• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies Squad for Samoa and Tri Nations

15 Beale 14 oconnor 13 Ashley Cooper 12 giteau 11 ionie 10 Cooper 9 genia What do you reckon the tri nations backline will be? This is without Mitchell being considered. I also think that gits has had a very solid season in an underperforming side. He deserves to be in the 22 at least. he played with a lot of heart. I wouldn't mind if they tried faingaa in one of the centre spots be it inside or outside.
Personally I'd go with a backline of 9. Genia, 10. Cooper, 11. Ioane, 12. Faingaa, 13. Ashley-Cooper, 14. O'Connor, 15. Beale. By the sounds of it though Deans is keen to use O'Coonor at 12, meaning Turner will likely get a start on the right wing.

Yeah I agree with each suggestion. They are all possible and it is hard to tell what the best backline will be because of all the versatility. Either way deans will get it pretty spot on.

Ben Alexander
Saia Faingaa
slipper
horwill
sharpe
elsom...i guess
Pocock
Higginbotham
Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Digby Ioane
O'Connor
Faingaa
Ashley-Cooper
Beale

If I were to pick an Aussie team;

1 Ben Alexander
2 TPN
3 Sekope Kepu
4 James Horwill
5 Nathan Sharpe (c)
6 Scott Higginbotham
7 David Pocock
8 Radike Samo (havn't seen Palu this year really)
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Digby Iaone (hope Mtchell makes it to the RWC)
12 JOC
13 AAC
14 Rod Davies (I put a lot of value in pace, especially with the playmakers throughout the Aus backline)
15 Kurtley Beale

16 Ben Robinson
17 Stephen Moore
18 Mark Chisholm (I feel he should have been selected)
19 Rocky Elsom
20 Luke Burgess
21 Matt Giteau
22 Mark Gerrard

1 Ben Alexander
2 TPN
3 Sekope Kepu
4 James Horwill
5 Nathan Sharpe (c)
6 Scott Higginbotham
7 David Pocock
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
12 JOC
13 AAC
14 Rod Davies (I put a lot of value in pace, especially with the playmakers throughout the Aus backline)
15 Kurtley Beale

16 Ben Robinson
17 Stephen Moore
19 Rocky Elsom
20 Luke Burgess
21 Matt Giteau
22 Mark Gerrard

I agree with a lot of that team. I'm not at all convinced about Davies yet though; he's certainly got pace, but he seems to struggle when takes the ball into contact, and looked a bit weak on defence... I'd be more inclined to go for someone like Lachie Turner, who has plenty of pace (though not as much as Davies) but is an exceptional defensive player. I actually prefer to have O'Connor on the wing, as Cooper always seems to play better with a crash ball option outside, rather than another creative player.

I'm not a big fan of Samo either; he's been good for the Reds, but I'd much prefer someone like McCalman, who was great for the Wallabies last season. Chisholm has been ruled out for the rest of the season with injury, otherwise he would have been included in the Wallabies squad.

I really hope AAC isn't used on the wing ever - he's been wasted there during Super Rugby
Best positions are 13 and 15 (and he's not better than Beale at 15 so 13 it is)

I really hope AAC isn't used on the wing ever - he's been wasted there during Super Rugby
Best positions are 13 and 15 (and he's not better than Beale at 15 so 13 it is)

I agree completely, AAC is wasted on the wing - I couldn't understand why the Brumbies insisted on playing him there. He should be the Wallabies starting centre at the RWC (because, as you say, Beale is a certainty at fullback).

Talk about a back line full of play makers and pace. Manu Samoa will need to come up quick on defence to try and shut down the Wallaby attack.

9 Will Genia 9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10 Quade Cooper 10. Tusi Pisi
11 Digby Iaone 11. Alesana Tuilagi
12 JOC 12. Seilala Mapusua
13 AAC 13. George Pisi
14 Rod Davies 14. Sailosi Tagicakibau
15 Kurtley Beale 15. Paul Williams

Samoan back line should be able to hold their own. Am expecting some big hits on Cooper and Beale. Fotuali'i, Mapusua, Williams & Tuilagi especially.

