• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2017 RBS Six Nations] Round 2: Wales vs England (11/02/2017)

Faletau isn't an 8 that's going to go barrelling through the opposition you need to give it to him in some space not tight carries like he had when come on. I think the difference between to the two sides were the subs, England's came on and made a difference while Wales didn't put a few on and the ones who did didn't make much of an impact. Biggar had a good game but I don't think he is creative enough to breakdown good defensive's, unless you Howley suddenly grows a pair and actually put's Sam Davies on in the big matches we are never going to know anyways if he can 'handle it', I reckon he can. I was very disappointed in the use of Scott Williams, he's a good ball playing centre but if he's just going to do switches and run straight may as well play Roberts tbh. Cuthbert provided no surprises and again showed that he currently isn't up to international standard, however I'm sure he will feature again in the competition over other players more deserving of a start. I thought this before and now believe it even more from his selection, tactics and use of subs, I still think Howley isn't good enough and holding the current Welsh team back from where they could be.

On waiting for an egg to hatch isn't Youngs slightly culpable for the same offence in regards to the Biggar intercept. I'm fairly certain part of the reason that play failed was because everyone was set up for it for an age before he whipped the ball out so it was an easy read for Biggar. Also helped Biggar didn't really have much choice it would of been a try had he not tried anything.

Still at least it means probably Murray starting for the Lions.

Well yeah. But Youngs had to dig it out a long way. And only was that bad once. Webb would have clean enough ball and still be waiting phase after phase.

As for Youngs, the dumb git should have just left it to the forwards until they'd produced something quick (or flopped over the line). Man that was a rancidly bad play.

Well, not got anything too grand to contribute but after digesting everything over the weekend just want to say well done to England - hell of a game and a very classy finish from Ford, Farrell and Daly.

As for Wales, a few positives and a much improved performance overall, but some frustrating individual errors and still problems with our attacking play. Our back row played very well and Biggar played much flatter so those were improvements for sure. Have to wonder though if we'd had an in-form wing on the field whether Biggar would have had a supporting player to pass to when he made his break, which would have put the game away.

Ultimately, individual errors but even more evident is the failings in the coaching setup. Howley is on very thin ice.

Webb spent so long looking at the ball when it was in the England 22 around the 57th minute mark that I honestly thought he reckoned it was actually an egg and he was waiting to see if it hatched. Was no bueno.

Also, on rewatch and having looked at the stats, I totally agree with the decision to sub Moriarty. Wales were struggling to convert opportunities and part of the reason was their carriers weren't going great. An 8 with 11 carries for 11 metres is usually considered pretty culpable there.

Course, it doesn't help that Faletau only made 1 metre in his 5... oops. Maybe not that match fit enough? Or maybe a victim of Webb waiting for the entire English line to reset (hyperbole)?

Just watched around the 57th minute, not sure I found the specific instance. But there is the one in which his pause before passing to Faletau allowed Haskell to line up and drive him back. Which incidentally does explain Faletaus lack of metres somewhat. Even with this example, there were times when Youngs waited a good couple of seconds longer than Webb waiting for his egg to hatch. But yeah, In general If a big carrier is being driven back you have to at least ask the question what role did the scrum half play in setting him up to fail. Of course it's not that simple a lot of the time but really if there is quickish ball and the 9 does his job in a timely fashion, the only way should be forward.

- - - Updated - - -

Well yeah. But Youngs had to dig it out a long way. And only was that bad once. Webb would have clean enough ball and still be waiting phase after phase.

As for Youngs, the dumb git should have just left it to the forwards until they'd produced something quick (or flopped over the line). Man that was a rancidly bad play.

Unforgiveable to float a pass that flat across the line. I'm hearing what a great read it was from Biggar but my grandmother could probably have read that too

actually put's Sam Davies on in the big matches we are never going to know anyways if he can 'handle it', I reckon he can..
Doesn't THAT kick at the end kind of prove he may not be able to handle the pressure yet?

Doesn't THAT kick at the end kind of prove he may not be able to handle the pressure yet?

I agree with you that he's good enough and can handle it but that was Japan and there seems to be a reluctance from the management to put him on in games against the top sides.

I'm referring to his clearance kick at the end of the England/Wales match

top team, he makes a complete horlicks of a standard tactic and it results in a try. If I were management I'd be questioning his decisions making under pressure in times like that.

I'm referring to his clearance kick at the end of the England/Wales match

top team, he makes a complete horlicks of a standard tactic and it results in a try. If I were management I'd be questioning his decisions making under pressure in times like that.

