• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Ford is looking less like a long term option. He's had a few injuries recently. I don't mind if players have been fit a while, but I really hope we don't get into another Manu situation of picking him regardless and hoping he won't be injured.

Considering he's in camp atm it'd be Atkinson, but I think Skinner is better (though neither international quality...yet? Atkinson has a high ceiling but form way too erratic to know if he'll get there)
I'm hoping Louie Johnson gets a good amount of game time at Saracens cause he's looks really good

Realistically though I think F. Smith looks like he'll make the step up to international rugby well, that 14 man game away at Munster was such a mature/polished performance at such a young age

I don't see Skinner ever being an international standard 10. He's 26 and while he might improve a bit, I don't think it will be to the extent that he is a genuine option for England.

Atkinson and Bailey have some promise but the former has the advantage of more game time at club level which will at least give him more opportunities to gain experience/work on his weaknesses. Anscombe could be a decent mentor who probably won't threaten his playing time too much given his injury record. I don't see Bailey leapfrogging Russell.

After that we're a bit thin on the ground. Johnson could do well at Saracens but Burke has clearly been signed as Farrell's replacement. I definitely don't want to advocate poaching, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if Burke is on the England radar if he does well.

I don't see Skinner ever being an international standard 10.
Yeah that bit was more about Atkinson - Skinner would be the better option if everyone dropped out tomorrow, but that's about it

F Smith is fine, he was dancing round plenty today so his leg is good to go.

Ted Hill is an interesting one, I don't know if he does enough dirty work though. Watching him a couple of times this season he seems to hang out wide a lot which might be a tactic but that's not going to go down well as an intentional 6 not spreadsheet master SB.

Pearson needs a pre season at saints. He hasn't looked 100% since coming back from injury. Certainly not someone I'd start against the all blacks.

Our squad feels like it's going to be deft of experience. Let's hope not.

We probably will be light on experience in some areas, but there's a good core who have plenty - 5 or 6 in the likely starting pack should have over 50 caps for example.

Moreover, most of us wouldn't have wanted Daly and probably would have preferred more game time for the Smiths than Ford, so some of the big drop offs in experience are good changes.

Ted Hill is an interesting one, I don't know if he does enough dirty work though. Watching him a couple of times this season he seems to hang out wide a lot which might be a tactic but that's not going to go down well as an intentional 6 not spreadsheet master SB.
Luxury Giraffe.

TBF, a lot of teams play with a flanker stood out on each wing in attack to help (or set up) ruck once a break is no longer on.
I think it was JvG who said that Ted was the fastest player in the Bath side.

So looking something like this from that squad

1 - Marler - Rodd - Baxter
2 - George - Dan - Oghre
3 - Cole - Stuart - Heyes
4 - Itoje - Coles
5 - Martin - Ewels
6 - Roots - Cunningham-South
7 - Underhill - Curry - Curry
8 - Earl - Dombrandt
9 - Mitchell - Spencer - Randall
10 - Smith - Smith
11/14 - Freeman - Feyi-Waboso - Sleightholme - Roebuck
12/13 - Lawrence - Slade - Dingwall - Northmore
15 - Furbank - Steward - Carpenter

Assuming Langdon's injury in the final is what's kept him out?
If it's not I'll be raging!
I'm happy with that squad, barring no Langdon - surprised at both Currys and both of Roebuck/Carpenter going, thought it'd be one of each

Still a bit sceptical about Tom touring but Sanderson has said he's been very mature about his recovery and hasn't tried to rush back or push deadlines or anything, so just gotta trust in the medical staff signing him off - certainly didn't look to have a skipped a beat in the final

Last edited:
Nice squad really, excited to see how our back line play against the ABs.

As an aside and I know I've mentioned before- would a summer off not be of massive benefit for the likes of Itoje, George etc?

Mitchell/Spencer/Randall is a surprise; is JvP injured?

Can only assume that Langdon is injured, otherwise it's freakish that the form hooker in the Prem can't get a game.

CCS and Roots for 6 is probably predictable, but just makes me slightly nervous; wonder if there will be some sort of 'playing someone out of position' shenanagins?

I thought JvP has looked back to his best after his injury, and certainly better than when everyone tried to make him into Captain Kick, Slow, Kick, Kick, Slow.

Edit: it sounded like I was praising Ewels...