1 Ben Alexander
2 TPN
3 Sekope Kepu
4 James Horwill
5 Nathan Sharpe (c)
6 Scott Higginbotham
7 David Pocock
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
12 JOC
13 AAC
15 Kurtley Beale

16 Ben Robinson
17 Stephen Moore
19 Rocky Elsom
20 Luke Burgess
21 Matt Giteau
22 Mark Gerrard

Apart from Chisholm who'd picked up a heavy long-time injury (ligament), I agree with your selection.
Waiting for Mitchell and Elsom, I'd go probably with the same team, maybe Robinson starting ahead of Alexander, just because Alexander could cover also tighthead spot for a quarter of the game.
But once Elsom will be back, I think he would be in the starting XV, with Higginbotham shifted to 8man.

Davies, if well fit, would be a very good option on the wing: he has pace (fastest player in Super Rugby, Habana now wouldn't be able to beat my 95yo grandma), he's quick, but he has also a great footwork and good sidestep (look at his third try against Blues), it's a kind of JOC.
Only I've seen him a little fragile in defence... not a great tackler. So Turner can fix this point...

I agree with a lot of that team. I'm not at all convinced about Davies yet though; he's certainly got pace, but he seems to struggle when takes the ball into contact, and looked a bit weak on defence... I'd be more inclined to go for someone like Lachie Turner, who has plenty of pace (though not as much as Davies) but is an exceptional defensive player. I actually prefer to have O'Connor on the wing, as Cooper always seems to play better with a crash ball option outside, rather than another creative player.

I'm not a big fan of Samo either; he's been good for the Reds, but I'd much prefer someone like McCalman, who was great for the Wallabies last season. Chisholm has been ruled out for the rest of the season with injury, otherwise he would have been included in the Wallabies squad.
Says the Zac "Driven Back" Guildford fan.

If I were to pick an Aussie team;1 Ben Alexander2 TPN3 Sekope Kepu4 James Horwill5 Nathan Sharpe (c)6 Scott Higginbotham7 David Pocock8 Radike Samo (havn't seen Palu this year really)9 Will Genia10 Quade Cooper11 Digby Iaone (hope Mtchell makes it to the RWC)12 JOC13 AAC14 Rod Davies (I put a lot of value in pace, especially with the playmakers throughout the Aus backline)15 Kurtley Beale16 Ben Robinson17 Stephen Moore18 Mark Chisholm (I feel he should have been selected)19 Rocky Elsom20 Luke Burgess21 Matt Giteau22 Mark Gerrard
No Slipper anywhere in that team, bit of a surprise he is a fantastic prop.

Says the Zac "Driven Back" Guildford fan.

Guildford is not the most physical player (especially compared to the likes of Gear and Rokocoko) , but he doesn't get driven back anywhere near as much as you suggest (in fact I've seen Sean Maitland get driven back at least as much this year). The problem with Davies is not necessarily that he gets driven back, but rather his getting the ball ripped off him in contact; I saw this happen twice in the final, and once in the semi versus the Blues.

In any case I'm not really a huge Guildford fan (though I do probably prefer him over most of the NZ wings) - I think he deserves to be in the AB's squad based on his form this season, but wouldn't have been too worried had he not made it. I am a huge Toeava fan, and I'm slightly obsessed with Ben Smith :p

Davies would get smashed by Tullagi.

I think Tuilagi first has to reach Davies, then he can try to smash him.

I didn't see so many ripped ball off Davies in the final, I remember one from a high ball...
But I remember he scored his 3rd try against the Blues, breaking 2 tackles, one from Brett and one from Mealamu.
Ok utlimately, only Mealamu's one... :D

Saw an article which thinks Gerrard will start over Beale at FB

Wonder if one of Beale or JOC will start at 10 over Quade, as a chance to try them out internationally before the WC and them (potentially) being forced in by injury to QC

Saw an article which thinks Gerrard will start over Beale at FB

Wonder if one of Beale or JOC will start at 10 over Quade, as a chance to try them out internationally before the WC and them (potentially) being forced in by injury to QC

Sounds like Beale is still struggling with a knee injury. Foxsports have suggested that Australia will field a very experimental side against Samoa - it will be interesting to see what sort of side they put out.

The lineup has been announced on the rugby heaven site. Ben Robinson has done his knee and is apparently out for the wc. Ah hell, there goes our best scrummager.

The lineup has been announced on the rugby heaven site. Ben Robinson has done his knee and is apparently out for the wc. Ah hell, there goes our best scrummager.

Really unfortunate for him and Aussie fans, but as a kiwi this is great news.
I really don't follow much Australian rugby; how good was he compared to other Australian players and international props?

Latest posts