• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Scotland vs. England (06/02/2016)

Why is Kvesic not ready?
Other than number of carries his stats are all significantly better, but considering the quality of Haskell's carrying yesterday I don't think that makes a lick of difference.

If Haskell is happier "clearing out creating quick ball and driving back in the tackle" then why isn't he doing that?
How was he more effective than Robshaw? They were both poor.
Robshaw carried 6 times for 3m, Haskell 7 times for 2m.
Neither made a clean break or beat a defender, both gave away 1 penalty.
Neither won a turnover.
Haskell made more tackles but I don't remember one dominant tackel - in fact my main memory of Haskell was him being driven back several metres on a carry.

Last edited:
Because in the past when they have both been playing Ford remained the kicker, and none of the kicks that were taken were out of his range. In addition Faz did all the kicking from hand as well. I hate to say it but it's starting to look like Ford hasn't got what it takes, but on the up side that would make room for Cips. I'm not sure I'd mind too much if Faz started games and Cips came on later to change it up and start pudding the gain line when the opposition is tired. Anyway I reckon Ford has the Italy game to start showing improvement.

I very much doubt that George Ford was the guy who picked Farrell to kick.

I saw nothing wrong with Ford's confidence yesterday and am beginning to feel like I've entered bizarro-world with some of the doubts about him.

As for Haskell and Robshaw... neither had a good game. Neither should be permitted to stand in the way of guys who do things to a genuinely excellent standard at international level. They can both play better than that, but it wouldn't surprise me if neither of them are in the team in a year. Neither really justified their selection imo.

Thought groundhog day was earlier in the week. Calls for a new coach are insane, perhaps we could do with some fancy mental coaching - a lot of players seem to struggle in internationals. Of course, it could be that they're ****e and just have the occasional good game!

I was thinking the same thing. They recently brought in Richie Gray (the older one) as a consultant coach but they possibly need to try a sports psychiatrist like Steve Peters to work on the mindset side of things.

I was thinking the same thing. They recently brought in Richie Gray (the older one) as a consultant coach but they possibly need to try a sports psychiatrist like Steve Peters to work on the mindset side of things.

Scotland are heading in the right direction . VC is light years ahead of previous occupants of that office . We conceded two soft scores but overall not much between the teams . Their Tongan Number eight had a cracking game whilst Hogg showed he is a more skilled performer than Brown Laidlaw's service is too slow thus restricting the attacking potential . Hidalgo Clyne should have been brought on in the second half.

Scotland are heading in the right direction . VC is light years ahead of previous occupants of that office . We conceded two soft scores but overall not much between the teams . Their Tongan Number eight had a cracking game whilst Hogg showed he is a more skilled performer than Brown Laidlaw's service is too slow thus restricting the attacking potential . Hidalgo Clyne should have been brought on in the second half.

Lol at you trying to claim England use foreign players. Isn't half the Scottish team foreign? But then I guess they would need to be as all your Scottish born ones are rubbish.

Must be hard looking forward to the wooden spoon every year. I feel sorry for you

But when will they go from turning the corner to seriously looking good. It's easy say ye conceded soft tries etc but that is consistently happening.

.......whilst Hogg showed he is a more skilled performer than Brown-........

Haha!! He certainly ran a lot but got nowhere and was partly at least to blame for two English tries!

Brown did nothing wrong other than one screwed kick directly into touch that really did not matter!

Yup, defence has been ropey for a while. Even when our attack does click we're still like to lose due to defensive problems.

Haha!! He certainly ran a lot but got nowhere and was partly at least to blame for two English tries!

Brown did nothing wrong other than one screwed kick directly into touch that really did not matter!

Round and bouncing ! LOL

Well, thoughts:

Firstly, HA Scotland! Every single year. When will Scotland learn that losing a close game to a tier 1 opposition playing poorly does not make them a good team? Nor does blaming the ref every game. England got a better reception this year than 2 years ago but the constant booing really irritated me. Serious attitude problem with the Scots towards the English so it's nice silencing them.

