• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2020 Six Nations] Wales vs France (22/02/20)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
proxy.php
VS
France.png
16:45, 22/02/2020
Principality Stadium, Cardiff

Wales for me with home advantage, but France have been playing some nice stuff.
Be interesting to see how they rock up away from home.

This will show if the first round was just a good performance against a woeful England or if France really have turned a corner.

Really tough for France, if they did win here then that would be a real statement

A Welsh win. Over the past 4 years France have given Wales more gifts than the ghost of Mother Theresa dressed up as Santa Clause at a Christmas fair.

Literally seems like every time they play France do something unbelievably moronic and go into self destruct mode. Really can't see that changing, especially away from home.

A Welsh win. Over the past 4 years France have given Wales more gifts than the ghost of Mother Theresa dressed up as Santa Clause at a Christmas fair.

Literally seems like every time they play France do something unbelievably moronic and go into self destruct mode. Really can't see that changing, especially away from home.

I see a french defeat but not for the same reasons... I don't see us to go into self destruct mode. Actually France has only energy for about 60 minutes of high level game, in this 60', they are able to dominate all their opponents, sometimes, outrageously. then, past this hour, they are fuel empty. it's not self destruction, it's a season of 40 match a year for each its best player. Then you have had 2 poor coach : Liévremont and Saint André, and 2 average ones : Novès (despite 3 or 4 european cups with Toulouse, he was "has been" and coached France too late) and Brunel (not a bad one, but didn't find the way to win the fight with french top 14 clubs, and he was preparing the come of Galthié)... The new coach team seem far better, and has won slightely the first round with Top 14 teams. We'll see if Galthié/Ibanez receive full support from FFR against LNR, which was clearly not the case for the french coach in the last 20 years.

To come back to the match, Welsh will have the home advantage, they have been almost humiliated by Ireland and will want to erase the humiliation against the French. French have already succeeded in their 6N they have beaten an ultrafavourite for the tournament (still in the race). French have never been in the race for the win before the 6N. they are the "agréable" surprise. They will play without pression, they know they have almost no chance to win, and as most usual, they know the referee won't give them the match. it's Wales which will have the pressure. they can't loose 2 in a round, at home, against a young unexperience team.

french scrum is scrap, but so is Welsh one. In the Forwards game, I find welsh team is far stronger overall, and the fact they play together for longer time than French, which has no automatism, as we saw that the french lineouts is catastrophic... I think the alone good point forwards for the French is their 3rd line, very efficient, very strong and with lots of skills. in the backs, if on the value and pure skills of the players, the french seem clearly ahead, I think that once again, automatisms will be a problem for the French.

I would like a french win, but my mind think this year, Wales is still too much. France should draw or even dominate slightly in the 1st half, but as usual, they will inevitably fall in the second half, and more the time will pass, more the Weslh will take the game at their hands. I'm truly fearing a lesson. I think Wales will take 5 points because of 3 tries in the last 15 minutes (an let say, 1 in the 1st half).

Wales by 15+.

I am rooting for Wales for sure, but I am only sure of one thing... that I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I'm hoping being at home will make the difference, but (inserts mandated comment, "You never know which France will show up!")

Mixed feeling for this. We are showing some weakness out wide and we don't seem to have quite worked out our defensive shape.Our handling was seriously ropey against Ireland which undermined evidence of some interesting shape in our attacking game.

Scrum has wobbled at crucial times. A few players are below their best (Wainwright, North), a few injuries Adams and Biggar (hia) been cleared to play.

That said, if it sounds pessimistic, it's balanced by the fact we have a lot of settled players and the change in personnel isn't that high from the world cup, and they seem to be enjoying the freedom that Pivac is giving them to attack. Early days and a few teething errors in both attack and defence will give you opportunities, but we're at home and there is potential, if things click, to do some damage. Should be fun.

WALES TEAM TO PLAY FRANCE (Saturday February 22 KO 16.45 BBC & S4C)

15. Leigh Halfpenny (87 Caps)
14. George North (93 Caps)
13. Nick Tompkins (2 Caps)
12. Hadleigh Parkes (27 Caps)
11. Josh Adams (23 Caps)
10. Dan Biggar (81 Caps)
9. Gareth Davies (52 Caps)
1. Wyn Jones (24 Caps)
2. Ken Owens (75 Caps)
3. Dillon Lewis (24 Caps)
4. Jake Ball (44 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (136 Caps)
6. Ross Moriarty (43 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (74 Caps)
8. Taulupe Faletau (74 Caps)

Replacements:

16. Ryan Elias (11 Caps)
17. Rob Evans (37 Caps)
18. Leon Brown (8 Caps)
19. Will Rowlands (*Uncapped)
20. Aaron Wainwright (20 Caps)
21. Tomos Williams (18 Caps)
22. Jarrod Evans (5 Caps)
23. Johnny McNicholl (2 Caps)

Biggar starting is....concerning. For his wellbeing.

