• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies Squad for Samoa and Tri Nations

Australia: 15 Mark Gerrard, 14 James O'Connor, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Pat McCabe, 11 Digby Ioane, 10 Matt Giteau, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Ben McCalman, 7 Matt Hodgson, 6 Rocky Elsom (c), 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Sitaleki Timani, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Sekope Kepu.
Replacements: 16 James Hanson, 17 Dan Vickerman, 18 Scott Higginbotham, 19 Beau Robinson, 20 Will Genia, 21 Kurtley Beale, 22 TBC.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_7034330,00.html

T
he bench prop is still to be determined. Anyone finding odd the 5/2 split in the bench?

Australia: 15 Mark Gerrard, 14 James O'Connor, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Pat McCabe, 11 Digby Ioane, 10 Matt Giteau, 9 Nick Phipps, 8 Ben McCalman, 7 Matt Hodgson, 6 Rocky Elsom (c), 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Sitaleki Timani, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Sekope Kepu.
Replacements: 16 James Hanson, 17 Dan Vickerman, 18 Scott Higginbotham, 19 Beau Robinson, 20 Will Genia, 21 Kurtley Beale, 22 TBC.

T
he bench prop is still to be determined. Anyone finding odd the 5/2 split in the bench?

Geez, thats a pretty hardout team. I think they're coming out to thrash us, but no. Backfire.

Oh yeah!!!
hahaha I missed Higginbotham with Robinson!!
Sorry mate, my bad!!

Well I think that Elsom isn't already 100% fit, so maybe he will play a half, with Higginbotham (rested for a while) could come as his substitute in the second half!

I was hoping for a starting Radike Samo, but maybe at 35, he's the one of the Reds players who needs more resting time!

Hope to see him in the 3N, he deserves a chance and I think Deans will give him!

Last edited:
im hoping the reason the team is so poor is that Robbie deans is giving some of the players who he would not play against south Africa or new Zealand a go

Should be a good game, Elsom should not have been names Captain; he has barely come back from injury. They should have given it to Sharpe! The guy plays for a losing team and still seems to get some amazing performances from his teammates and great close call losses while still keeping spirits high.

T

As the Wallabies have plenty of versatility in their backline, Deans has used a 5/2 split quite a bit in recent years. It is yet to be seen whether he will do this with his top team, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Robinson in a huge loss for the Wallabies! Al Baxter and Pek Cowan are currently in the squad as cover. It will probably mean that Ben Daley will make the Aussie RWC squad; Daley still struggles a bit at scrum time, but he has a huge work-rate around the field.

Looking forward to this game. Australia have a very strong team and will prove a big challenge for Samoa in all facets of the game. Just hope that Samoa can compete for the full 80 minutes. Have seen the Samoan team in the PNC but this is a big step up and Samoa should field there strongest team.

Samoan back line should really test and give there Wallaby counterparts a good test. Wallabies don't have the strongest scrum in the world but should still be able to dominate up front. A big call to play Elsom after how many games? Will be a physical battle and if Samoa can get good clean ball then the Wallabies will be tested.

Go Manu!!

19061.jpg

Getty Images / ESPN

Has the Samoa 22 been named yet? If so please post.

Teams for tomorrow:

[TABLE="width: 100%"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]15. Mark Gerrard[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]Melbourne Rebels[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]14. Rod Davies[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]Queensland Reds[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]13. Adam Ashley-Cooper[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]Brumbies[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]12. Pat McCabe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]11. Digby Ioane[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]Queensland Reds[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]10. Matt Giteau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]9. Nick Phipps[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]Melbourne Rebels[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]8. Ben McCalman[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]Western Force[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]7. Matt Hodgson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]6. Rocky Elsom[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]5. Nathan Sharpe[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]4. Sitaleki Timani[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]NSW Waratahs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]3. Ben Alexander[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]2. Stephen Moore[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]1. Sekope Kepu[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #D0D0D0"]NSW Waratahs[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Samoa:

1-Zac Taulafo
2-Mahonri Schwalger(c)
3-Anthony Perenise
4-Kane Thompson
5-Daniel Leo
6-Taiasina Tuifua
7-Maurie Faasavalu
8-George Stowers
9-Kahn Fotualii
10-Tusi Pisi
11-Alex Tuilagi
12-Seilala Maposua
13-George Pisi
14-Sailosi Tagicakibau
15-Paul Williams

I reckon it will be within 10 points at HT, but Wallabies to win by 25. But the game should be won in the forwards, Hodgeson, McCalman and Elsom all fighting for a Tri-Nations spot play well.

