• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: All Blacks - Wallabies @ Eden Park (06-08-2011, 08:35 GMT)

Am I the only one who thinks the ABs game really dropped off when Ellis came on for Weepu?

I agree, see my post above yours.

Elis has a very slow delivery and often takes a long time to decide on what to do. Often see him stand up and pause before passing.

In my view when quick ball is won he is wasting that extra time and space created.

I dont rate him for the AB's, he needs to fix that aspect of his game. He does fine with a dominant Crusaders pack ahead of him against teams constantly going backwards but he's never really done well for the AB's or against Aussie & Boks in particular.

I would rather he was replaced as #3 and if that doesn't happen I just hope like hell Cowan and Weepu stay fit.

Good try.

Always get frustrated when watching southern hemisphere rugby - always seem as though most of the rules are entirely optional (i.e. offside, forward pass, entry into the ruck)

... The rules are "optional" for teams aren't they - you can choose to play within them, or choose to push the boundaries ... I dont have a problem with any team pushing the boundaries, just so long as they dont moan about getting caught/the punishment.

... I guess i'm more concerned with the amount of infringements not picked up, so my beef is with the officials, not the players

my bad cooky i thought Guilford was in that Hong Kong team? either way look at all 4 stats and tell me who deserves starting wing status?

Hopefully they'll pick the best ones to match the oppostion they are playing - I see jane as perhaps the best under the high ball and counter attacking from the high kicks, and is probably better suited to playing against a team like South Africa, perhaps Gear(being a more physical player) would be better against South Africa too.

The selectors will certainly pick the players with the highest work rate, after giving all of the contenders their opportunity ... Gear will need to up his work rate in South Africa.

Am I the only one who thinks the ABs game really dropped off when Ellis came on for Weepu?

I think the AB's dropped off in the second half before Weepu was replaced ... I saw Weppu get caught in a counter ruck after taking time to lok around too

... I think they both played pretty well though.

General Comment - the game was pretty much what I expected, a home win to the AB's, I didn't expect a perfect performance from either team, as they want to peak for the World Cup. I wouldn't have expected either side to "show all of their cards" in attack either, they'll both be keeping a few cards up their sleeve for the World Cup I expect

Last edited:

The AB's did drop off in the latter part of the second half, but I don't think it had much to do with Ellis specifically. I actually thought Ellis looked quite good when he came on; this surprised me slightly as he has always seemed to struggle at test level. Maybe it was simply a case of him playing better than my (low) expectations of him, hence I thought he had a reasonable game!

Overall I'm sure the AB's will be pretty happy with the result. Australia actually held there own at scrum time, and was the AB's scrum (Wyatt Crockett in particular) that was getting penalised. It sounds like Tony Woodcock will be heading to South Africa with AB's. It will be interesting to see whether the AB's selectors think that Wyatt Crockett has done enough to force his way into the RWC squad - personally I don't think they will pick him.

I thought Owen Franks was probably the pick of the forwards - his powerful defence, and big linebreak were definitely highlights. Both locks were pretty quiet; in the case of Ali Williams that was a good thing, as it meant he wasn't dropping the ball! I really happy with the performance of the loose-trio. Kaino looked back to his best, combining powerful running with solid defense, Read was everywhere, while McCaw again showed he is getting back near his best. McCaw certainly wasn't as prominent with the ball in hand as against South Africa, but he defended brilliantly, and he was effective at the breakdown.

Weepu looked quite good; he made a number of little breaks, and tends to read the game well. I did get a bit frustrated with the way he slowed the game down at times when we were on attack, though that may a specific tactic they are using against Australia. Carter was brilliant - it is great to have a 10 who can not only run the attack and kick his goals, but also tackles as well as the best of them. Nonu was pretty good, and I thought Smith too was outstanding, particularly on defense. The outside backs were pretty mixed; Sivivatu was probably the pick of them. Gear did well with the ball he had, and his work under the high ball and covering in behind was very good. His defense (or lack there-of) is a worry for me though. Stats suggest he didn't make a single tackle, but did miss 3. As I mentioned, not playing for over a month due to injured certainly wouldn't have helped, but I'm sure he will want a big game against South Africa. Muliaina was very quiet (after a strong game last week).

For Australia, the tight-five did a pretty good job, with Horwill and Moore in particular getting the ball in their hands a lot. Pocock was him usual self, and Elsom was improved again, but I'm not yet convinced. He actually forced a couple of turn-overs at the breakdown, and looked dangerous running out wide, but his defense is a bit of a worry though, as he did fall off a number of tackles you would expect a loose-forward to make. McCalman was again very quiet- surely they are going to have to start Higginbotham at 8 in their next game, as he was impressive again off the bench.

Genia was solid, but Cooper struggled under pressure (as he can at times). I actually thought Pat McCabe played alright - he was rock-solid in defense, and generally always made the advantage line with ball in hand (without making any breaks). It will be interesting to see whether they persist with him, or give Faingaa a chance at 12 vs South Africa. Both wings were dangerous with the ball in hand; it will be interesting to see what Deans does if Drew Mitchell gets back to full fitness. I thought Ioane did a really good job defending at first-five too. Beale was solid, but I wonder how badly the knee injury he has is affecting his play, as he just hasn't looked as dangerous these last few weeks as he did during the Super Rugby season.

