• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa v Ireland - 6 July 2024

Gosh they didn't really check that Doris try much to call it held up.

Doesn't matter now with Murray scoring

That SA scrum is lethal, needs nerfing, proper cheat code.

Ireland are going backwards. We used to put together error free rugby (even under pressure) but we made a tonne of mistakes today. A bit like Leinster.

It's annoying that this is only a two match series. I'd love to see three.

Ireland are going backwards. We used to put together error free rugby (even under pressure) but we made a tonne of mistakes today. A bit like Leinster.
It's tough playing at altitude. The physics is different. That said, the Irish team has more experience than ever at that ground. I just wish there were three matches in the series

It's tough playing at altitude. The physics is different. That said, the Irish team has more experience than ever at that ground. I just wish there were three matches in the series
They don't want to play three, they are playing down this series as it stands

I could have sworn Ireland's record in RSA was 1-9 or thereabouts.

Not sure Ireland's main problem is about preparation, skill, grassroots, planning, pressure nor execution. It appears to be about expectations.

You are a strong team, no doubt, and with a bit of luck you can beat anyone. But if you play South Africa in South Africa, today, odds are you will lose.

I'm not sure that's a relevant factor to be honest. Ireland look like Leinster to me and this stuff has been worsening with them recently. We're error prone now which is a huge departure.

I could have sworn Ireland's record in RSA was 1-9 or thereabouts.

Not sure Ireland's main problem is about preparation, skill, grassroots, planning, pressure nor execution. It appears to be about expectations.

You are a strong team, no doubt, and with a bit of luck you can beat anyone. But if you play South Africa in South Africa, today, odds are you will lose.
No. I'm not considering the opposition or the result. It's what we're seeing on the pitch that concerns me. No patterns, handling errors, balls hitting grass, poor discipline,... it's not what we've come to expect from this Ireland team. Like i said in my follow up comment, it's what we're seeing with Leinster too. What REALLY concerns me is that it might get worse.

Just to be clear (if anyone is touchy)... even if we get it right i'm not saying we win. Leinster played games at their best against La Rochelle and lost. Ireland played their game against NZ and lost. It's actually testamnent to the courage of the team that they kept themselves in that game today. The errors gave them no platform to play.

Front rowers both sides of the bench coming on were good except Malherbe who should be awake to Porter moving back before the push and got found out twice. It's not like Koch, Louw or Du Toit aren't excellent at the scrum. Time to move on IMO.

Etzebeth and Mostert were excellent. Snyman tried to force things but settled. Moerat I didn't see much. And not in the unsung Mostert way. I'd rather see another backs replacement please.

Good enough from our loosies even if I think Ireland are slightly better there. Especially at the rucks both sides of the ball.

Backline went well. Industrious on attack and excellent in defense. Took an exceptional passage to unlock the backline defense. Pollard missing too many penalties took all the early pressure off of Ireland though. If 60 percent is what we are getting we might as well have Libbok there not that I am advocating for that mind you. Was hoping for more than 6 minutes for SFM but understand the rationale of keeping Pollard on. 11 to 15 were excellent. Very few errors.

I think that's a good result for Ireland considering who they had missing, and it being their first game since the 6N and at altitude

Tbh I was expecting SA to run rampant as it went on

I think that's a good result for Ireland considering who they had missing, and it being their first game since the 6N and at altitude

TBF It's pretty much SA first big game since the RWC isn't it?

TBF It's pretty much SA first big game since the RWC isn't it?
Yeah that's true,
Be interesting to know if players find a 6N 4 months ago is better/worse than a game two weeks ago

Feel like the boks are such a well oiled machine at the moment they don't really need the battle hardening/gameplan cementing, just blow the cobwebs off and they're ready

No. I'm not considering the opposition or the result. It's what we're seeing on the pitch that concerns me. No patterns, handling errors, balls hitting grass, poor discipline,... it's not what we've come to expect from this Ireland team. Like i said in my follow up comment, it's what we're seeing with Leinster too. What REALLY concerns me is that it might get worse.

Just to be clear (if anyone is touchy)... even if we get it right i'm not saying we win. Leinster played games at their best against La Rochelle and lost. Ireland played their game against NZ and lost. It's actually testamnent to the courage of the team that they kept themselves in that game today. The errors gave them no platform to play.
It's the opposition's quality which forces you too play in a certain way, if you play against Namibia you would be scoring all the time and be looking very good

Yeah it being their first game since the six nations, so long ago... Not like it was the last competition that existed in the international landscape since the world cup.

Yeah it being their first game since the six nations, so long ago... Not like it was the last competition that existed in the international landscape since the world cup.
You played Wales like two weeks ago, were at home and were massive betting favourites

Ireland getting a (theoretical) losing bonus points is a good result for them - all I'm saying

Latest posts