• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: Wallabies - All Blacks @ Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (27-8-2011, 10:05GMT)

I think one of SA's biggest disadvantages are also that we can't have a SA ref blowing our matches in tests... most of the time we're stuck with a NH ******** that doesn't interpret the rules as the SH refs especially vs. NZ because there's no top quality aussie refs...

Stuart Dickinson and Steve Walsh are amazing referees ;)

TO be honest, they are not worse than Bryce Lawrence

No I mean just SA!

NZ and Oz have the advantage of good refs from SA blowing their games: Jonathan Kaplan, [strike]Craig Joubert[/strike], Mark Lawrence, and up until recently Andre Watson. If the boks didn't play in a world cup final, it was an SA ref blowing the final since the professional era.

:lol::lol::lol:

Wow amazed the ref even blew the whistle on Richie. Totally agree with the point you are making about the fine line all opensides play and the video albeit a bit selective does demonstrate your argument perfectly and in the heat of the moment like in that example an infringement can just happen without any premeditated thought. I am perfectly fine with that. And at times when he tackles and hangs on for dear life without releasing I can also deal with that similarly.
But then you ignore all the other infringements like not being bound to the scrum properly, like in the bledisloe last year where he scored the try by breaking away long before the ball was out(he actually did it twice in a row before scoring), offside and obstructions around the ruck area and some blatant fouls falling off his feet slowing the ball down and even playing for the ball off his feet. Imho those are acts pre-meditated therefore he fits in my scope of definition what a cheat is. But he isnt the only Allblack that does it. Other serial offenders include Woodcock, Owen Franks, Thorn, and conrad smith. I had a chuckle when I saw the online article about the legalities of Quade Coopers tackles and how "apparantly" a complaint had been made to IRB about it. NZ really need to be careful what they ask for. Theres already an immense amount of pressure on the standard of reffereeing going into the cup. Should the standards improve it might just take away much of the advantage NZ have had for years but in reality i dont see much changing.
Even after my rant and years of frustration watching the allblacks get away with so much in the past, in the end you play to the refs whistle and keep going.

Yep, it might take away a few advantages that the Wallabies have as well, given the number of "flat" passes that are made, because they tend to run the ball in the backs more ... personally, I'd like to see them more accurate in their decisions for all sides, but as you imply, they are only human, so they aren't going to be 100% accurate, and if they can't achieve that, i'll settle for some consistency.

You'll find your frustration levels will decrease as well, once you realise (like I did when Australia were beating the All Blacks in the late 1990's/early 2000's), that your team is infringing too, and not always getting penalised for it.

Haha, you're my favorite type of supporter. The type who pick the All Blacks as cheats but thinks your own side is squeaky clean. I think if you take off your gold tinted glasses, you'd realize that players like David Pocock, George Smith, Phil Waugh, Rocky Elsom etc etc all are equally as guilty, but you take all your pre-bias into a match and you'll only ever see what the other team does wrong.

Yep.

For years and years, Owen Finnegan (a blindside flanker) got away with binding onto Bill Young (the loosehead prop) in the scrum, both when playing for the Brumbies and the Wallabies. He did this into order to help Young "bore-in" on his opposing tight-head prop. Even when Finnegan packed on the tight-head side (when the blindside was on the right) he would bind up on the prop to help him bore in on the hooker. He was really crafty about it too, often starting by binding legally, and then slipping up into the illegal position as soon as the referee moved away from the scrum. I have also noticed Rocky Elsom using the same technique occasionally.

Well, it is cheating, and it is dangerous, and Bill Young is now paying the price for what he and Finnegan did.

And, those who say it is only the All Blacks who "get away" with stuff, perhaps you can explain why Michael Brial was not red carded for this act of thuggery...

Last edited by a moderator:
hahha Cooky he didn't get red carded because the ref felt sorry for him, all that effort and not 1 punch landed :)

LOL I get your frustration. It's just so damn fun working you guys up! Take it as a complement; tallest trees and all that.

Anyway if you want to tell the Aussies about cheating, show them the stats for scrums reset/collapsed in games where Aus play SA or NZ vs where NZ plays SA. Was something ridiculous last time I checked (havn't for this year yet). If I remember correctly the SA vs NZ matches had 8 resets and 8 collapses and the AUS matches (although more had near enough the same scrums) was 23 resets and 41 collapses!

