• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

I mean is the system that bad now in terms of player development?
Academies producing a lot of talented players I feel
More clubs are partnering with Universities and we are seeing a lot more players get signed from uni's now.

I mean is the system that bad now in terms of player development?
Academies producing a lot of talented players I feel
More clubs are partnering with Universities and we are seeing a lot more players get signed from uni's now.
Well judging by the u20s we've either got worse or we've stayed the same and others are improving more. Personally it's a bit of both.

Well judging by the u20s we've either got worse or we've stayed the same and others are improving more. Personally it's a bit of both.

I don't think it's a case of gotten worse tbh France have massively improved.

I think more top u20's are kept by by clubs during the 6N's and training periods compared to then though

But I feel england are producing just as many international ready players outside the front row (who take longer to develop)

Yeah read in the Times today that the existing Championship clubs were ****** off that they'd have to apply for membership.

Anyone would want a couple of vibrant, professional leagues, of course they would. But the whole thing feels like it would be built on sand. We've struggled to even maintain a top league, and the RFU are banging on about the tier 2 clubs needing to be ambitious to get in the Prem - expect more over reaching failures.

Prem attendances are OK for some but not great across the board. Championship attendances are woeful - 5 averaged below 1,000 in the last data I could find, and none above 3,000. You can always do better but rugby is, and always will be, a minority sport and will have to work harder to stand still with diminishing player numbers, more competition for the leisure £ and the concussion issue.

It would be a mistake to think the French model would translate over here. Rugby is much more engrained in the culture over there.

Of more relevance to this thread, clearly a good thing getting more joined up in the interests of the national team.

The lack of communication between the RFU, PRL and championship is crazy.

The Championship sides do need to be aware that even with some investment a decent chunk of those clubs would not be doing well, and that any future second league needs to based on viable clubs. (Granted the brand idea crap is stupid)

I don't agree with the idea of franchises and buying into the league.

I have a feel this will end with some welsh clubs joining

Ben Youngs on England's scrum-halves of the future

Raffi Quirke

He just needs a run of games. Raffi came into that autumn squad and scored that cracker against South Africa, but just has not been able to get a string of games together since. I think if he can string some games together, and get rid of the voodoo of injuries, then he will progress really fast. Raffi is different from the others as well, he's a bit more physical and abrasive.

Alex Mitchell

He is a sniping nine, but he showed in the World Cup that he can control a game and do all that. Alex is lively.

Jack van Poortvliet

He is coming back from injury and he has got a great kicking game, controls it nicely and is a running threat as well.

Ben Spencer

Perhaps the forgotten man, who is now in fine form. I think he can play a brilliant game. Ben has a fantastic tactical kicking game and can make things happen, too.

Harry Randall

Harry is a real livewire, a brilliant passer and offers another very different skillset to the other options. Don't forget Danny Care is still there as well!

To be fair, the question may have been about 9s he's been in the England squad with.

I'm a fan of Warr and arguably he's a better fit for the way Borthwick's England team has played so far than Mitchell and Randall.

To be fair, the question may have been about 9s he's been in the England squad with.

I'm a fan of Warr and arguably he's a better fit for the way Borthwick's England team has played so far than Mitchell and Randall.
Yeah the fact he added, "Don't forget Danny Care is still there as well!" says to me he's pretty clearly been asked about a selection of 9s by the interviewer, rather than talking about the 9s that he personally thinks are in contention.

Not Youngs' fault that the interviewer has probably never heard of Warr.

Plus, his only exposure to Warr would have been any games they've played against each other. That's not going to have been many minutes, let alone games.

Does anyone think its a shame that Solomone Kata is now at Tigers because it means Dan Kelly has been pushed to outside centre? Inside centre is really the position England need to fill and Kelly could have been a candidate.

Does anyone think its a shame that Solomone Kata is now at Tigers because it means Dan Kelly has been pushed to outside centre? Inside centre is really the position England need to fill and Kelly could have been a candidate.

I think Kelly being pushed out also has a lot to do with Scott and Porter being injured.

IDK he didn't start this season very well, I feel the England camp knocked confidence out of him and Porter

If Kelly can't earn a start over tongas wing then he probably needs a little more time to develop.

That being said, maybe they bought Kata in because they assumed Kelly would be with England as their 12. It will only do him some good competing with kata but only if it drives him to improve.

Theres 4 potentially fighting for that 12 spot over the next year or so...5 if we include Manu which I hope we dont.

Seb Atkinson
Max Ojomoh
Dan Kelly
Olly Hartley

All different styles and strengths....and should be with Lawrence at 13 and Marcus Smith at 10...
So who best fits...

Atkinson and Kelly probably played themselves out of contention this season

Manu, Lawrence are nailed on
One of Ojomoh/Hartley in the squad with the other in the A game (I think Ojomoh probably ahead of Hartley atm)

Latest posts