• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

It'll still be known as Twickenham / HQ whatever people already call it...so not sure if there is an issue...

It'll still be known as Twickenham / HQ whatever people already call it...so not sure if there is an issue...

It will be known as Twickenham to everyone who is already an adult. I'm not so sure it will be called Twickenham in thirty years by people who haven't been born yet.

I'm not going to riot over it, I just feel a bit sad. I understand why the RFU have done it (I'd do a lot of bad things for £10m pa), but I do wish they could have agreed to call it the Twickenham Allianz stadium rather than the Allianz stadium.

Are media/broadcasters contracted to use the Allianz name when commentating or creating segments etc?

I didnt realise that the RFU need £660m to renovate / update Twickenham.

Be better off just selling it, and rebuilding HQ in the middle of the country so all fans can get to see them play.

I didnt realise that the RFU need £660m to renovate / update Twickenham.

Be better off just selling it, and rebuilding HQ in the middle of the country so all fans can get to see them play.
Apparently £300 essential work and the rest is upgrades. I wonder if it would be feasible to actually sell and build something in the midlands maybe but can never see the looser Sweeny moving Twickers out of the posh heartland where he can sell the England tickets to idiot bankers who don't watch the game.

Apparently £300 essential work and the rest is upgrades. I wonder if it would be feasible to actually sell and build something in the midlands maybe but can never see the looser Sweeny moving Twickers out of the posh heartland where he can sell the England tickets to idiot bankers who don't watch the game.
Rugby...

For me, Walters leaving is a continuation of coaches regularly leaving the England setup. I know it's a new HC and it's still early in a WC cycle. But for too long we had too many coaching changes and England really need some stability.

Tom Tombleson (S&C coach who has been around since the Lancaster days) has left today too - wonder if it's part of a clear out (i.e. newcomer wants their own staff) or he's following Walters to Ireland?
Weird they'd both leave on the same day if not related

A Borthwick appointment and only stayed a very short period of time.

Who knows what the true story is, but from what's been said, aside from the pure S&C stuff he was a very upbeat presence around the squad.

New guy will have different ideas. Not great just when we're on a bit of an upward curve.

Since Jones first took over, haven't we had the highest turnaround of support staff in the world? That surely can't help team cohesion.

I don't really think it's fair to lay that turnover at Borthwick's door though. Ireland are a better team than us right now and if they also made him a better offer, I can understand why he'd leave.

It's not like the merry go round under Eddie.

I don't really think it's fair to lay that turnover at Borthwick's door though. Ireland are a better team than us right now and if they also made him a better offer, I can understand why he'd leave.

And his Partner is Irish..that will be a big factor.

Seem to recall we beat them last time out and went further in the RWC. 😀

If money spoke that's one thing. (Just seen the partner comment too).

But Eng look as if they might be on the cusp of something good where he could make a real difference. Ire have more structure, but also a bit of a golden generation feel about them. From a purely professional perspective wouldn't you want to be involved with something with a bit of momentum? With Ire it feels like the best he can do is help maintain the status quo.

Not saying Borthwick necessarily, but definitely the national team setup. We've also had all the talk about Sinfield leaving, Wigglesworth leaving and then not. There needs to be a long term plan in place and coaching appointments should be based on that. I'm not expecting that Borthwick should only be appointing people who will be there in 4 years time, but the intention should be that this is a coaching group to take England to the WC. At the moment it's a concern that we might be continuing a trend. Hopefully this is the end rather than the start, but we'll see.

Well it is what it is, theres some really excellent S&C coaches out there...im sure they'll find one who be just whats required (though may lack a little bit of Walters experience, but most people will to be fair)

Seem to recall we beat them last time out and went further in the RWC. 😀

If money spoke that's one thing. (Just seen the partner comment too).

But Eng look as if they might be on the cusp of something good where he could make a real difference. Ire have more structure, but also a bit of a golden generation feel about them. From a purely professional perspective wouldn't you want to be involved with something with a bit of momentum? With Ire it feels like the best he can do is help maintain the status quo.

Not sure how we have a golden generation feel about us as that's what the 07ish team was supposed to be. It's certainly quite a prolonged golden generation if it is one.

I'm sure there's plenty of excitement in the job for him, certainly he'll get way more access and oversight of the player's than with England.

Latest posts