My thoughts on the Wallabies team after todays performance

1. Alexander (not certain on his tight work)
2. Moore (Taf to come off the bench as an impact player)
3. Slipper (Think he has the goods)
4. Horwill (As Captain)
5. Sharpe(He is great in the lineout but if he doesn't stand up in the Tri nations should be dropped)
6. Higginbotham (His form speaks for itself)
7. pocock (first picked)
8. McCalman (i liked in super rugby and think he has copped an unfair rap in todays game)
9. Genia (clearly)
10. Cooper (hope he doesnt get injured)
11. Ioane (his ability to beat a tackle is needed and shear pace as davies shouldnt make it back for a while)
12. Barnes (If he is fit or O'connor otherwise)
13. Faingaa (solid defence and will always give his best)
14. O'Connor (Turner if JOC plays 12)
15. Beale (It means if Cooper drops to 15 in defence Beale can step in at 10 on the break)
16. Taf
17. Daley
18. Vickerman (Come on late as an experienced cool head)
19. Elsom (Can play 6 or 8 and McCalman can play 7 if Pocock gets injured)
20. Burgess
21. McCabe (Was solid today and should improve in the wallaby camp)
22. Turner (Gerrard or AACooper if Turner starts.. They both have been hopeless but versatility needed)

Thoughts would be appreciated

Agree with 20-21/22.

I think AUS need a playmaker outside, in 12 position.

McCabe did well against Samoa, but together with AAC/Fainga'a on the pitch are a little waste: once you stopped n.10 options (whoever will be), the backline will have no idea to what to do with the ball.

That's why Giteau should be at least on the bench...

Also: maybe this wasn't the right match, but Kepu did well... I'd have him on the bench (he can cover 1 and 3).

Horwill or Genia (or even Sharpe if plays well in 3N) for captain... though Elsom today in the 2nd half played quite well and hungry for rugby, after all he missed all 2011 rugby but 35', but it seems he can't captain his team.

Alexander
Moore
Slipper
Horwill
Sharpe
Higginbotham (6 in defence, 8man in attacking scrums)
Pocock
Elsom (if he will be captain) / McCalman
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Giteau (waiting for Barnes, he's the best option)
Fainga'a
O'Connor
Beale

TPN
Kepu
Vickerman (agree) or Simmons
McCalman/Elsom
Burgess
Ashley-Cooper
Turner

But I think during the 3N AAC (player who I really loved when he played 13) can "recall" his memories in this position and find his best form and regaining the starting spot; I also expect Mitchell will be fit in time for RWC and you can't ignore him; McCalman has to stand up constantly at the highest level, if not, would be interesting to see on the pitch both Pocock and Robinson (kind of Smith and Waugh in 2003)!

Agree with 20-21/22.

I think AUS need a playmaker outside, in 12 position.

McCabe did well against Samoa, but together with AAC/Fainga'a on the pitch are a little waste: once you stopped n.10 options (whoever will be), the backline will have no idea to what to do with the ball.

That's why Giteau should be at least on the bench...

Also: maybe this wasn't the right match, but Kepu did well... I'd have him on the bench (he can cover 1 and 3).

Horwill or Genia (or even Sharpe if plays well in 3N) for captain... though Elsom today in the 2nd half played quite well and hungry for rugby, after all he missed all 2011 rugby but 35', but it seems he can't captain his team.

Alexander
Moore
Slipper
Horwill
Sharpe
Higginbotham (6 in defence, 8man in attacking scrums)
Pocock
Elsom (if he will be captain) / McCalman
Genia
Cooper
Ioane
Giteau (waiting for Barnes, he's the best option)
Fainga'a
O'Connor
Beale

TPN
Kepu
Vickerman (agree) or Simmons
McCalman/Elsom
Burgess
Ashley-Cooper
Turner

But I think during the 3N AAC (player who I really loved when he played 13) can "recall" his memories in this position and find his best form and regaining the starting spot; I also expect Mitchell will be fit in time for RWC and you can't ignore him; McCalman has to stand up constantly at the highest level, if not, would be interesting to see on the pitch both Pocock and Robinson (kind of Smith and Waugh in 2003)!

In the Samoa game Australia may have benefited from having another playmaker at 12, but I don't think this is always the case. Genia is very much a playmaker at halfback, while Phipps (who started v Samoa) is not. In addition Quade Cooper is far more individualistic than Giteau - whoever plays outside Cooper isn't going to get the chance to be a playmaker, as Cooper is either going to try to put them through a gap, or simply skip the ball past them. Therefore the main job of the Australian 12 in my opinion is going to be hitting gaps, crashing the ball up, and defending strongly - that's why I'd be more inclined to pick Faingaa or McCabe rather than O'Coonor or Giteau.

