• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 19/20 - Round 4

Finally got round to watching the Bath-Northampton game, good performance from Bath especially with a man down. Found some fluidity in attack, clearly the game plan is muscle, but felt like we were starting to add a tiny bit of handling in the right areas. Superb guts to win that second half a man down.

I really, really didn't think much of the Brew red card though, honestly not even convinced it's even a penalty. Is that just my bias - what's the neutral view?

1:04 in the highlights

The player he strikes is not the ball carrier, Brew raised his arm deliberately into a position to strike the player, he's then struck the player in the neck with force. If you look at his reaction he knows he's done something stupid too... It's a 100% red card all day long (the framework makes it entirely clear). It could have been mitigated should Brew have had a really good excuse for deciding to put his arm where he did. However, he doesn't.............

To be fair I'm about as neutral as it comes in this one. I couldn't really care less about either club.upload_2019-11-12_16-17-30.png

I guess the only thing I question is "high degree of danger". Has anyone ever been seriously damaged (as opposed to merely hurt) by a forearm to the throat? There's no real thrust to it, either, he never punched it forward, just moved it up as he ran. There doesn't seem to be much genuine danger compared to a lot of stuff that is routinely ignored on the pitch.

I guess I'm nitpicking though, the framework is pretty clear - fair enough.

If we were allowed to have a punch up after, yellow or penalty only... under current climate can see why they gave it as red. Point of contact was lower and went up so arguably yellow but Brew is a grub on the pitch and likely did it deliberately - got away with what should have been a minimum of a yellow card in the first round of the prem attacking head of already tackled Morahan- so have little sympathy if it was harsh.

I don't think it was that harsh. It was deliberate and intended to cause harm. The fact that it didn't isn't the point.

As Rinkadink said, Brew does have a bit of form for dishing out cheap shots.

It looks a lot like it was just my unconscious bias thinking that wasn't a red doesn't it.

As for the question of harm. It's not directly comparable but here you go......

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...s-left-him-fearing-for-his-life-a8241031.html

That was a bit different but it's clear that blows to the throat are dangerous and need to be policed pretty severely. It's interesting that others have noted that Brew has form in this area.

I know he's had a long career but he's got 12 yellow cards and one red.......... Compare to say Marland Yarde who has 3, George North 2... Even Ashton whose record is widely acknowledged as appalling has only 10 yellows (in Union). Basically Brew's a bit of a thug I'm afraid........

It looks a lot like it was just my unconscious bias thinking that wasn't a red doesn't it.
Probably but we all want to think best of our players, don't we?

I think there's an argument to be made regarding the point of contact which could drop it to a yellow but as the game is being reffed at the moment it's that at a minimum as above the shoulders is a big no. Needless as well. That said it's nowhere near the worst thing I've seen on a pitch so shouldn't crucify Brew too much.

I guess the only thing I question is "high degree of danger". Has anyone ever been seriously damaged (as opposed to merely hurt) by a forearm to the throat? There's no real thrust to it, either, he never punched it forward, just moved it up as he ran. There doesn't seem to be much genuine danger compared to a lot of stuff that is routinely ignored on the pitch.

I guess I'm nitpicking though, the framework is pretty clear - fair enough.
I'm kind of with you. To me it's an assholish thing to do and should be a yellow card/penalty only. It doesn't quite fall into the "wow you have no regard for the well being of your opponent" red card category.

I'm kind of with you. To me it's an assholish thing to do and should be a yellow card/penalty only. It doesn't quite fall into the "wow you have no regard for the well being of your opponent" red card category.

While I get that, on the other hand he raises his arm out when he has no reason to do so, so it is an arsehole thing to do as it's cynical at the very least. He knew what he was doing and was trying to stop the Northampton player chasing the charge down. Even if he wasn't going out of his way to hurt the player he knew there was a risk that he could by his actions. That's what WR is trying to clamp down on, those contacts that don't look too bad, but can still injure the player, because over a career it builds up.

I also remember someone famous once (can't remember who) saying don't give the ref the opportunity to send you off. Even if you or others disagree, Brew gave the ref the opportunity by being reckless. I personally have little sympathy. Only area I do have a little bit of sympathy in, is that others could well do similar and escape with a YC or just a penalty.

Finally got round to watching the Bath-Northampton game, good performance from Bath especially with a man down. Found some fluidity in attack, clearly the game plan is muscle, but felt like we were starting to add a tiny bit of handling in the right areas. Superb guts to win that second half a man down.

I really, really didn't think much of the Brew red card though, honestly not even convinced it's even a penalty. Is that just my bias - what's the neutral view?

1:04 in the highlights

Since when have referees been OK with you calling them "mate"?

When the referee gives Brew the red, as he's explaining why, the captain just keeps calling the referee "Mate"

I heard Steve Walsh call players 'mate' plenty of times over the years but reciprocation doesn't work for me in this case. I'm sure Walshy and his ego are enjoying a happy retirement together.

I heard Steve Walsh call players 'mate' plenty of times over the years but reciprocation doesn't work for me in this case. I'm sure Walshy and his ego are enjoying a happy retirement together.

Ah but you miss the important bit.

Every single one of those players was awe-struck that they might, just might, actually be considered a mate by Steve Walsh.

Latest posts