worth delaying until either AIs or next six nations.

I would like to see M Smith, OL and Freeman, seems like a pretty reasonable balance, I am surprised and impressed by how quickly Freeman has picked up defending the 13 channel (although the international stage will be tougher). Actual 12s do need looking at but there are already a fair few forced changes and with no 12 completely outplaying another and age profiles probably worth delaying until either AIs or next six nations.
Lawrence looks like he has good hands as well, so would be able to play 12.
Agree great balance which also might mean more speed can be put in both back three and BR.

I'm definitely biased but I think Lawrence has dibs on the 13 position. Wouldn't mind seeing Freeman involved in some way though. Having said that, as per usual it's 12 where I really want to see development.
Yeah it's the lack of 12 that makes me want OL there, no issues with him being the primary 13 outside of that, Freeman also capable of covering other positions, I don't really want him to just be a bench option able to cover the positions, I would prefer him to be started somewhere and able to shuffle should injuries force it.

I'm definitely biased but I think Lawrence has dibs on the 13 position. Wouldn't mind seeing Freeman involved in some way though. Having said that, as per usual it's 12 where I really want to see development.
Yeah I've been liking Freeman at 13 but Lawrence is pretty clearly the front runner IMO.

So:
Thats
1 prop - Baxter
1 lock - Alex Coles v Isiekwe.....Ewells 🤔
3 back rows - Barbeary, Ben Curry, Mercer (Pepper / CCS probably too early)
1 SH - Spencer
1 FH/IC depending who replaces Faz - George Furbank! ( I await the grief 😜) - Maybe look at Ojomoh as a 12...if we have 3 10s (Marcus and FIn Smith and Ford)
1 OC - Joseph
2 WG/FH - Murley, Roebuck
Some interesting calls here …

I'd go with:

1 Prop: Obano

1 Lock: Coles should be a shoo-in if it's based upon form. Isiekwe has been injured and Tizard has gone backwards since moving to Saracens. Hopefully Ewels as a test player is consigned to history. I could see Borthwick liking Stooke though.

3 Back Rows: Let's assume Underhill for Willis is already decided. After that Ben Curry is no. 1 pick on form and would be my swap for his twin. Then it's one of Mercer or Barbeary or Dombrandt. I prefer Mercer followed by Dombrandt but I'm not averse to giving Barbeary a shot. I'd also take the opportunity to swap out Ludlam but the outstanding candidates (Evans and Pepper IMO) are uncapped.

1 SH - really should be Spencer

1 FH/IC - I'm inclined to go with Hartley. Of the available options, he and Ojomoh are the front runners. However, Hartley gives us something we don't have as a more heavyweight option. He's still growing but if he could play a similar role to Esterhuizen at Quins which could work well for Smith.

I don't hate the idea of Furbank though. I think he's a very good player. I'm just not sure he's what we need in the squad though.

3 10s - M. Smith, F. Smith, Ford … kind of picks itself really.

1 Centre - Joseph or Ojomoh

2 Wingers - Murley and Roebuck sounds good to me.

I like the way Finn is playing, but would need time in camp to become fully integrated into systems.

Give him that and you won't like the way he's playing much longer.

My issues with Cokanasiga aren't going forward so much. He's a poor defender and is very exposed when the opposition kick to him both in terms of fielding any high balls and positioning.

From the round 9 thread. I agree totally with this and now we've worked out he's not the new Lomu it's hard to see an international career on the wing for him.

I'm not of the we must try every big back at 12 school but I would genuinely be interested in seeing Coka try 12 (will never happen, Bath have got some good options). He's powerful, can make yards in heavy traffic, is fairly quick, can offload OK and would always be a useful decoy. The high ball wouldn't be an issue and the scope for being defensively exposed is less. Wouldn't be the most creative option but nor's Esterhuizen at Quins. Will never happen but I would be interested in seeing it.

From the round 9 thread. I agree totally with this and now we've worked out he's not the new Lomu it's hard to see an international career on the wing for him.

I'm not of the we must try every big back at 12 school but I would genuinely be interested in seeing Coka try 12 (will never happen, Bath have got some good options). He's powerful, can make yards in heavy traffic, is fairly quick, can offload OK and would always be a useful decoy. The high ball wouldn't be an issue and the scope for being defensively exposed is less. Wouldn't be the most creative option but nor's Esterhuizen at Quins. Will never happen but I would be interested in seeing it.
Unpopular opinion here, if you have previously been given opportunity but not grabbed it with both arms you don't deserve any future opportunities, form irrelevant.

So true about being in the England squad and playing style...

Although I think Esterhuizen has the kicking game to add another string to his bow.

I think with Manu's injury record, let him rest and focus on the premiership. He can always come back at short notice if needed.

So no one giving Slade a look in? He is back at his best and a sorely needed leader.

Also; I know this sounds like an uninformed opinion but I'd really like to see Radwan replacing the 'point of difference' place Arundell held.

So no one giving Slade a look in? He is back at his best and a sorely needed leader.

Also; I know this sounds like an uninformed opinion but I'd really like to see Radwan replacing the 'point of difference' place Arundell held.
Don't think it's uninformed...most have said Radwan is a game changer rhat you need in the squad.

I personally would prefer to move on from Slade now...never really played to the level we see in the prem for England consistently. I'd like to move away from Manu aswell...

Try and blood a younger generation of midfield who can take us forward.

Slade's a tough one as he's in a very competitive position - playing some of his best rugby atm so definitely in consideration, but also experienced enough that he's not gonna get brought in as a tackle bag holder and also not exactly a like for like replacement for Marchant (who SB liked, so can see him going for someone like Will Joseph who is as close as you'll get). I'd have him in for Daly, but doubt SB would go that way

Unless he's one of the additional three - be interesting to see how that's split. Maybe an additional prop (essentially an apprentice role, so someone like Baxter), additional Backrow (Mercer or Barbeary?) and additional centre (Slade? Dingwall?)

Slade's a tough one as he's in a very competitive position - playing some of his best rugby atm so definitely in consideration, but also experienced enough that he's not gonna get brought in as a tackle bag holder and also not exactly a like for like replacement for Marchant (who SB liked, so can see him going for someone like Will Joseph who is as close as you'll get). I'd have him in for Daly, but doubt SB would go that way

Unless he's one of the additional three - be interesting to see how that's split. Maybe an additional prop (essentially an apprentice role, so someone like Baxter), additional Backrow (Mercer or Barbeary?) and additional centre (Slade? Dingwall?)
Agree with Joseph, maybe Slade would do the FB role, I know EJ flirted with it and SB has tried MS there, but think Slade would do a better job in the short term before someone like Greene or Carpenter are ready.

think Slade would do a better job in the short term before someone like Greene or Carpenter are ready.
Would he, though? He's started there once in his career, while he's obviously an experienced player who reads the game well etc. it's still a big shift,
I wouldn't put him there ahead of any realistic 15 option, even Daly
He should be 13 or nothing, really

Who's Green? Surely not Tyrone?

Lawrence has that potential to be a WC player and really should be out first choice 13. I get Slade and freeman are playing well but freemen should have the 11 shirt and Slade maybe in the squad but maybe don't even need him due to the other players playing well.

Latest posts