• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: Springboks - Wallabies @ Kings Park, Durban (13-08-2011, 16:00 GMT)

big ginger 8

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
Tri Nations: South Africa vs Australia

Tri%20Nations%20SA.png

Kings Park, Durban (13-08-2011, 16:00 GMT)
South%20Africa.png
Versus%20Super.png
Australia.png

[/B]Should be closer this time with some of S.A.'s bigger players called back. Brussow vs Pocock will be very interesting

Should be a really interesting match. It sounds like Australia will name a similar side again, though Rob Simmons is apparently in doubt with a shoulder injury (with Nathan Sharpe the most likely replacement), and Higginbotham looking like he will get his first test start at the expense of McCalman.

Despite being away from home and having the travel factor against them, I'm picking Australia to win. The main reason for this is that most of the South African players haven't played for over a month, and they haven't played together as a team yet this year (while Australia has been together for weeks). I expect South Africa to be very rusty, and this 'rustiness' on defense can cost you a lot of points vs the Wallabies. Interestingly I see that South Africa are favourites on the NZ TAB; I will wait until the teams are announced before I decide how much money I want to bet on Australia...

im gonna give aussie the win but because of how much they talked up their "greater" talents before playing us, I hope the South Africans put a real large sock in all the aussies mouths

I don't think communication or a lack of understanding/time together will be the problem for SA but the fact that many players havn't had any gametime (some even only a few games in a year and a half!) might; Steenkamp, Du Preez, Brussow and the overseas guys in James and Steyn are a bit of a question mark at this stage as well. If we can weather the storm in the first 20 I'm sure we can pull it through.

Probable SA line-up

1)Steenkamp, 2)Du Plessis, 3)Du Plessis, 4)Botha, 5)Matfield, 6)Brussow, 7)Deysel, 8)Rossouw, 9)Du Preez, 10)James, 11)Habana, 12)De Villiers, 13)Fourie, 14)Pietersen, 15)Steyn

16)Mtawarira, 17)Smit, 18)Van der Merwe, 19)?, 20)Pienaar/Hougaard, 21)Steyn, 22)Aplon/De Jongh

Brussow v Pocock will be amazing. The two of the three best fetchers in the world right now. It'll be interesting.

I added the vBookie and hope you guys have a blast, betting on this!

Hoping to see an even match or at least close to even. The Wallabies may play cautious this time while the boks will be all in with nothing to lose.

Hoping to see an even match or at least close to even. The Wallabies may play cautious this time while the boks will be all in with nothing to lose.

Really? I thought it'd be the other way around seeing as 1) the Wallabies already beat us this year 2)we are at home and 3) our 1st choice team needs to make a statement.

Brussouw had a good 30-odd minutes the past weekend for the cheetahs... he was instrumental in his team's victory over the WP.

all the guys that were "out" might not have game time recently, but they will be in good shape, believe me. i saw that Kankowski and Johnson was released to play currie cup for the weekend, so all indications are there that Spies and Danie Rossouw will be in the match-22.

also the older guns has shown in the past that by not playing the previous week they didn't lose much tempo and comes out guns a-blazing...

How many years has Francois Steyn now played overseas? i'm sure this happened before and he always has a good game in a bok jersey.

i'm very curious about the bok team, hoping to see fourie du preez start with francois hougaard on the bench. Go Bokke!!

Wallabies: Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Pat McCabe, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Scott Higginbotham, David Pocock, Rocky Elsom (capt), James Horwill, Nathan Sharpe, Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Sekope Kepu. Reserves: Saia Faingaa, Salesi Ma'afu, Sitaleki Timani, Radike Samo, Ben McCalman, Luke Burgess, Anthony Faingaa.

Two changes as predicted: Higginbotham for McCalman, and Sharpe for the injured Simmons. I'm not convinced about the make-up of the loose-forward trio as both Elsom and Higginbotham play a very similar game (though Higginbotham is certainly playing it a lot better than Elsom at the moment). They both like to run out wide, but I'm not convinced either does enough work in the tight, or at the breakdown.