For England, Ford was terrible. Aimless kick after aimless kick and did not really bring anyone into the game. He simply cannot function with forwards who aren't doing their jobs at the moment. As a whole I'd describe the English forwards as "lethargic" they are SO slow to get anywhere. You do not see Kiwi forwards just ambling around offside and Jones had better drum it into their heads that if they can't be bothered, they are out. Related to that, breakdown was pathetic as usual, as shown by Ford being swamped by 4 Scottish attackers on a kick and it taking 3 seconds for the first English forward to arrive. They could see the problem that was about to happen but didn't think to speed up. I hope Jones seriously grills them about this, I know I would as a coach. Really late game it is understandable, it isn't in the first half.

Scrum Halves both slow and pretty poor. Youngs throwing an intercept that easily could have led to a try (after slowing down every single phase of play) and Care being anonomous. Get Simpson in, if nothing else he at least understands the concept of getting the ball away from the breakdown quickly. Nowell the standout player for me, don't think he put a foot wrong all game and what he lacks in speed he makes up in various other aspects. JJ pretty anonomous but everything seemed slow and forced so not overly suprised. Lineout was pretty solid though, which is nice. Billy V did a lot well considering he was so often in a bad position and Jamie George comes on and immediately beasts the Scottish scrum... Why is Hartley captain when we have George available?

Also Farrell is a ***.
Felt the only time you been booed this year was when Farrell was going to have a kick at goal (which in fairness the last time he played us does he deserve our respect ?) and when you sang swing low, which in fairness i don't think we realise you also do it for our reaction.

Hogg's one on one tackling is, frankly, embarrassing.
For a suposedly international class fullback it's no where near the required standard.

But Scotland in my opinion done well. We are so careless with the ball from the ruck. no one looks after it and cost us possession from 5 metres out. Secondly our wingers were awful yesterday, knocked the ball on every time they look like scoring. Thirdly i always do feel that Russell's and Hogg's decision making can be alot better. Russell just ran it in sometimes were i felt he should had kicked.

- - - Updated - - -

Hogg's one on one tackling is, frankly, embarrassing.
For a suposedly international class fullback it's no where near the required standard.
Very debatable

Last edited by a moderator:
There seems to be a lot of questions around Haskell and Robshaws inclusion in this team but surely the reason is obvious and Jones has made his selection policy pretty clear. He wants experienced heads on the pitch so that a basic game plan can be implemented and the game controlled. He's said more than once that the likes of Daly and Itoje will get their chance but at the right time. Our set piece was very good against Scotland and it still needs some work. All the broken play, on the floor stuff will come and then lads with the right skill sets will be introduced. I know everyone seems to want Kvesic but there must be reason two coaches don't want to select him (although I must confess I'm not entirely sure what that is) so if he wants his shot he must work on the weakness in his game and push for a place. As Saracens have shown, if you have a strong set piece and dominant pack you can pretty much beat anyone, even with an average set of backs. If England can get their forward dominance back, combined with the very talented backs at our disposal, then we really could be right back at the top, but that is going to take time. I like what Jones is trying to do, and I hope it works.

Fair enough!
Maybe it's the memory of him getting put into orbit by Anthony Watson that's tarring my memory!

Haskell & Vunipola outstanding, Farrell & Nowell the pick of the backs.

Good start for Eddie Jones.

Scotland lacked killer instinct, and faded in the second half.

Haskell & Vunipola outstanding, Farrell & Nowell the pick of the backs.

Good start for Eddie Jones.

Scotland lacked killer instinct, and faded in the second half.

Haskell was passable as a 6 but frankly embarrassing as a 7. How many turnovers did our 7 make?

Haskell is the top tackler in the entire Six Nations, his defensive effort was outstanding. He put his body on the line time and again, emptying the tank.

I think some people are blinded by what they feel a player with the No.7 shirt on his back should be doing rather than watching the contribution he actually made.

You'll note that Eddie Jones singled him out for praise (unprompted).

Haskell is the top tackler in the entire Six Nations, his defensive effort was outstanding. He put his body on the line time and again, emptying the tank.
He made two more than Robshaw however what you said is wrong when compared to other teams.

Falateau, Roberts both made more tackles.

As for the blinded comments we use to the say the same about Robshaw but I think we've come to the conclusion that the argument just doesn't work after the world cup turnovers success (and in turn the breakdown) is one of the areas England are severely lacking in skill with.