• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa v Portugal - 20 July 2024

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Bok side announced. Very little ITO settled combination but still a few "big" name players. Bloemfontein is probably going to see Libbok and SFM do some practice at taking conversions. I hope.

Springbok team to face Portugal in Bloemfontein:
15 – Aphelele Fassi (Hollywoodbets Sharks) - 4 caps, 10 points (2t)
14 – Kurt-Lee Arendse (Vodacom Bulls) - 17 caps, 70 points (14t)
13 – Lukhanyo Am (Hollywoodbets Sharks) - 35 caps, 30 pts (6t)
12 – Andre Esterhuizen (Hollywoodbets Sharks) - 17 caps, 0 pts
11 – Makazole Mapimpi (Hollywoodbets Sharks) - 42 caps, 135 points (27t)
10 – Manie Libbok (DHL Stormers) - 14 caps, 87 pts (1t, 26c, 10p)
9 – Cobus Reinach (Montpellier) - 32 caps, 65 pts (13t)
8 – Evan Roos (DHL Stormers) - 6 caps, 0 points
7 – Ben-Jason Dixon (DHL Stormers) – 1 cap, 0 points
6 – Phepsi Buthelezi (Hollywoodbets Sharks) - uncapped
5 – RG Snyman (Leinster) - 36 caps, 10 points (2t)
4 – Salmaan Moerat (captain, DHL Stormers) - 6 caps, 0 points
3 – Thomas du Toit (Bath) - 18 caps, 0 pts
2 – Johan Grobbelaar (Vodacom Bulls) - uncapped
1 – Jan-Hendrik Wessels (Vodacom Bulls) - uncapped
Replacements:
16 – Andre-Hugo Venter (DHL Stormers) - uncapped
17 – Ntuthuko Mchunu (Hollywoodbets Sharks) - 2 caps, 0 points
18 – Trevor Nyakane (Hollywoodbets Sharks) - 67 caps, 5 pts (1t)
19 – Ruan Venter (Emirates Lions) - uncapped
20 – Elrigh Louw (Vodacom Bulls) – 3 caps, 0 points
21 – Morne van den Berg (Emirates Lions) – uncapped
22 – Sacha Feinberg-Mngomezulu (DHL Stormers) - 3 caps, 7 points (2c, 1p)
23 – Quan Horn (Emirates Lions) – uncapped

Am and Snyman make most professionals look like children. Wonder what they'll do to semi-pros.

Portugal are firmly tier two now but this will probably be a tough one for them.

One would expect something like an 80 - 10 romping I think at semi-altitude in Bloem and at home. Good game for Am to get back into it. A decent mix of fringe players and up-and-commers alongside a sprinkling of experienced campaigners some who are more toward the end of their careers.

Esterhuizen has just spent 4 years in the prem terrorising internationals, I imagine the semi-pros will not fare as well 🤣

Well after the RWC everyone loved Portugal and was crying out for them to play better teams more regularly.

But getting smashed against A teams of Eng and the Boks is too much in at the deep end. Learning needs to be more gradual, but overall it's a step in the right direction and on balance it's better that they play these games than not. With the not insubstantial caveat around the risk of injury for semi pros against the big boys.

It was Portugal A playing against Eng A, not their main team. I think this is an amazing learning experience for Portugal and very needed if you wanna grow the game of rugby!

One would expect something like an 80 - 10 romping I think at semi-altitude in Bloem and at home. Good game for Am to get back into it. A decent mix of fringe players and up-and-commers alongside a sprinkling of experienced campaigners some who are more toward the end of their careers.
My 80 10 prediction is going to be a long way off if we don't get the discipline and accuracy up.

Considering the two cards RSA are going through them like they're not even there.

Fun game
Tier 1 vs Tier 2 they should have a handicap of the ranking difference,
Portugal having an extra 14pts makes it 64 - 35, which is more respectable - though the red definitely played it's part

Portugal play a lovely brand of rugby tbf to them, hope they continue to get matches like this and improve from the experience

Wasn't keen on the commentators on the game - lot of World Cup winners medals in this Bok side, playing against a lot of semi-pro players

Well, the Portuguese 23 scored two tries in one game vs what is a Bok 23 where many fans would prefer the fresher face. An beautiful tries they were. That's two more than Lomu ever managed over numerous games.

I suppose I can see the point of these games. I mean, if I were a player I would certainly like having a go at the top sides. Assuming there is continuous developments I could see Portugal doing a Japan against us. The defensive organization in the outside channels is what let them down and where most of the disparity was.