Interesting to see Australia has gone back to a 5/2 split on the bench - I'm not sure the reason for this as Samo and McCalman both cover multiple positions. I feel they would be better off with a traditional 4/3 split, or at least put a backup openside flanker on the bench (I suppose it would have to be Hodgson, as I don't think Robinson is on tour?).

Brussouw had a good 30-odd minutes the past weekend for the cheetahs... he was instrumental in his team's victory over the WP.

all the guys that were "out" might not have game time recently, but they will be in good shape, believe me. i saw that Kankowski and Johnson was released to play currie cup for the weekend, so all indications are there that Spies and Danie Rossouw will be in the match-22.

also the older guns has shown in the past that by not playing the previous week they didn't lose much tempo and comes out guns a-blazing...

How many years has Francois Steyn now played overseas? i'm sure this happened before and he always has a good game in a bok jersey.

i'm very curious about the bok team, hoping to see fourie du preez start with francois hougaard on the bench. Go Bokke!!

Except the last 2 which were horrible. He needs to work on his speed and positioning; fielding kicks and on defese as well as joining the line effectively. Up until that point he won't be what we need. Although those 60m+ penalties come in handy. Still, him having played overseas for 2 years (out of position if we accept he is seen as a fullback for SA) means he is a big question mark. Who knows, maybe he has a great game at the back for us.

the way i see it, Butch must play fly-half, rip off quade's head and make our worries at the world cup a little less... with steyn at the back Cooper and Genia's tactical kicking will have to be spot on coz the pressure from the forwards, a better scrumhalf and butch at fly-half will be immense! if they don't get their kicks right, then Steyn will just punish them with his cannon-boot!

I'm backing our old boys to come good. Might take 20 or 30 minutes to get into it, but I think we can beat the Australians. The main reason though, is because we have to. If we don't, then any confidence we have going into the WC will be gone. The next 2 games are must-wins for us, and I reckon we will win both home games.

Springbok Team announced:

15 Frans Steyn
14 JP Pietersen
13 Jaque Fourie
12 Jean de Villiers
11 Bryan Habana
10 Butch James

9 Fourie du Preez

8 Pierre Spies
7 Danie Rossouw
6 Heinrich Brüssow
5 Victor Matfield
4 Bakkies Botha
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 John Smit (c)
1 Beast Mtawarira

Subs:

16 Bismarck du Plessis
17 Gurthro Steenkamp
18 Gerhard Mostert
19 Jean Deysel
20 Francois Hougaard
21 Morne Steyn
22 Gio Aplon

If this team fires, and finds their form, I think both NZ and Aus will be in trouble. Here's to hoping that Dad's Army has 4 or 5 big games left in them...

I'd have prefered Deysel and Bismarck starting.. Steenkamp as well but I guess they're easing him back due to his injuries. Last 20 minutes with these boys on and fresh should be golden. Also, Hougaard/Aplon > Habana.

Here's 2nding the hope that this team has another 4/5 big games in the tank.

I'm not convinced about the make-up of the loose-forward trio as both Elsom and Higginbotham play a very similar game (though Higginbotham is certainly playing it a lot better than Elsom at the moment). They both like to run out wide, but I'm not convinced either does enough work in the tight, or at the breakdown.

Watch the N.Z. game again Elsom was in a lot of rucks and Higginbotham is way flashier.

the way i see it, Butch must play fly-half, rip off quade's head and make our worries at the world cup a little less... with steyn at the back Cooper and Genia's tactical kicking will have to be spot on coz the pressure from the forwards, a better scrumhalf and butch at fly-half will be immense! if they don't get their kicks right, then Steyn will just punish them with his cannon-boot!

Think you mean the other way round Steyn will just boot it to probably the most dangerous back three in international rugby.

And miss Steyn has the range with drop goals but not always the accuracy and usually just bombs it instead of kicking for touch.

Latest posts