• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: Springboks - Wallabies @ Kings Park, Durban (13-08-2011, 16:00 GMT)

I mean he didn't play poorly but I in particular had high expectations going into this game. The scrum looked a lot more solid when Samo came on, Higgers detaches too early and didn't have the same impact that he usually does with ball in hand.

Missed the game live, but just watched it on MySky, and there goes 80 minutes of my life I would like back.

Poor skills and inept execution in a boring match. I don't think I have see that many fumbles, bumbles and knock-ons in one game before. (oh yes, sorry I forgot, I have seen that many... watching the U7's down at Broads Playing Fields last Saturday morning).

The weather is no excuse either. These are professional rugby players using the best technology in rugby balls. They ought to be able to do better than that.

Speaking of 80 minutes of my life I never get back... Wales-England was horrible!

I wouldn't advise the Wales/England match then, this one was a classic compared to that :lol:

Yes... well I nodded off watching the highlights.
28.gif

check my post before the game:
My prediction: Fourie du Preez to cost the Springboks the game, and here's why:

When du preez is at his best, he is the second best scrumhalf in the world (can't get better then Genia ATM). He is obviously immensely talented and possesses freaky skills. however, he was the Bulls' single biggest liability in the Super 15 this season. This is because he rapes his team of any attacking opportunities by box-kicking the majority of quality break-down ball right down the throat of the opposition fullback. I beg anyone who disagrees with me to go back and watch every Super 15 game that du Preez played in, and watch what happened as a result of his "genius" box-kicks.

By box-kicking, you are hoping that you get lucky by the opponent fullback dropping the ball. Is it just me or does it seem irresponsible to work your game plan around hoping for luck? On current form, Kurtley Beale is probably the best counter-attacker in world rugby, although O'Connor is breathing down his neck.With Beale playing fullback and guys like Ioane and O'Connor around him, du Preez's box-kicks will be met with the utmost ferocious of counter-attacks, that will result in loss of possession for the Springboks and easy tries for the Wallabies. You won't find me dead supporting the Springboks, but I hope for South African's sakes that du Preez plays the running game he did in 2007 when he was instrumental in the Boks' World Cup win. If he sticks to the box-kick, South Africa can kiss this game and all the rest goodbye.

Only try of the game came from a du Preez up and under. du Preez gave Australia that try.​

Hey we've gone from horrible to merely bad, small steps ;)

On a happier note, BdP was awesome and surprisingly Spies too. Brussouw as well, I think if we can get out backline clicking perhaps a FdP/Lambie combination? What do you guys think, after this game, who should our first choice flyhalf be? and scrumhalf?

who should our first choice flyhalf be? and scrumhalf?
I think Butch did alryt,clearly lived up to the hype about his defence! I think our problem lies on the centres particularly JDV,75% he wanted to run str8 into contact and thus the ball couldn't get to the wings...That said I'd have the same half-back combo and start Lambie at fullback or on the bench at least.

Besides BdP and Spies, I thought J. Fourie and Brüssow were very good. Brüssow is really a very good fetcher.

For Australia, Moore and Horwill were the standous again imo.

interesting game. very close, much closer than I thought. I thought either Aussie would be too classy in the backs or boks would dominate the forwards and kick penalties to win easy but it was a real arm wrestle most of the match with Aussie just getting ahead at the end.

The no try to Fourie was an interesting call. To me the ball hit coopers hands then brushed fourie's arm before hitting coopers head. So for it to be a no try it would have had to have been judged that it went forward from the impact on fouries arm. Very tough call, honestly I think it could have been called either way and yes maybe the fact the TMO was from SA went against the boks. But at the same time if it's a 50/50 call then in rugby the defending team seems to get the advantage.

I didn't think the refing was too bad though I thought the Aussies were robbed at the end of the first hald when a scrum was called with time. Thought the game could have carried on, Aussie should have been given more of a chance to get the ball out of the ruck.

Though I think that's what happened... I dont think my attention was on the game all the time! heh

End result means that the Tri nations will be decided from the last game between AUS and NZ. Though if NZ win this weekend it will mean that Aussie will have to do more than just win, they will need to win big.

Congrats to the wallabies on a big achievement in winning in SA. Boks may have been too smart in resting players who look well short of a cohesive unit. Will do the Wallabies confidence wonders. Elsom looked strong in his own way wh

So for it to be a no try it would have had to have been judged that it went forward from the impact on fouries arm.

It appeared to me that is what happened, forward (marginally) if Fourie's arm onto Cooper's head, so knocj on is the correct call. Unlucky though

I thought the Aussies were robbed at the end of the first half when a scrum was called with time. Thought the game could have carried on.

If the referee considered the ball unplayable, then they will blow it up straight away.

When time is up:

1. Unplayable at ruck/maul/tackle... half-time or no side.
2. Scrum infringement occurs... half-time or no side.
3. Penalty or Free Kick infringement occurs and the ball is kicked out or dead... half-time or no side.

