• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Scotland vs. England (06/02/2016)

so what should Farrell have done?

When he was penalised for pushing Laidlaw(?) into touch whwn he was screening the ball what should Farrellhave done? The defender is not obliged to get out of the way but equally it could be said he was obstructing. In open field he would expect to get 'moved'. Didn't think Farrell should have been penalised but the incident shows he can be impetuous and that refs are looking for it.

You aren't allowed to push players without the ball.

He shouldn't have pushed a player without the ball.

Thought groundhog day was earlier in the week. Calls for a new coach are insane, perhaps we could do with some fancy mental coaching - a lot of players seem to struggle in internationals. Of course, it could be that they're ****e and just have the occasional good game!

Aye, it's a penalty all day long if the ref is following the letter of the law.

I'd have done the same, though, and if I was Laidlaw I'd have expected the same.

firstly said please and after he had moved, thank you !!!!!! or just put his arms round him and give him a BIG KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought I'd be praising Billy Vunipola so much, but that match was tailor made for him.
However, as another poster commented, would he be as effective in a more open game? Whatever, he deserves to keep his place against Italy.
Changes for Italy? Ford needs to regain his confidence - but will he do it with an out of sorts Bath team?
So who plays 10? Cipriani, please, but it ain't going to happen - probably Farrell. JJ not at his best so Daly to come back.
Room has to be made for Itoje in the second row and at Lawes's expense.

Wing forwards? Where is our 7? He wasn't there yesterday, but as Eddie apparently thought Haskell played well, I suppose he'll be retained.

Last edited:
And been in England most likely longer than Maitland, Hardie, Seymour combined time in Scotland.
Binny moved to England when he was 11, is now 23, so 12 years.
Maitland lived in Scotland 2012-2015.
Hardie 2015-.
Seymour 2011-.
9 years between those three.
Chuck in WP Nel (4years) and you finally beat Binny.

Yup penalty every day of the week, not sure he should of done it as the ref adjudged Scotland had pushed the ball out (didn't look that way) so instead of a very attacking lineout we had a Scottish line out at the mid-way point.

No idea how anyone could complain about it being penalty....clear as day.

Hardie 2015-.
Seymour 2011-.

What about Cowan and Denton?

Yup penalty every day of the week, not sure he should of done it as the ref adjudged Scotland had pushed the ball out (didn't look that way) so instead of a very attacking lineout we had a Scottish line out at the mid-way point.

No idea how anyone could complain about it being penalty....clear as day.

Pretty much agree with that.

Without a traditional Openside flanker up to international standard Eddie Jones decision to go with Haskell and Robshaw was no surprise. Haskell certainly got stuck in and whilst certainly no Pocock he should keep his place until a real contender emerges. Same can be said for the Inside Centre position as Farrell is no more a international 12 than Sam Burgess was.

Without a traditional Openside flanker up to international standard Eddie Jones decision to go with Haskell and Robshaw was no surprise. Haskell certainly got stuck in and whilst certainly no Pocock he should keep his place until a real contender emerges. Same can be said for the Inside Centre position as Farrell is no more a international 12 than Sam Burgess was.
Kvesic he may not be quite up to international standard yet but I'm willing to bet he's far better international 7 than Haskell.

IC is a problem though I think Farrell is just best out of poor options currently although I think I'd prefer Sam hill now. But I'm not really up for chopping and changing combinations after one attempt that had led to ruin before. Sam Burgess was never the best option...

According to the International Rugby Board's most recent figures, England have 2,549,196 registered players, France 313,877, Ireland 153,000, Wales 50,557, Italy 66,176 and Scotland 38,500. Obvious reasons why we utilise the existing qualifications regulations !

Without a traditional Openside flanker up to international standard Eddie Jones decision to go with Haskell and Robshaw was no surprise. Haskell certainly got stuck in and whilst certainly no Pocock he should keep his place until a real contender emerges.

Bull****.
The only reason we don't have an "international standard 7" is because our coaches refuse to try a 7 there. They're happy to stick with player who, it is painfully obvious, aren't up to task.
Maybe Kvesic wouldn't play well at international level but we will never know unless they try him.
Banging on about 6.5s and then playing Haskell at 7 is just a joke.

Also I am genuinely amazed that they say Haskell is the fittest in the squad. Maybe it's just gym fitness vs game fitness as I thought he looked very lazy yesterday, and wouldn't be surprised if he hit the fewest rucks out of our forwards.

Hardie 2015-.
Seymour 2011-.

How old was Binny when moved to Wales?

Not sure how you came to this conclusion, Faz is the better place kicker therefore it makes sense he kicks.....same reason 1/2p does for Wales your best kicker kicks not your 10. That said Farrell still missed two.

Because in the past when they have both been playing Ford remained the kicker, and none of the kicks that were taken were out of his range. In addition Faz did all the kicking from hand as well. I hate to say it but it's starting to look like Ford hasn't got what it takes, but on the up side that would make room for Cips. I'm not sure I'd mind too much if Faz started games and Cips came on later to change it up and start pudding the gain line when the opposition is tired. Anyway I reckon Ford has the Italy game to start showing improvement.

Also I am genuinely amazed that they say Haskell is the fittest in the squad. Maybe it's just gym fitness vs game fitness as I thought he looked very lazy yesterday, and wouldn't be surprised if he hit the fewest rucks out of our forwards.[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid you're either needlessly influenced by the so called "Brand Haskell" cr@p or you don't understand the role of a modern flanker.

Kvesic is not ready for England, EJ thinks so and so do I whether he will be time will tell.

Haskell is not a 7 as he's much happier clearing out creating quick ball and driving back in the tackle than he is stealing the ball but he was more effective than Robshaw yesterday hence why Jones took the Quins player off and not Haskell.

Latest posts