Three concussions in the last 5 months - I thought three within 12months was a mandatory 3 month stand down? Remember Sexton having to have one when he was at Racing.
Makes this article a bit ironic:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49654750

I know he's passed his protocols yada yada yada, but still...

Three concussions in the last 5 months - I thought three within 12months was a mandatory 3 month stand down? Remember Sexton having to have one when he was at Racing.

If he does have another one he should have a break until September. He may want to play now, but he's really risking his future health, just ask many ex-players.

Wales starting XV has an average of 57 caps. That experience, especially at home, ought to be enough.

WALES TEAM TO PLAY FRANCE (Saturday February 22 KO 16.45 BBC & S4C)

15. Leigh Halfpenny (87 Caps)
14. George North (93 Caps)
13. Nick Tompkins (2 Caps)
12. Hadleigh Parkes (27 Caps)
11. Josh Adams (23 Caps)
10. Dan Biggar (81 Caps)
9. Gareth Davies (52 Caps)
1. Wyn Jones (24 Caps)
2. Ken Owens (75 Caps)
3. Dillon Lewis (24 Caps)
4. Jake Ball (44 Caps)
5. Alun Wyn Jones (C) (136 Caps)
6. Ross Moriarty (43 Caps)
7. Justin Tipuric (74 Caps)
8. Taulupe Faletau (74 Caps)

Replacements:

16. Ryan Elias (11 Caps)
17. Rob Evans (37 Caps)
18. Leon Brown (8 Caps)
19. Will Rowlands (*Uncapped)
20. Aaron Wainwright (20 Caps)
21. Tomos Williams (18 Caps)
22. Jarrod Evans (5 Caps)
23. Johnny McNicholl (2 Caps)

Pack gets stuffed so we make no changes to the front 5 and drop the scrum half...

I just dont understand that at all.

I hope North and Tompkins have been doing tackle drills for the last 2 weeks.

Think Racing thenselves stood Sexton down then, don't know if there's an actual rule on the subject.

That many concussions in that amount of time is worrying regardless of whether or not he's been cleared to play off the individual concussions. I think as a sport we handle concussion very well, having come from a very bad place to being well ahead of the curve overall but this is a blind spot in the rules imo, this is very risky, a break is better for his long term health and his career.

FRANCE (vs Wales, Saturday)

15. Bouthier; 14. Thomas, 13. Vakatawa, 12. Vincent, 11. Fickou; 10. Ntamack, 9. Dupont; 8. Alldritt, 7. Ollivon (capt), 6. Cros; 5. Willemse, 4. Le Roux; 3. Haouas, 2. Marchand, 1. Baille. Reps: 16. Chat, 17. Gros, 18. Bamba, 19. Taofifenua, 20. Cretin, 21. Serin, 22. Jalibert, 23. Ramos

Bit of a shakeup on the bench, including reverting to a 5-3 split instead of the 6-2 they had against Italy but the only change in the starting team is injury related both ways, Vakatawa is fit again and coming in to replace the injured Rattez. A lot of faith being shown in Vincent to keep him in the team despite needing to move Fickou out to the wing, big test even if it is only Hadleigh Parkes opposite him.

Overall that backline is a lot more dangerous than their counterparts and Tompkins will need to improve massively on his performance against us or he's in trouble against Vakatawa. Forwards are less certain, I can't say I rate that Welsh pack particularly highly but they should have more than enough experience at home to see off a young French pack.

At the end of the day France only beat England by 7 despite being at home, they'll play some nice rugby here but turning it into a win in Cardiff is a big ask, especially given the gulf in experience between the two sides. Would love to see france win but at a guess Wales by about 7.

Last edited:
Scrum caps don't help with concussions

Curious as to why not. After all, its head protection, covers the side of the head (the more delicate part) and the forehead. Which implies some padding to reduce the force of impact, even if it doesnt cover everything.

Latest posts