Gear was pretty bad on defence, at one stage I saw Digby run towards Gear, skip left dart anead and skip right. and All of a sudden he went from having gear directly ahead of him to having Gear directly behind him. It was very very sad to watch.

Carter on the other hand was superb on defence, he surely saved at least one try. If anything he looked frustrated at times with some all blacks around him, often see him getting up scowling and shouting at players around him when he's made a tackle someone else should have got.

That's where the stats become interesting...

I know nonu has been brilliant on attack but his stats on defence in that game were below average. Haka.com has only credited him with 4 tackles no assists and Carter with 12 and 3 assists. Also interesting to note that Sonny Bill overtook Nonu as far as tackle count goes even though he was only on the park for 10min or so.

Also remembering that John Smit try last week, carter went forward and attacked Smit and Nonu went back and was in no mans land. If he had gone forward with Carter to tackle smit that try wouldn't have been scored. I dont think sonny bill would have stood back and let smit score like Nonu did.

To me the tackle count does suggest that carter was having to mop up after nonu.

All I'm gonna say is **** off Cooper you peice of ****. You would be no where near the Black jersey if you had stayed in NZ. So arrogant and can't back it up in the test arena. My heart sang with joy watching him fumble and bumble around

In the after match interview, Ted said he replaced Weepu because he was "spent".

All I'm gonna say is **** off Cooper you peice of ****. You would be no where near the Black jersey if you had stayed in NZ. So arrogant and can't back it up in the test arena. My heart sang with joy watching him fumble and bumble around

Yup.

The twinkle-toes fancy footwork is only going to work for so long before opponents figure out how to simply mow you down.

Stupid, off-the-cuff, no look passes will get you into trouble at this level, where time is shorter and space is reduced. Conrad Smith would have scored that 4th try if it had been any other player than Justin Beiber cleaning up Cooper's mess.

Last edited:
In the after match interview, Ted said he replaced Weepu because he was "spent".

Weepu looked really unfit but that is to be expected from someone who has spent nearly 10 months off with a broken leg.

thanks Sam Owen and Cookie. Being from Melbourne, we usually get nothing. at least with the rebels we get something in the paper, usually a bees dick sized article amongst the 6 pages of AFL.

i also think quade's confidence/arrogance grew playing super rugby. he was a bit more conservative last year, and now seems to rely on fancy schmancy stuff a lot more.

[QUOTESam Owen I just wanted to ask who was saying stuff about the all blacks being too old? i didn't hear anything over here, we only heard how steve hansen reckons we don't respect the all blacks... these are not the view of all Australians.[/QUOTE]

Mate watch last weeks Rugby Club(on Fox) and various newspapers there abouts and you will see constant reference to the ageing AB's. The press never let up about it

Weepu looked really unfit but that is to be expected from someone who has spent nearly 10 months off with a broken leg.

Have to agree and got exposed in Ioane try when he tried to cover but had nothing.

Have to agree and got exposed in Ioane try when he tried to cover but had nothing.

have another look at that try and you will see that an aussie on the ground grabbed Weep's foot and held him back just before that movement. It would have taken a good ref to see it but it should have been a penalty to the AB's rather than a try to Aussie.

Mate watch last weeks Rugby Club(on Fox) and various newspapers there abouts and you will see constant reference to the ageing AB's. The press never let up about it

must have missed it altogether, i watch the rugby club every week, but admittedly sometimes even I switch off when they're talking :)

Good pickup Larksea, yeah now u mention it I did see that.

InsaneAsylum the show does get monotonous with the panel chat amongst themselves.

Is that the one with Rod Kafer? hes really good when he gets technical

Kafer is decent and knows all the players including opposition very well. He comes across as the most objective.

agreed, "kafe's breakdown" is my favourite part of the show, i'm sure this weeks will be interesting!! a lot of my kiwi mates hate the fox sports commentary as they believe it to be biased, to some extent I agree with them, but I honestly think they take the **** a lot to add entertainment factor, like when kearnsy says stuff about hookers out sprinting opposition wingers etc.

Weeeeeeeee got destroyed haha, not looking good for the Kiwi's world cup effort :)

Cooper was the flaw in this game, the forwards played well and the wingers were amazing. I think they can improve, but Higginbotham has to start, no question about it. AB were amazing and if they play like this they will win the RWC.

Weeeeeeeee got destroyed haha, not looking good for the Kiwi's world cup effort :)

:lol: ... Yes, it's not looking good for the All Blacks because they win before the world cup, and then fail during the world cup

... as opposed to it not looking good for the All Blacks if the Wallabies had won, and they would have been too old/on the decline :D

Thought the Aussie pack looked out of place. Completely outplayed from 1 to 8 (honourable mention to Moore).

The AB's didnt have to do very much really, barely got out of third gear.

Latest posts