• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 1: Scotland vs. England (06/02/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
6Nations.jpg

Scotland.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
England.png

Venue: BT Murrayfield
Time: 16:50 GMT

Teams

Scotland: TBA

England: TBA

Things I love about this time of year.

- Having a bitter in hand whilst singing along with both national anthems
- Literally feeling the bristling Murrayfield atmosphere through the surround sound speaker system
- Listening to Andy Nicol, the wonderfully misguided optimistic chap he is, state "this really could be Scotland's year!"
- Watching the excitement build right up until that first kick of the ball
- Feeling it slowly ebb away as the Scots realise that these English chaps are still rather good at rugby
- Hearing Andy graciously acknowledge that England were the better side in the first half and deserve their 12 point lead, but that there is still hope for Scotland yet
- Catching the third rendition of "Swing Low" swell around the home of Scottish rugby on the 60th minute as Watson crosses for his second to stretch the lead to 19
- The post-match interview with Laidlaw who thankfully remembered to bring his gallant loser face to work again
- Andy Nicol, his heart torn out once more by brutal reality, takes the defeat on the chin like a champ and bumbles off to some dark corner beyond the wall to repair his broken soul for next years clash of ***an and Tartan...

The only sensible prediction is an England win. I'm not saying its a foregone conclusion, but being the arrogant Englishman I am, I believe the England squad is a lot stronger than the Scottish squad. I'd like to see the likes of Itoje and Devoto come out to play in this galme, long version of my thoughts here: http://fourballsblog.blogspot.fr/2016/02/four-ballss-england-team-to-face.html, but really England's quality and Scotland's lack of ability to win a tough match should see England win by a decent margin.

Last year we could have put heaps more on them if it wasn't for Hogg, and he was the reason we didn't take home the ***le last year, great defence in the reverse fixture of this game and that botched try he had against Ireland.

Anyway, England by 15 - not going to be immediately thrashing them again but should be comfortable.

Screw false modesty and "we're rebuilding" "we've a new coach" "Scotland are always improving" - if we lose this then Jones is a ****ehawk.

Johnno and Lancaster both came 2nd in their first Six Nations tournaments, beating Scotland along the way. Anything less is a failure.

I don't want to predict a score line, however I do think England will win and will pull away in the latter stages.

It's going to be chilly and wet according to the weather stations so anythings possible.
England slow out of the traps but to win by 8.

Screw false modesty and "we're rebuilding" "we've a new coach" "Scotland are always improving" - if we lose this then Jones is a ****ehawk.

Johnno and Lancaster both came 2nd in their first Six Nations tournaments, beating Scotland along the way. Anything less is a failure.
Pretty much this England have under performed in recent years and still managed 2nd or 1st in the last 5 years. The squad he's picking hasn't changed that much from last year which came second....I can't think of a single reason to expect a Scotland win despite blind nationalism.

Things I love about this time of year.

- Feeling it slowly ebb away as the Scots realise that these English chaps are still rather good at rugby
- Hearing Andy graciously acknowledge that England were the better side in the first half and deserve their 12 point lead, but that there is still hope for Scotland yet
- Catching the third rendition of "Swing Low" swell around the home of Scottish rugby on the 60th minute as Watson crosses for his second to stretch the lead to 19
- The post-match interview with Laidlaw who thankfully remembered to bring his gallant loser face to work again
- Andy Nicol, his heart torn out once more by brutal reality, takes the defeat on the chin like a champ and bumbles off to some dark corner beyond the wall to repair his broken soul for next years clash of ***an and Tartan...

Sir, you are a tosser with quite an imagination it would seem. That's quite a fairytale ending you have fabricated there along with the rather unfounded suggestion that the general consensus in Scotland is that England aren't good at rugby.

Last edited:
England should look to win this and win convincingly. Scraping a win will not really be good enough. The team going out is pretty similar to the team that has convincingly beaten Scotland the last 2 years and there is no reason they should expect to do any less this year. I want the English players to make a real statement after the let down of the world cup, go out and do their best to not just win but to completely dominate, give the Scots no time at all in the game.

England should look to win this and win convincingly. Scraping a win will not really be good enough. The team going out is pretty similar to the team that has convincingly beaten Scotland the last 2 years and there is no reason they should expect to do any less this year. I want the English players to make a real statement after the let down of the world cup, go out and do their best to not just win but to completely dominate, give the Scots no time at all in the game.

Yes, after the disappointment of the World Cup, they simply must hit the ground running and win emphatically.
Do we know who the ref is?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes we do : http://www.sareferees.com/News/referees-for-6-nations-2016/2830546/

Hope they have a cross of St George on the pitch this time

Yeah I'm suprised so many people missed that. The only game at Murrayfield where the visitors flags weren't shown, infact the only game in the 6N I've ever seen where only the host flags were shown. Couple that with booing the anthem and booing England off the pitch, it made me lose a lot of respect for Scottish rugby.

Lacey is the only referee I didn't want us to have because he's crap . Even the Irish don't rate him ......

I remember watching him at the World Cup when he basically won Scotland the game against Samoa

We have Lacey, brilliant. Useless!

From this, I have a feeling wearing my England shirt should not be advised at murrayfield.

Yeah I'm suprised so many people missed that. The only game at Murrayfield where the visitors flags weren't shown, infact the only game in the 6N I've ever seen where only the host flags were shown. Couple that with booing the anthem and booing England off the pitch, it made me lose a lot of respect for Scottish rugby.

Yeah there is always a lack of class at murreyfield, if it's not brave heart reenactments they are making little gestures like not showing our flag. Makes the look on Alex Salmond's face all the funnier when he's handing the Calcutta cup to the English captain.

Jones has selected his 23 with two travelling reserves:

Forwards (13):

Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens).

Backs (10):

Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Alex Goode (Saracens), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Travelling reserves (2):

Maro Itoje (Saracens), Elliot Daly (Wasps)

Sir, you are a tosser with quite an imagination it would seem. That's quite a fairytale ending you have fabricated there along with the rather unfounded suggestion that the general consensus in Scotland is that England aren't good at rugby.
The words Richard and head come to mind. I f England are no good what do you call the lower ranks. You play well with other things it would seem, let's see if you can free your hands long enough to beat us. In that instance I will admit England must be cr*p.

Jones has selected his 23 with two travelling reserves:

Forwards (13):

Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints), George Kruis (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens).

Backs (10):

Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Ollie Devoto (Bath Rugby), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Alex Goode (Saracens), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Travelling reserves (2):

Maro Itoje (Saracens), Elliot Daly (Wasps)

Surprised he's kept Hill, despite calling Brookes back into the squad.
I know Hill has been playing well, and has oodles of potential, but he's still a 20yr old tighthead with only a handful of top flight games under his belt. And especially after what he's said about Itoje.

Latest posts