• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

It will be interesting to see if the plan for Mitchell's recovery is now changed as Borthwick now gets the final say

Chessum, Martin and Itoje suggest one is playing at 6.
With no Willis in the squad I'm predicting CCS gets at least one start at 8 this international period
Wouldn't be surprised if Borthwick is eyeing up a Chessum/Earl/CCS first choice backrow for the 6N

In the press articles I've read the contract lengths are quoted as varying between 1 and 3 years and there's no mention of any intention to hand out more, instead just saying that SB's concentrating on his 'core' players.

Begs all kind of questions.

As for Dan, he's lucky but George is running out of steam and rightly or wrongly SB has clearly identified him as the successor. So the logic's fine if not the judgement.

In the press articles I've read the contract lengths are quoted as varying between 1 and 3 years and there's no mention of any intention to hand out more, instead just saying that SB's concentrating on his 'core' players.

Begs all kind of questions.

As for Dan, he's lucky but George is running out of steam and rightly or wrongly SB has clearly identified him as the successor. So the logic's fine if not the judgement.
Apparently some more might be given out post six Nations.

I suspect we will see a good few of those who missed out leave England in the coming years.

Worth remembering that we've been told repeatedly that players won't have their feet held to the fire to sign these contracts.
Some will want the security of signing, others would rather take the gamble that they'll play more than 6(?) times anyear, and get paid more in match fees.

Wouldn't be surprised if 25 were offered, and 8 declined.

Worth remembering that we've been told repeatedly that players won't have their feet held to the fire to sign these contracts.
Some will want the security of signing, others would rather take the gamble that they'll play more than 6(?) times anyear, and get paid more in match fees.

Wouldn't be surprised if 25 were offered, and 8 declined.
Surely more would have declined if it means decent chance of a pay cut. And why none of the big names have declined?

Given that contracts are cheaper than PAYG - that's unlikely
But it does mean no unneeded rotations of those 17 to avoid paying effectively twice.

Also match fees always feel like a bit of an issue with big training squads involving lots of training work and being away from home and then not getting paid as much due to not making the 23

Plus I do wonder how any players will feel if they do feel they have got less money because in the end they would got more on match fees. Might where come 2028 they is a demand for top up on top of these p.

Last edited: