• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

South Africa v Ireland - 13 July 2024

Proud of our boys despite the result. The inaccuracies of last week continues. We really need to start converting our chances better. Not the manner or position I wanted to see SFM get his minutes but the boy has it in him to turn games. Hope he gets the time at 10 for the Stormers as well with Willemse at either 12 or 15 depending on Gelants form but I'm getting off topic.

Congratulations on getting the Raeburn back Ireland - now please keep hold of it, at least until the 6N!

Love this man. Same level as Schmidt and a grand slam or successful world cup away from being our best of all time.

SA are the best until they're not and today wasn't proof that they're not. Just lost to another very good rugby team by the finest margin possible.

Great game, and series. Congratulations Ireland - deserved to win today. SA gave away 17 points from goal line dropouts over 2 games. Almost cost them game 1, and did cost them game 2.

Just seen the result, big up the Irish - that's huge for them with the injuries they've got and the long season the NH sides have had

Just watched the reply. Great win by Ireland! I will say that 22, and especially 23, were superb for SA in the second half.

Well done Ireland.
Two very entertaining Test matches and probably fair to have won one each.

England really did drop the ball with not getting Farrell back in.

Ireland will grow in these next 4 years, and I would be amazed if they are not semi finalists at the very least at the next RWC. Been really good team to watch.

Agree with TAB on not really liking Frawley and McCloskey as our back subs. In general we're lacking a lot of impact off this bench. Good players but only really trust Baird and maybe McCloskey or POM to bring any game breaking potential at the moment

Um…..

England really did drop the ball with not getting Farrell back in.

Ireland will grow in these next 4 years, and I would be amazed if they are not semi finalists at the very least at the next RWC. Been really good team to watch.

I don't think too many Irish fans or players get caught up on the QF thing as much as fans. We've only been a top 4 team for the last three and missed out through an injury crisis in 2015 and horror draws. 2023 hurt because we were capable of winning it without needing to be lucky and then choked and played Barnes very poorly (not sure there was much to do different there though). I don't think we'll hit that level for awhile again but should remain at the top table.

In the same period Welsh, English and Argentinian sides who definitely weren't as good as our 2023 team and some who weren't as good as our 2015 team reached semis by beating a Brunel French team, Gatland on return and Fiji. There's more examples too.

A semi final will but when you look at 10 years ago, we hadn't beaten NZ, won a test match in the SH against a tri nations side since 78 and only had two grand slams, the trajectory is to win world cups rather than win a QF.

I don't think too many Irish fans or players get caught up on the QF thing as much as fans. We've only been a top 4 team for the last three and missed out through an injury crisis in 2015 and horror draws. 2023 hurt because we were capable of winning it without needing to be lucky and then choked and played Barnes very poorly (not sure there was much to do different there though). I don't think we'll hit that level for awhile again but should remain at the top table.

In the same period Welsh, English and Argentinian sides who definitely weren't as good as our 2023 team and some who weren't as good as our 2015 team reached semis by beating a Brunel French team, Gatland on return and Fiji. There's more examples too.

A semi final will but when you look at 10 years ago, we hadn't beaten NZ, won a test match in the SH against a tri nations side since 78 and only had two grand slams, the trajectory is to win world cups rather than win a QF.

IDK I certainly feel like after the last world cup it will be in players heads a lot more.
In 18/2019 you had beaten the AB's for the first time, and for the first time reached number one ranked team in the world. But against the AB's they put nearly 50 on you. I get the draw was unlucky for 2023 but if the goal is to win you gonna need to beat one of those teams at least.

I feel at this point it is a monkey on the back and I feel that honestly the first time you shake it off will be the time you win the whole thing.

IDK I certainly feel like after the last world cup it will be in players heads a lot more.
In 18/2019 you had beaten the AB's for the first time, and for the first time reached number one ranked team in the world. But against the AB's they put nearly 50 on you. I get the draw was unlucky for 2023 but if the goal is to win you gonna need to beat one of those teams at least.

I feel at this point it is a monkey on the back and I feel that honestly the first time you shake it off will be the time you win the whole thing.
I agree with that, it'll be nervy when it happens in all liklihood. Probably similar to the 2023 Grand slam which was a poor performance by the standards that team had set. It was nervy in October and it was just enough to lose a game we should have won.

I more mean that the QF as a point of achievement being a bigger deal to opposition fans than Ireland fans. Like when you contextualise it, we haven't been at the level to expect it before 2015 and have never got a draw as easy as Wales have for example to reach their two in the pro era in that time. We're topping pools as regularly as anyone since the 07 disaster, just have to expect something will fall for us sooner rather than later.

Finally managed to catch up on all the games. Seriously pleased for Ireland. Fantastic end to the season, which has been good for Irish rugby. Just not exactly where they want to be.

To end it with a gusty performance like that is pretty impressive.