4. Awarded scrum has to be reset... play continues.
5. Penalty or Free Kick infringement occurs and team takes a scrum option... play continues.

Not a try also for me.

I think JF touched the ball forward with his wrist, SA tv speakers said that too.

it was a clear try....

Quade caught the ball, Fourie's hands wrapped around Quade's hands and smacked it together and the ball popped out, Fourie didn't touch the ball.maybe he did but you coudn't tell.

not saying it because im South African....

My team to face the All Blacks:

1. Tendai Mtawarira - just needs to improve in the scrum
2. Bismark du Plessis - was really good when he came off the bench.
3. Jannie du Plessis - does everything required by a Prop.
4. Bakkies Botha - had a really good game.
5. Victor Matfield - really good at the line-outs.
6. Heinrich Brussow - not bad for someone who didn't play for almost one year and come back and play at international level.
7. Willem Alberts - best SA ball-carrier atm.
8. Pierre Spies - looked like he found some form.
9. Fourie du Preez - needs to play more rugby to get the rustiness out but played okay, also needs to use the box-kick with effect not just box-kicking all the time.
10. Butch James - played good, just needs alot of improvement in his kicking game.
11. Bryan Habana - was good, always looked for work.
12. Francois Steyn - too big too play fullback now, will give Nonu a good run in the mid-field.
13. Jaque Fourie - didn't really play well, too much knock-ons. but im sure he will improve against the All Blacks.
14. JP Pietersen - had a good all-round game.
15. Patrick Lambie - great tackler, can slot in at 10 and 12. position's himself well.

Jean and Aplon will be in the reserves.

Aplon - had a disappointing game.
Jean - had a solid game. if you play inside centre than you'll know why he didn't pass most of the time.

it was a clear try....

Quade caught the ball, Fourie's hands wrapped around Quade's hands and smacked it together and the ball popped out, Fourie didn't touch the ball.maybe he did but you coudn't tell.

not saying it because im South African....

I'm from NZ, and had money on SA for 1-12 points.

And that was not a try - clearly knocked onto Cooper's head by Fourie. Correct call was made by the ref

You would have been hard pressed to call that a try. Close but no cigar.

You would have been hard pressed to call that a try. Close but no cigar.

The scenario for the Boks is they have Burger and Juan Smit coming back - which would realy make that pack formidable but again.....lack of game time may hinder and fitness fell off markedly in the second half . In the backs, not much left on the shelf - Lambie maybe ..... but at test level ?

The Wallabies have Polota-Nau, maybe Wycliffe Palu, Benn Robinson, Rob Horne, Drew Mitchell and Matt Giteau to name a few. For once the Australian's have a bit of depth advantage over the Boks. Howver they are unlikely to meet again this year by the RWC draw. Samoa and England are the teams the Wallabies have to focus on - neither will be easy which is probably a good thing asEngland showed in 2007 - the harder the road to the final the more you build form.

My team to face the All Blacks:

1. Tendai Mtawarira - just needs to improve in the scrum
2. Bismark du Plessis - was really good when he came off the bench.
3. Jannie du Plessis - does everything required by a Prop.
4. Bakkies Botha - had a really good game.
5. Victor Matfield - really good at the line-outs.
6. Heinrich Brussow - not bad for someone who didn't play for almost one year and come back and play at international level.
7. Willem Alberts - best SA ball-carrier atm.
8. Pierre Spies - looked like he found some form.
9. Fourie du Preez - needs to play more rugby to get the rustiness out but played okay, also needs to use the box-kick with effect not just box-kicking all the time.
10. Butch James - played good, just needs alot of improvement in his kicking game.
11. Bryan Habana - was good, always looked for work.
12. Francois Steyn - too big too play fullback now, will give Nonu a good run in the mid-field.
13. Jaque Fourie - didn't really play well, too much knock-ons. but im sure he will improve against the All Blacks.
14. JP Pietersen - had a good all-round game.
15. Patrick Lambie - great tackler, can slot in at 10 and 12. position's himself well.

Jean and Aplon will be in the reserves.

Aplon - had a disappointing game.
Jean - had a solid game. if you play inside centre than you'll know why he didn't pass most of the time.

I think that's going to be pretty close to the 15 that starts against the ABs except Jean deVilliers will retain the 12 jersey (F.Steyn will probably be out injured I guess) ... probably start Deysel on the blind side, it's a shame because i'm a fan of Danie Rousouw, but he's got too slow to start as a loose forward (he might still be okay starting as a lock, or coming on as a loosie late in the game)

The Boks will be much better for having played this game, it should be an interesting match against the line up the All Blacks are sending

Last edited:
Will be interested to see the All Blacks lineup, just read the article about them keeping 9 players at home. will this be the same squad that ends up in brisbane on the return leg, will it depend on the result in port elizabeth, or will the likes of carter and mccaw be already sunning themselves in queensland now?

I can't see them sending anything but their best to brisbane

Latest posts