Your getting Jon Davies (the 13 who made the awful clearance kick) and Sam Davies (10 who played 2nd half against Italy last week, was on bench but didn't come on) confused, I'm not surprised as there are rather a few Davies and Willaims in the Wales team. :p

Great game which exemplified how cruel sport can be. I think Wales blew it, ultimately. A couple of knock-ons here, a couple of forward passes there...and they should have kicked their penalties in the first half (I'm sure teams like NZ would have). England have that winning mentality now and just needed that one chance at the end which, unfortunately, seemed to be on the cards. Congrats to England, I was particularly impressed at how tight & ferocious their defence was.

Agreeing with others on most issues. Cuthbert is just baffling - when others are fit he gets nowhere near the 23, yet at the first sign of injuries he starts. How is that a way to manage someone's confidence (and the other players' confidence in them)? He hardly gets a pass to show what he can do in attack, and then gets shown up in defence through losing concentration (Youngs' try) and not stopping Daly (admittedly not easy). It can't be a good state of affairs when you see a particular player's name on the teamsheet and immediately feel sorry for them and cross your fingers that their form will miraculously improve! I feel for the guy and anyone who gives him abuse should be ashamed of themselves (especially after his exploits in 2012-13); however, he needs to be set free for now and concentrate on his club form.

On the JD2 kick, it looked pretty awful - a mistake or coaches' instructions? - but there is merit in the argument that a touchfinder could have easily resulted in a driving maul and eventually a try anyway. There was something inevitable about it.

The effort and application was unquestionable (which makes the result harder to take). Moriarty stood out (was also impressed by Farrell's attitude after being hit late, good lad), he even made Faletau look the lesser player in comparison (great as he is).

As for Howley - well, sometimes your changes work, sometimes they don't. However, Sam Davies being the ONLY player not to get a game looks really silly. Even if he didn't replace Biggar, he could've replaced Cuthbert with 1/2p going out wide, or JD2 with Biggar going to 12 & SW to 13. I'm happy with Biggar starting (big game player and immense on Saturday) but having someone around like Davies gives us a fantastic option to change the game - which could, and should, have happened. It would have been win-win for Howley - if Davies plays great, then he takes the plaudits for being adventurous with his selection, if he doesn't do well then Howley says maybe he's not quite ready etc etc.

Barring Cuthbert, I don't think I'd change much in terms of selection, although now the Slam (and maybe the ***le) has gone, perhaps it's time to try one or two younger players out, at least from the bench.

Quite grateful for the break now, these games are so stressful!

PS brilliant atmosphere at the SdF yesterday.

Your getting Jon Davies (the 13 who made the awful clearance kick) and Sam Davies (10 who played 2nd half against Italy last week, was on bench but didn't come on) confused, I'm not surprised as there are rather a few Davies and Willaims in the Wales team. :p
Damnit.......sorry for that it was a bit of an odd game to watch it was one few occasions I've watched with my Dad in years. Not usually a problem but my wife and Mum insisted in having a conversation over the match (and trying to include us) making to hard to follow substitutions. I just made assumption that a clearance kick would be done by the 10 and therefore would be that Davies.

Anyone catch Sonyas post match interview with Alun-Wyn?

She was massively patronising - said something to the effect of "it must be really frustrating that you improved your performance so much for recent weeks and yet YOU STILL COULDN'T WIN!"
Alun Win looked annoyed, too.

She was massively patronising - said something to the effect of "it must be really frustrating that you improved your performance so much for recent weeks and yet YOU STILL COULDN'T WIN!"

Shes a blithering idiot

I can never quite decide if Sonya or Jill Douglas is the worst pundit in sport.
Jill seems better when she's kept away from current players being the anchor.

Lee McKenzie on the other hand... and not just because her accent does things to me - she was good at F1 as well.

Jill seems better when she's kept away from current players being the anchor.

Lee McKenzie on the other hand... and not just because her accent does things to me - she was good at F1 as well.

Yeah, and it's a shame because we need more female pundits, journalists etc...

Sonja and Eykin are two of the most patronising, arrogant sycophants I've ever had the displeasure of having to endure.

They make my blood boil. Nails down a chalkboard.

Maggie Alphonsi leaves me pretty cold. Also, as an athletics fan, she really annoyed me with her talk of aiming for the Olympics in the shot putt after she'd retired. Have to say that I had a little inward laugh when she barely reached club level.

Latest posts