My thoughts on the Wallabies team after todays performance

1. Alexander (not certain on his tight work)
2. Moore (Taf to come off the bench as an impact player)
3. Slipper (Think he has the goods)
4. Horwill (As Captain)
5. Sharpe(He is great in the lineout but if he doesn't stand up in the Tri nations should be dropped)
6. Higginbotham (His form speaks for itself)
7. pocock (first picked)
8. McCalman (i liked in super rugby and think he has copped an unfair rap in todays game)
9. Genia (clearly)
10. Cooper (hope he doesnt get injured)
11. Ioane (his ability to beat a tackle is needed and shear pace as davies shouldnt make it back for a while)
12. Barnes (If he is fit or O'connor otherwise)
13. Faingaa (solid defence and will always give his best)
14. O'Connor (Turner if JOC plays 12)
15. Beale (It means if Cooper drops to 15 in defence Beale can step in at 10 on the break)
16. Taf
17. Daley
18. Vickerman (Come on late as an experienced cool head)
19. Elsom (Can play 6 or 8 and McCalman can play 7 if Pocock gets injured)
20. Burgess
21. McCabe (Was solid today and should improve in the wallaby camp)
22. Turner (Gerrard or AACooper if Turner starts.. They both have been hopeless but versatility needed)

Thoughts would be appreciated

I'm no aussie expery but I'd have O'Connor at 12 over barnes anyday. though you're kinda hinting that as an option anyway.

Aus have another playmaker in Beale, althought at 12 he can easily slot in when needed. The reason I had Barnes over O'Connor is too have him on the wing. With Beale at fullback he would be counterattacking regularly and injecting himself in the line. O'Connor is a very capable fullback and would be able to cover this. If Ioane is the other winger with Turner, neither have a very strong kick.. Turner does pull off some goodones but does not have the control or accuracy of O'Connor

In the Samoa game Australia may have benefited from having another playmaker at 12, but I don't think this is always the case. Genia is very much a playmaker at halfback, while Phipps (who started v Samoa) is not. In addition Quade Cooper is far more individualistic than Giteau - whoever plays outside Cooper isn't going to get the chance to be a playmaker, as Cooper is either going to try to put them through a gap, or simply skip the ball past them. Therefore the main job of the Australian 12 in my opinion is going to be hitting gaps, crashing the ball up, and defending strongly - that's why I'd be more inclined to pick Faingaa or McCabe rather than O'Coonor or Giteau.

This is not the point.
One more playmaker doesn't mean he should always be outside the flyhalf!

What makes difference sometimes, is when you have split the field, with 2 sides where attack, and sending a good playmaker (12) to one of these sides, he must have good hands, sharpe boot and should be a decision maker.

Once he is outside Cooper, he can be skipped with some movements that put others in space...
Wallabies need this kind of player because they have a open-style game, with dynamic forwards and very talented backs capable of reading each situation, they don't need pure crashing-power among the backs (but they need it in the forward!! where they really lack of)!
"Penetration" means to pass the defence line, not necessarly to go straight into it and win the collision!

The best games Australia played in 2010, have always been played in this way, with these kind of players. Look at vs. France, vs. All Blacks in Sydney and HK, even those strange games played in the highveld against SA: great tries were scored by backs running different lines, 2 or 3 passes, no more, but well executed and great decisions taken by playmakers, QC (10) or Giteau/Barnes (12).
When QC were involved in rucks or tackled (or they just got switched), there were someone else to take stand-off duties and deliver the job:
Ashley-Cooper vs. France, Ashley-Cooper in Hong Kong, Drew Mitchell in Hong Kong, Drew Mitchell vs. SA (Brisbane and highveld), O'Connor vs. SA...

This is (or at least has been) the most effective Oz backline combination. There are no doubts about that.

And let me say Beale can't be the outside playmaker, because he is a NATURAL talent in the open spaces, this has already been spot by all media and forums, his great capability of counter-attack, finding spaces in broken play are the biggest reason he's the best option at fullback for Australia.
And the best fullback in world rugby.
If Beale should be involved in the tight stage of a phase, near to the rucks/mauls, he will lose 50% of his efficacy!

He need to be involved in plays after n.12 and even after 13 if blindside wing will come into the backline!

Last edited:

Latest posts