• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 19/20 - Round 4

Hughes continues to be the worst player in the premiership at the ruck

Edit: Mauls are such a joke,
Hughes blatantly collapses but then Bristol get the put in?

Double edit: MMaassiivvee win for Bristol!
Table is mental, especially one you remove Sarries points
nQ2ARvr.png

Last edited:
Well that was a disappointment at the end. Reverse of last year fixture in Bristol.

Annoying game from us on Friday night... 19 penalties is just daft and looked toothless in attack.

Starting to wonder whether a switch in management might help us... back line look lost at the moment and we gift teams penalties.

Worst thing about it, is that that's pretty much our strongest line up.. add fekitoa and launch back in with Watson and your pretty much there. ohh and youngs.

Thankfully for you, it's Young rather than Youngs!

A lot of teams have been looking poor. I'm very disappointed with the way Quins have started this season, but I imagine Wasps and Tigers fans feel the same.

Even for the teams doing slightly better, Chiefs have looked flat and one dimensional and Bath's results are better than their performances so far.

So far I think Bristol and London Irish have to be happiest.

Tigers have all their eggs in the Genge, Ford, Tuilagi, May basket really.
Which is the one bright point.

Hopefully Borthwick too.

Which gives me some hope since Quins and Wasps are only 2/1 points ahead of us.

As a Tigers fan I'm not surprised. I saw nothing last season that suggested Tigers were going to turn things around and nothing so far this season. There was a lot of talk about how Matt O'Connor was the problem and the other coaches were being held back, but that's clearly not the case. I've never personally been a fan of promoting from within, but especially when you're struggling and the new head coach has been part of that system. There are clearly huge problems at Leicester, but beyond the pitch it doesn't seem like the powers that be have any idea either what to do. Cockerill actually managed to hide many of the issues for a while by scrapping top 4, but now reality has to surely hit home that things aren't working.

Hopefully Borthwick too.

How's Noel GOAT Reid doing?

From what I've seen Reid has looked like one of Tigers' better players so far this season.

I'm finding it slightly odd that they're playing him at 10 with Hardwick at 12 when the opposite way around looks like a better fit.

Hopefully Borthwick too.

Of course - but then how many Premiership games will they actually play? Assuming all three are selected for the 6N, you might only get 4 or 5 games out of them before March/April.

Of course - but then how many Premiership games will they actually play? Assuming all three are selected for the 6N, you might only get 4 or 5 games out of them before March/April.
Just having a look out of interest; especially after Sanderson had famously said "7 Prem games out of the RWC players" (given that he was assuming 2 Prem KO games, and 9 EPCR)...
4 more Prem weekends before the 6N squad assembles
Then missing 4 rounds during the 6N
Leaving 10 rounds for the run-in

Yeah - that's pretty much my reckoning. Maximum 4 Premiership games before the 6N depending on what kind of test period has been agreed. Obviously Slade, Nowell and LCD featured for Chiefs over the weekend, but they played a lot less rugby than Ford, May, Tuilagi and Youngs. Genge and Cole will probably be back sooner.

Finally got round to watching the Bath-Northampton game, good performance from Bath especially with a man down. Found some fluidity in attack, clearly the game plan is muscle, but felt like we were starting to add a tiny bit of handling in the right areas. Superb guts to win that second half a man down.

I really, really didn't think much of the Brew red card though, honestly not even convinced it's even a penalty. Is that just my bias - what's the neutral view?

1:04 in the highlights

Finally got round to watching the Bath-Northampton game, good performance from Bath especially with a man down. Found some fluidity in attack, clearly the game plan is muscle, but felt like we were starting to add a tiny bit of handling in the right areas. Superb guts to win that second half a man down.

I really, really didn't think much of the Brew red card though, honestly not even convinced it's even a penalty. Is that just my bias - what's the neutral view?

Well he doesn't have to bring his elbow up so its red shoulder to shoulder its nothing

Tbh his arm is behind him and then he brings it forward away from his body and into the players neck. Honestly don't see any reason for his arm to be there unless he intends to hit the him. I think by the framework it's red, though I will concede that others might get away with it in other games. However that was a lot more blatant and he wasn't even carrying the ball.

It's a forearm fend to the neck.
You could argue that bringing the arm up was part of his natural running style, but i think it would be a stretch and ultimately, the end result is still a forearm fend/strike to the neck.
There'd be room for debate if he was a ball carrier (probably "harsh but fair"), but he wasn't, so no real complaint about the red.

Latest posts