• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

I think you mostly want, whatever the zietgiest isn't - so long as the basics are at least capable.

If most teams have athletic props who can pass and sidestep and move the point of attack - then there's a weakness to exploit in the tight.
If most teams have a monster who needs a lock with a wheelbarrow to move them from one scrum to the next, then there's a weakness to exploit in the loose (as long as they can kinda hold their own in the scrum against most opponents).

The same goes elsewhere as well - if everyone's got ersatz FHs in the 12 shirt, then a gain-line battering ram can make hay. If everyone's got a battering ram, then someone who can dance their way through traffic and get the ball away is worth his weight in gold.

However, for all of these, you need to have the playing resources capable of both coping with what other teams are throwing at them AND good enough to exploit those weaknesses (as opposed to trying to make a Tindall & Noon midfield a handling duo, for ... I still don't know why)

Fordjour does look someone who combines both the requirements or strong and technically excellent in the tight and someone who is very strong in the loose. He's not tall but clearly incredibly powerful...

Let's see how he goes in the prem this season...he'll probably get some extra gametime and starts.

I'm not sold on Fasogabon just yet...he's a huge lump but I want to see him show me more..ie technique to go with that size. But he's young..and Gloucester are shy of THs this season if my memory serves so he could well get plenty of gametime...

Sela at Bath....generally been the go to tighthead at U20 level..Stuart hasn't made that Senior England spot his and I don't think he's going to either but hes good at prem level..and with Du Toit able to cover TH or LH...how much game time will Sella get? .

I'd really like to see Joe Hayes come alive under Chieka and step up..but not looking likely at the moment.

Big season ahead for ALOT of England fringe and younger hopes.

Sela at Bath....generally been the go to tighthead at U20 level..Stuart hasn't made that Senior England spot his and I don't think he's going to either but hes good at prem level..and with Du Toit able to cover TH or LH...how much game time will Sella get?
Don't forget Griffin, he's the one that needs game time this season.
Hopefully Sela gets no game time for Bath this year. Maybe a bench appearance in the prem cup, but mostly on loan to the championship.

Joe Heyes is so meh and at 25 years old just hasn't shown anything that promising yet. Hopefully when Cole retires he can make that 3 jersey his own and come into his own a bit but I've got the feeling they'll replace Cole with another starter when he does retire.

Joe Heyes is so meh and at 25 years old just hasn't shown anything that promising yet. Hopefully when Cole retires he can make that 3 jersey his own and come into his own a bit but I've got the feeling they'll replace Cole with another starter when he does retire.
Yeah I kind of think this is Joe's time to show of he's really going to hit the levels rhay was hoped when he came on the scene. Big season for him.

Hopefully Sela gets no game time for Bath this year. Maybe a bench appearance in the prem cup, but mostly on loan to the championship.
Isn't he Welsh aligned?

Isn't he Welsh aligned?
Yes. But he's still 4 years older than Sela, and ahead of him in the pecking order.
Not to mention, physically ready for more than the odd bench appearance hear and there.

Who cares about an Welsh/Aussie prop getting game time? I'd hope Sela at least gets some Premiership Cup appearances.

I agree. 'Meh' is exactly the right expression.

However … the generally accepted wisdom is that props mature slowly. At 25, he's still young for a tighthead so I wouldn't write him off completely.

Heyes needs feeding up, he looks like Cole when they got him working with Olympic sprinting coaches

Stop his cardio training and triple his dessert portions in the canteen and see where we stand after that

Yes. But he's still 4 years older than Sela, and ahead of him in the pecking order.
Not to mention, physically ready for more than the odd bench appearance hear and there.
In terms of Bath yes..but we're talking about EQ players...

But Sela is only 18 isn't he? Or maybe 19 so very young...

Purely in terms of age and physical development, Heyes is perfect for some focused England development.
Yep. The raw material seems to be there. Hopefully Catt's scrum school and more game time will help. There's also the additional factor of a new head coach at Tigers. Maybe Cheika will take a shine to him and help him develop?

Van Wyk was pretty weak scrummaging last couple seasons which I felt hindered Heyes a few times

Nicky Smith should help massively

What is Will Goodrick-Clarke like? We've signed him and he looks like a big boy who is slightly more agile than our biggest boy, Painter (god love him)

Yeah Goodrick Clarke I'd have taken in a heartbeat at the falcons. Always looked a very good prop...

Didn't know Exeter have signed him....Great signing for you.

If Slade is out for quite a while which looks likely...where do you go with the centers?

Do you look at bringing a 12 in and moving OL to his natural 13..or keep OL at 12 and bring in another 13..

I imagine they'll keep Lawrence at 12 to try and build him up there, though I wouldn't be overly surprised at Dingwall going there

Depending whether he gets game time there for Saints (saw that, due to injuries, there's a good chance he will) I'd like to see Freeman get a go at 13

Im not sure Freeman will be playing 13...only in emergency. Just develop him into a good a winger / full back as they can. Probably winger.

Im going to be watching young Litchfield with interest. Think he'll get more gametime for Saints this season...a big powerful carrier but decent skillset aswell..only 21.

Will Masai White be expected to get many minutes for sale this season?
Hpefuly Hartley is recovering well from his bad injury

Theres a few who need to push on..
Dan Kelly
Ojomoh

How will Will Joseph go this season, and Oscar Beard...and is Northmore an option?

Is Dingwall powerful enough for 12 at international level?

Latest posts