• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales vs France (22/02/20)

Wales aren't the first and won't be thr last side to be beaten by this exciting French squad of young players. There's some serious talent in there who are capable of playing far better than they did today. Wales got on top in the second half, but it says a lot about this French side that they found a way to win. French sides of the last decade have been finding ways to lose, so hopefully this really is the beginning of a new era for French rugby because the 6 nations and world rugby is far better with a strong France.

I'll agree with your last sentence

This game showed the French are back well played.
Discipline needs sorting both other than that deserved winners.
Close calls Via TMO as a Neutral no issues for me.
Both teams have plenty of positives.
Wales maybe need to look at how to break down 14 men.
For me it's great to see 4 teams can win 6 N obviously not this year but going forward it's great.

I agree with most of that. However, as even Gatland himself insinuated when leaving, this could be the beginning of the end for Wales. He was an exceptional coach who got the players to play above themselves, and I doubt Pivac has quite that same ability. The Ospreys are nowadays basically Zebre level, while whatever improvements the other three Welsh pro teams have made are ultimately pretty tentative and from a fairly low base too. Furthermore, apart from one Grand Slam in 2016, the results in recent times of the Wales U20's teams have not been that great either.

See I don't buy into this. But for France shooting themselves in the foot Gatland would have lost to France the last 2 times as well. In the 6 nations Wales overcame a 17point half time defecit, where Wales were second best by quite some distance, due to France handing Wales 2 tries on silver platters. In the WC the Red card turns that game. So I certainly don't see Wales as being doomed just because Gats in no longer there. He was a fantastic coach, but he rode his luck on occasions, something Pivac didn't have today.

See I don't buy into this. But for France shooting themselves in the foot Gatland would have lost to France the last 2 times as well. In the 6 nations Wales overcame a 17point half time defecit, where Wales were second best by quite some distance, due to France handing Wales 2 tries on silver platters. In the WC the Red card turns that game. So I certainly don't see Wales as being doomed just because Gats in no longer there. He was a fantastic coach, but he rode his luck on occasions, something Pivac didn't have today.

It's not just against France though. My point is that many of the players are quite middling in terms of their actual talent - too often they struggle when playing for the regions, and the majority of them would be hard-pressed to get into the teams of NZ, SA, England, Ireland and by the looks of it France too.

You shouldn't exagerate... I would say that now, only French can stop the Irish to win it, even if irish were to loose to England... France is NOT and by far favourite over Ireland... A good victory over England at home, an average team winning over Italy at home, a good match but abit lucky win in Wales, France is not yet the true favourite... I still place England, Wales and Ireland above France on the paper, but the gap is small right now... And France is surely the team with the greatest margin of improvements for the next years...
England should beat Ireland

It's not just against France though. My point is that many of the players are quite middling in terms of their actual talent - too often they struggle when playing for the regions, and the majority of them would be hard-pressed to get into the teams of NZ, SA, England, Ireland and by the looks of it France too.

Also don't see that. The regions seriously underperform imo. They have a lack of money to sign the quality overseas players that even sides like Leinster with their massive squad need to be the best. Squad depth can't compete with the Irish, English or French, which results in big drop offs when there are injuries. Coaching has also been sub par (apart from the Scarlets who got things right with Pivac and Moar).

There are plenty of talented players there, more than there ever has been. This shows when they come together for Wales.

I am concerned that if the Regions aren't sorted that things will catch up with the national side as well, but I don't think were there quite yet. The quality of players is there, and in most positions we can go a few deep. There's some key players missing atm, but that'll only make us atrobger in the long run. E.g. Tompkins had a much better game today. Needs to work on the timing of his passing,, but he caused France no end of problems and Vakatawa was kept relatively quiet. That'a a serious plus even when JD2 returns.

Also don't see that. The regions seriously underperform imo. They have a lack of money to sign the quality overseas players that even sides like Leinster with their massive squad need to be the best. Squad depth can't compete with the Irish, English or French, which results in big drop offs when there are injuries. Coaching has also been sub par (apart from the Scarlets who got things right with Pivac and Moar).

There are plenty of talented players there, more than there ever has been. This shows when they come together for Wales.

I am concerned that if the Regions aren't sorted that things will catch up with the national side as well, but I don't think were there quite yet. The quality of players is there, and in most positions we can go a few deep. There's some key players missing atm, but that'll only make us atrobger in the long run. E.g. Tompkins had a much better game today. Needs to work on the timing of his passing,, but he caused France no end of problems and Vakatawa was kept relatively quiet. That'a a serious plus even when JD2 returns.

The regions were set up precisely to have the quality and depth that the old club game of course did not have. Yet however beneficial the change has been for the national team, the regions in and of themselves have not been that much better in the league and especially Europe compared to the old clubs and in some cases (i.e. the Dragons) may have even regressed.

Your point about Leinster is particularly noteworthy - unlike Saracens or Toulon, they have had overwhelmingly homegrown players and yet have achieved levels of success that the four teams from the country where rugby is putatively the national sport could only dream about.

Look dude, the last thing I want to do is play down yous guys victory... it was fully deserved no doubt. But as a red-blooded, daffodil-tint glass wearing Welsh man of no repute, I will fight a cornerless battle wherever I find one... so let's ****ing go! The beauty is, I don't have to pardon my French this once a year :p!

Excellent ! :D Let's hope we'll avenge you against irish ;)

Oooh and I forgot, I know the legendary love to fight of the Welsh, I remember some encounters with Llanelli in Heini Cup certain years ago... From a Brive supporter ;)

This game showed the French are back well played.
Discipline needs sorting both other than that deserved winners.
Close calls Via TMO as a Neutral no issues for me.
Both teams have plenty of positives.
Wales maybe need to look at how to break down 14 men.
For me it's great to see 4 teams can win 6 N obviously not this year but going forward it's great.

TOTALLY agreed there.

Can confirm that he's bushytop's alt account

Je ne suis pas trop d'accord avec vous les gars... m'auriez-vous accusé d'être Ecossais, cela m'aurait moins gêné... mais moi Rosbif ... sans déconner, faut pas exagérer ! on avait dit pas de coups bas !

I don't fully agree with all of you, guys... you would have acused me to be a Scott, it wouldn't have bothered me either... but a Pommy... WTF, don't exagerate at all... we all said "no hit under the belt" ! *

Je ne suis pas trop d'accord avec vous les gars... m'auriez-vous accusé d'être Ecossais, cela m'aurait moins gêné... mais moi Rosbif ... sans déconner, faut pas exagérer ! on avait dit pas de coups bas !

I don't fully agree with all of you, guys... you would have acused me to be a Scott, it wouldn't have bothered me either... but a Pommy... WTF, don't exagerate at all... we all said "no hit under the belt" ! *
@bushytop being called a Pommy is the highest honour he's ever received.

Latest posts