Hah!! Thats not cheating! We're just crap at scrummaging! haha

Hah!! Thats not cheating! We're just crap at scrummaging! haha

Dropping the srum until you get a decent enough hit is cheating.

That said the Aussie scrum has come on in leaps and bounds (even pushing us back T_T; although we did have a hooker at tighthead when that happened).

craig joubert aside, all of the SH refs can fvck off.

The 2 referees that were in charge of our first 2 matches against New Zealand in 2010. Both were from Ireland from what I can remember, but they were outright the worst referees I have ever seen. Pathetically bad.

Nigel Owens and Alan Lewis I think it was. Alain Rolland is also pathetic. To me, it seems like the NH referees confuse rugby with dick swinging. All they do the entire game is try to stamp authority over players, choosing to reset scrums when the ball is already at the centres. NH referees can't stand free flowing games.

Dropping the srum until you get a decent enough hit is cheating.

That said the Aussie scrum has come on in leaps and bounds (even pushing us back T_T; although we did have a hooker at tighthead when that happened).

Yes a hooker at tighthead and no loose forwards bound properly and pushing ;)

The 2 referees that were in charge of our first 2 matches against New Zealand in 2010. Both were from Ireland from what I can remember, but they were outright the worst referees I have ever seen. Pathetically bad.

Nigel Owens and Alan Lewis I think it was. Alain Rolland is also pathetic. To me, it seems like the NH referees confuse rugby with dick swinging. All they do the entire game is try to stamp authority over players, choosing to reset scrums when the ball is already at the centres. NH referees can't stand free flowing games.

I agree. The Irish refs are terrible. Make Stu look good!

Nigel Owens is a good referee. I'd rather have the scrum reset and have it done well. Than some other ref's that just don't even look at the freakin feed and walk to the back of the scrum. The scrum is a part of the game REF!! :p + Nigel Owens is Welsh if that wasen't obvious enough by his name. Alain Rolland I agree is pathetic.

Yep.

For years and years, Owen Finnegan (a blindside flanker) got away with binding onto Bill Young (the loosehead prop) in the scrum, both when playing for the Brumbies and the Wallabies. He did this into order to help Young "bore-in" on his opposing tight-head prop. Even when Finnegan packed on the tight-head side (when the blindside was on the right) he would bind up on the prop to help him bore in on the hooker. He was really crafty about it too, often starting by binding legally, and then slipping up into the illegal position as soon as the referee moved away from the scrum. I have also noticed Rocky Elsom using the same technique occasionally.

Well, it is cheating, and it is dangerous, and Bill Young is now paying the price for what he and Finnegan did.

And, those who say it is only the All Blacks who "get away" with stuff, perhaps you can explain why Michael Brial was not red carded for this act of thuggery...

The ref/touchjudge must have felt sorry for a nr.8 that landed that amount of punches and couldn't even knock the centre out :p. Worst punches I have ever seen on a rugby pitch :p (As in nancy-hits.) But yeh deserved a red :p.

I would say Bunces use of the forearm following through with the elbow maybe what sparked the over reaction. Im sure Brial just started swinging like a windmill for no reason at all.
Clearly the New Zealander is at fault instigating the incident with the cheap shot. Typical and justified why Brial didnt deserve a red card. Son deserves a medal!
Why don't you go to the nearest ballet shop, get some nice tutus and get some great dancing going on!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if there's a a perfect English corresponding to that, but in Italy we used to say "You can slap him two by two, until they become odd!"

Dam i missed a 42 page thread, didn't get to gloat once. Well here goes...

hahahaha take that. We are the best. Watch your back at the world cup. Also, Dan Carter will be having nightmares about Samo for the next 6 weeks. hahahaha.

;)

Dam i missed a 42 page thread, didn't get to gloat once. Well here goes...

hahahaha take that. We are the best. Watch your back at the world cup. Also, Dan Carter will be having nightmares about Samo for the next 6 weeks. hahahaha.

;)

Enjoy the Bledisloe Cup...oh wait.

Latest posts